Wednesday, 2024-05-15, 0:46 AM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Ulster v N.I.
Ulster v N.I.
CulzieDate: Thursday, 2010-11-25, 5:01 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Back in the 1970s the Goverment Papers were released under the 50 year rule as it was then. They are now released after 30 years has elapsed.

These papers as reported in the Press showed that the Ulster Unionist leaders had argured with their Westminster Masters for the name 'Ulster' to be used for the new state to be. The Westminster Masters would not agree and insisted on Northern Ireland being the name,.

Iam reminded of this by the History Column in the Irish News....

'In 1949,in reaction to the south's decision to declare a republic,the Unionist PM Lord Brookeborough sought to change the official name of Northern Ireland to Ulster. His plea was rejected by the otherwise sympathetic Attlee Labour goverment on the grounds that 'the north was not Ulster' while such a move would outrage Irishmen in the dominions'.

Eamon Phoenix,Irish News, Friday November 19 2010

So there you have it. The founding fathers preferred the 'Ulster' name,and so it was 20 years later. However,on both ocassions the Westminster Masters rejected these requests. But it does show that 'Ulster' was the name they wished their country to be called. And of course away before all that they had set up a Provisional Goverment of Ulster.

But the above article also shows that Attlee believed it would ''outrage the Irishmen in the dominions''. So it would seem that Northern Ireland would NOT cause them to be 'outraged',but 'Ulster' would. That seems to answer those within unionism who say that the Irish don't want unionists to say they are Irish. On the contrary, they (according to Attlee) would welcome the NI name rather the 'Ulster' one

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2010-11-29, 0:09 AM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
All very true, and as Eamon Phoenix clearly says "those within unionism who say that the Irish don't want unionists to say they are Irish" are clearly living in a dream land or at worse the fifth column within our ranks. It's all clear as day the name Northern Ireland is all about appeasing the Irish, not widening the cultural cap between our community and the Irish, making it easier to bring about unification and not alienating the Irish any further, after all they are very good at kicking and screaming and those who shout the loudest are always the ones who are heard the most, now i'm sure if we had a caused the Attlee government considerable headache and demonstrated and instead of being polite conservative individuals who obeyed our political masters at westminsters every word, we may have actually got somewhere and finally got rid of this bloody rock around our heads ie the name Northern Ireland.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2010-11-29, 9:56 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yeah that something like how Eric Montgomery described the name of N.I. and there has being a big emphasis on pushing that name since the Belfast Agreement was signed. I noticed it getiing used more from that moment on. But even before that we had Ulster Television becoming Your television and the Red Hand off the Tourist Logo. So many dropping of symbols which helped give us a separate identity that I lost count.

When they did away with the Ulster Rifles and brought Irish into the title again they also took the motto of one of the previous regiments. The one they chose was the Irish Fusilers one Faugh-A-Ballagh. They could have as easily chosen the Ulster Rifles one which they might not have wanted to do because of its UDA connections. That would have been their excuse anyway. But then why not use the Royal Enniskillen Fusilers one...Nec Aspera,by difficulties undaunted. But no. Both the Rifles and the Skins did not have 'Irish' in their title,and both mottos were Latin. So once again it had to be the Irish which prevailed.

Theres no doubt about it for whatever the reason (and I think we have an idea) the English/British won't promote anything which gives us an Ulster identity. In fact they discourage it.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2010-11-29, 11:33 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Yip 100%, our identity as Ulster men and our British identity is embarrassing for the institutions that govern us across the water. Our sort of patriotism in their eyes belongs in victorian times. Their very concept of Britishness is one that supposedly is tolerant, multicultural and nothing more than a political identity for any tom dick and harry. To me it is one of an ethnic identity, i share with my kith and kin throughout the World. The Britishness I love and aspire is to quote Steve Bruce "that of Kiplings era", and that is true, this new modern made political concept of Britishness is a farce. Same with our identity, the whole idea of their being two clearly separate distinct identities on this Island is absolutely abhorrent in the eyes of the political elite, who look at nothing more than solutions to bring the people together, never mind anything that will divide them, no matter what the cultural and political problems it stores up for those in Ulster who love the red, white and blue.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2010-11-30, 4:01 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Brilliantly put RSAUB. Yes our old fashioned traditional patriotism is maybe an embarrasment to them nowdays. I believe TV has had a lot to do with this (though it was creeping in before that). TV shows like 'That Was The Week That Was' and 'Till Death Us Do Part' all ridiculed old fashioned patriotism and if you put it over as 'its only a bit of a laugh' then you can get away with almost anything. You are a killjoy if you object or a bigot even.

Yeah these script writers and the rest knew what they were doing. What they had set out to do.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Ulster v N.I.
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: