• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Scotland and England
Scotland and England
CulzieDate: Friday, 2009-03-06, 3:58 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Though the two peoples came together in Ulster in mutal defence I didn't know they were united in common cause many years before that. October 1560.

The boiling point came one Sunday in a local parish church in Perth at which Knox was speaking. His speech so enflamed the gathered crowd that when a priest attempted to say mass afterwards, a riot broke out in which all of the statues of the church were destroyed. After ransacking that church, the mob moved out to other religious houses in the community. The Catholic Queen Mary responded to the mob riot by sending French troops in to quell it. The Protestants in turn invited English troops in to assist them in the rebellion. This Protestant army succeeded in taking Edinburgh in October of 1560. A few days later, French troops were able to reclaim the city, although temporarily, with the inhabitants rejoicing. The citizen's opinion of the Protestant army was that it was a mob of heretics and traitors. However, this “mob” did eventually win out over the Catholic troops, with 11,000 English soldiers assisting the 2,000 Scottish Protestants.

On July 6, 1560, the treaty of Edinburgh declared Scotland and England allies, with England the “protector” of Scotland. All French troops were removed. In August of that year the Scottish Parliament abolished papal jurisdiction over Scottish churches and officially adopted a Calvinist confession drawn up by John Knox. The mass was outlawed. The Presbyterian Church was now the official church of Scotland.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

SlappataigDate: Sunday, 2009-03-08, 12:46 PM | Message # 2
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
thats a class bit of history

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2009-03-11, 4:26 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Quote (Slappataig)
thats a class bit of history

Yeah Slappa it was news to me. First I'd heard of that.

I knew when they came to Ulster,that they had to stick together. One thing I remember reading was ''on a cold dark night with the wolves howling on the hills and the kerne lurking in the woods,you didn't ask whether your nearest neighbour was Scots or English. You had to stick together''. Of course it was the same at Londonderry,the two peoples together.

This is a wee piece from a Tourist Book,and then Marshall's poem....'The Twain'

A great Ulster asset is the remarkable network of small well matained side roads....an esotoric researcher once declared that Ulster had more good little roads leading nowhere in particular than any country except Japan. This is a legacy of the plantation,in the 17th centry,when English and Scottish settlers linked themselves closely by tracks from farm to farm and village to village. The Scots were by far the most numerous and to day Ulster has an overall Scottish look and sound about it. The early settlers left their distinctive mark in towns like Londonderry and Armagh
Ward Lock Tourist Guide.

THE TWAIN
They were twain when they crossed the sea,
And often their folk had warred
But side by side on the ramparts wide,
They cheered as the gates were barred
And they cheered as they passed their king
To the ford that daunted none
For,field or ford it was each for all
When the Lord had made them one.

Thistle and Rose,he twined them close
When their fathers crossed the sea,
And they dyed them red the live and the dead
In the land where the lint grows free
Where the blue-starred lint grows free
Here in the northern sun,
Till his way was plain,he led the Twain
And he forged them into one.

They were One when they crossed the sea
To the land of hope and dreams.
Salute them now,whom none could cow
Nor hold in light esteem!
Whose footsteps far in peace and war
Still sought the setting sun!
With a dauntless word and long bright sword -
The Twain whom God made one!

And they grew in strength as the years went by,
And the travail of Empire came
And they went then forth to the ends of the earth
With the flag of ancient fame
Till round the world that flag unfurled
Pursued the circling sun
While foremost still when the day went ill
Were the Twain whom God made one.

Up-lifted high,that flag will fly
Above the Ulster-Born
They'll hold it dear,and guard it here
Unmoved by threat or scorn,
And keep the gate,despite dictate,
As did the Twain made one
And undismayed at the last parade,
Fall in and hear..''Well Done''

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2011-09-10, 0:55 AM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Never knew about this, thanks for sharing, it's true what they say "you learn something new every day".

CulzieDate: Monday, 2011-09-12, 9:34 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
I was a bit suprised myself when I came across it. I picked it up somewhere on the net. Tried to find it againg but had no luck. Wikipedia mentions it and I found this wee piece. Though it says Leith it probably includes Edinburgh.

‘THE English army came, and English and Scots together laid siege to the town of Leith, where the French had fortified themselves. This was surely a remarkable thing to have happened – the Scots fighting along with the English, who had so long been their enemies, against the French, who had so long been their friends.’1 On 6th July 1560, a significant date in Scottish history, the Treaty of Leith, or of Edinburgh, was arranged by Scotland, England and France after the surrender of the French. On the following day an unknown cartographer drew a remarkable map which is the subject of this paper. for more click here

http://www.leithhistory.co.uk/2007....th-1560

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Scotland and England
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: