• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Alex Higgins
Alex Higgins
CulzieDate: Sunday, 2010-08-01, 3:59 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
The funeral of Alex will take place tomorrow leaving his sister's house in Iverna St/Roden at around 9-15 am. It will go via Donegall Rd,Sandy Row,Hope St,Great Victoria St,Fisherwick Place,Wellington Place Donegall Square North (front of City Hall) Donegall Place,Royal Avenue and Lower Donegall St for the service at St Annes Cathedral.

I believe the hearse will be a horse drawn one. Big crowds are expected along the route.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2010-08-01, 10:39 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Load ...
Just thinkin maybe this thread should have been in the sports section. But never mind its here now. Seen this piece about Higgy. Thought it was OK. He was indeed a Belfast Boy. Not very often I would agree with McCann but he seems to have got it OK with this piece.

by Eamonn McCann

Alex Higgins was the most dazzling player snooker has ever seen, but he never learned to play the celebrity game. After he’d won the world championship for the second time in 1982, the media and the sports establishment wanted to confer on him the glamour that was now deemed his entitlement.

But he couldn’t make the transition. He’d always remain a working class waif carrying Belfast within him.

This, his unspoilt authenticity, was both his defining glory and fatal flaw.

Some will remember cringing at his appearance with Terry Wogan on the night after his 1982 triumph.

“You both seem very happy now,” beamed the genial presenter to Alex and his wife, Lynn, “but you have gone through some rocky times in your marriage recently...What was that all about, Alex?”

“Don’t ask me, ask her”, Alex shot back, nodding towards Lynn. “It was her that flew the coop.”

“Crass” didn’t cover it in the context of a celebrity interview. But it might have sounded a lot different as part of banter with pals in a Belfast pub.

And that’s the thing. Alex acted and talked like he’d never left Sandy Row or stopped hanging out in the Jampot snooker hall trying to make a rise for the few pints. He just didn’t get the celebrity thing.

His most outrageous outburst came in 1990 when he delivered what seemed a sectarian murder threat to Dennis Taylor. It was along the lines of, “I’m a Prod, you’re a Taig, I’ll have you shot.”

Appalling. But definitely something you might hear on a Northern Ireland street.

Transcended

The fact that he’d never managed, or sought, to slough off his background endeared Alex to millions who fervently disapproved of much of his behaviour.

Some of us spent years watching Higgins’ matches through our fingers. He was one of us and that transcended all.

We all have moments in sport imprinted in our minds: Carl Lewis at Seoul, Wang Junxia at Atlanta, Maradona’s second against England in Mexico, Ali versus Frazier, Arkle and Mill Reef.

But who can remember exactly from years back a snooker shot by anyone other than Alex Higgins?

The blue to the green pocket in the course of his decisive 69 break when one down with two to go in the semi-final against Jimmy White in 1982.

Shots of unimaginable daring, clearances of imperious grace. The speed of his play when form was flowing was poetry in fast-forward motion, the slow tension of his safety battles too tight for taut nerves.

I saw him in a late-night shop on Great Victoria Street in Belfast about a year ago. He was in the queue to buy cigarettes, pasty-faced, shambling, nobody taking him on.

I watched him lean forward across the counter, holding out his palm with the coins for the fellow serving him to count out the price.

Then he turned and walked past me to the door. There was sadness etched into a face composed into a determined semblance of stoicism.

Not knowing what to say, I called after him, “Good on you, Alex.” He half-turned, and smiled like sunshine had just been splashed on his face.

Then he walked off towards Sandy Row and the tiny flat where he was living out his wasted days and where he was to die alone last week amid the dire poverty and depression in which he’d first seen the light of day, which can twist the mind and stunt the spirit.

All the more miraculous that he should in his time have so stirred our spirits, lifted us momentarily above the mundane reality of life. You couldn’t ask more from him.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Monday, 2010-08-02, 5:31 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
A few photos taken at todays funeral of the 'Hurricane'

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2010-08-06, 11:47 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
A sad end for a man who blew away it all. No doubting he was a character, seen him a few times in the royal in Sandy Row, took up a whole table, with a drink, his glasses and the racing post. May be he enjoyed himself during his glory years but him and George Best both from loyalist communities and both had a god given talent but probably both never reached their full protential due to their antics.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2010-08-09, 3:19 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yeah RSAUB. So very true. I went to watch the funeral and ran into a mate. We went to the City Hall and signed the condolence book. I put at the comments section...

You lit up the world of snooker,you lit up our world God Bless

And so Higgins did on both counts. Some folks would say he and Geordie were wasters,scoundrels etc etc and yes there is a lot of truth in that. But what you seen was what you got,unlike politicans,some clergy etc who wear a mask and present themselves as great and good ,but in reality only look at people as commodities to be used for their own ends. Higgy and Geordie didn't set themselves up as being virtueous. 'Iam what Iam' (to borrow a line from the Bible).

Think that sums them up

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2010-08-15, 5:51 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Load ...
From the Shankill Mirror

Alex a proud young Ulster man was born and bred in the heart of Sandy Row, Donegall Road area. His early days of youth was spent with his other mates from around this vicinity, they all passed many long and happy hours in the now famous Jam Pot Club. It was a real magnet for the young stars who just wanted to learn the basic shots and skills of the game. For some a real dream that one day of becoming a champion on the green baize. From the Jam Pot to the Crucible, Alex strut his talent for all to savour and soon became a household name.

His first big Jack Pot was winning the World title in 1972 and later in 1982 he clinched the crown again in that never forgotten semi final against his arch rival Jimmy ‘The Whirlwind' White. His devastating 69 break clearance left Jimmy stunned and Alex went on to win the Grand Final showdown against Ray Rearden and another World title.

Sometimes Alex’s temperament was a little moody and the punters just accepted him at face value. But overall he could handle matters and also keep his few critics at bay in a professional manner. But the truth is Alex was the Peoples true Champion in every aspect of the game. The flagship he wore with great pride and certainly the envy of many of his fellow professionals.

In a nutshell Alex made snooker and the Crucible and lets hope it continues on the same wavelength. Now Alex is resting in peace no more pain with his maker, along with other sporting heroes soccer legend George Best and motor cycle ace Joey Dunlop.

Our sincere deepest sympathy is warmly extended to the Higgins family circle.
The final farewell and respects shown by the citizens of Belfast and others across the province is so richly deserved for the Peoples Champion, gone but not forgotten.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Alex Higgins
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: