• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Tony Blair View
Tony Blair View
CulzieDate: Thursday, 2010-09-16, 7:57 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Mr Blair said that when he came to office he quickly concluded that there could be no victors in the Troubles.

''One of the most extraordinary aspects of the entire tragedy was that anyone ever seriously thought there was going to be a winner: that the IRA believed that a nation as proud as Britain could be bombed out of Northern Ireland,where a majority regarded themselves as citizens of the United Kingdom: the British goverment believed Irish nationalism was containable without paradigm change in the treatment of Irish Catholics; that the unionists ever believed that on an island where a majority supported a united Ireland and were Catholic nationalists,they could ever refuse to share power with them.'' he said.

Irish News Thur Sept 2 2010

Seems to me with the last few lines that he doesn't see Ulster as separate and a different country.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2010-09-16, 11:20 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Say's it all about how important it is to actually show the world that this is a different nation to Eire.

And in all honesty Tony Blairs grandfather was an Orangeman from Donegal, and as a former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom he couldn't grasp that Northern Ireland was a different nation to Eire, regardless of his own political viewpoint on what it should or shouldn't belong too. The politicians need to start really finding for recognition for Northern Ireland, i.e. getting the status of our flag sorted out properly. The name Northern Ireland is always going to drag us down like a big rope around our necks, but getting the name changed isn't realistically going to happen in the foreseeable future.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2010-09-17, 2:29 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yeah I agree we are up against it re getting the name changed especially with the TV/Radio reluctant to use it. Funny enough that doesn't seem to apply so much to the written word, as Ulster seems to be used fairly regularly in the NL and BT.,though even there not as often as it once was. If the media decided to use Ulster you can bet though time it would become the norm. But NI is once again the halfway house that is so beloved by the social engineers. Also you get people saying that Londonderry is too long (the old excuse) to say,so hence Derry. Yet they will say Northernirish or Northernirishman or Northernirishwoman,rather than Ulsterman/Ulsterwoman. Thats why I think Ullish would be ideal. Not only is it short but it can also cover both genders.

Re Tony Blair and his understanding(or misunderstanding) of Ulster as a separate nation. That again is partly because of the lack of a completely different name. I mentioned before about Scotland and how people see Scotland as being different from the country to the south of them. I believe the different name has played a big part in this. Names identify people and places and a host of other things. We fell down very badly on this,though I think Craig and some unionists did their best,they were let down by other unionists who clung to the Irishness thing. In a sense what has worked to the advantage of Scottish nationalists (their different name) would have filled the same function for Ulster unionists.

DeValera decided to call his country its Gaelic name...Eire,but very quickly dropped this when he realised that the 26 counties were being called Eire and the six counties NI and Ulster. If that had been left as it was we would have today Eire and Ulster(or NI) which in the eyes of the world would come to be seen as two different countries on this island. This would be similar to Haiti and the Dominican Republic on the island of Hispanolia. One thing which bugs me about our people is their lack of vision. They won't strike out and 'go for it' type of thing. I mentioned a National Stadium and a National Park,things which implies that we are a country in our own right. A mick on a BBC site was cock-a-hoop when Gregory Campbell ditched the National Stadium,his line was he thanked Campbell for doing this and laughing at the idea of us having a 'National' anything...we are not a country he said. He then went into something in Gaelic and three cheers for Gregory.

Where there is no vision the people perish. Thats from somewhere in the Bible,and sums it up.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2010-09-17, 8:37 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Yes, we really do lack vision, the politicians on our side are the worst out for this. They are useless. As a community we have a defeatist attitude. These things needs to change before the situation gets worse.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2010-09-22, 10:39 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Whe you look the way the Protestant community once were and where we are today. <_< I think one of the first things they set out to do is take away a pride a people may have of their forefathers,faith.culture etc. They certainly did that,republicans assisted by the both goverments. We were really up against it. But we carry on we had the the same sort of thing to contend with in the Siege and in 41 and 98. In fact they probably had it tougher than we have had,though that not to take anything away from our true Ullish people of today. Deil tha fit they'll budge us.

But we always will have to be vigilant both in respect of the enemy and those fifth-columists in our midst.

Eternal Vigilance Is The Price Of Freedom

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Tony Blair View
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: