• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Ulster Day
Ulster Day
RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2011-09-28, 9:40 PM | Message # 1
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
I can't over-state how angry I am. Today is Ulster Day and what's happening to celebrate this glorious Day in our history?

All I could see on the internet was a Parade in Portadown tonight by the Orange with two bands taking part, so hardly a big parade.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2011-09-29, 2:00 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
I didn't even know about Portadown. A few years back there was a lot of talk about Ulster Day (believe there is some of it on this site). At that time it seemed to be Scotland did more to remember the day. There was a fairly big show of support for Ulster Day at Ibrox Park etc. However,I said before about going to Ballymena where there had been a parade for a couple of years but when we went that had been scrubbed and there was nothing except a meeting in some OH outside Ballymena.

The country which dare not speak its name sad angry

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2011-10-01, 10:41 PM | Message # 3
Colonel general
Load ...
Well see the parade in Portadown i'm not even sure if it was a Drumcree protest parade or an Ulster Day parade, even if one happened as I seen it on the parades commission website yet i read within the past week or so that the Orange Order have suspended one of their protests at Drumcree.

I would say a lot of it has to do with money, next year with it being the big 100th anniversary a lot of groups will probably be jumping on the bandwagon seeking all kinds of funding, regardless i hope there is a lot of activity and next year will be the start of something of substance, i.e. education on our heritage and initiatives’ designed to last to promote Ulster day.

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-10-02, 3:05 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
Really this should become a day to remember. As something I read recently said..America became independent on such and such a date (just forget now) but it was the earlier Declaration of Independence which is remembered most. And so it seems to be the case with the Ulster Covenant and the actual founding of the NI state.

I read last year that the Shankill didn't take down the flags etc until Ulster Day had passed. Thats a move in the right direction.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2011-10-02, 6:07 PM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Load ...
Indeed it is a move in the right direction. At least with next year being the big anniversary it will at least make a lot more people aware of it, so it's not down and out yet.

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-10-02, 7:40 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Load ...
Hopefully we can build on events next year and not sit back and say thats it to the 125 or 150 year mark.

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2011-10-02, 9:30 PM | Message # 7
Colonel general
Load ...
I dare say if we sit back and say we'll wait for the 125 year mark we would be very lucky if there still is a British Ulster and as for 150 mark, I can only hope that our community by that stage still have some homelands left in Ulster..

Message edited by RSAUB - Sunday, 2011-10-02, 9:31 PM

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2011-10-04, 12:48 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Load ...
Not far from me there is a WW1/UV Mural. I noticed recently them building a wall extending out from the Mural on one side. I have been told (don't know if its correct) that this wall is for a painting of Carson signing the Covenant. So it seems some are already planning ahead.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2011-10-04, 8:09 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Load ...
Had a walk out today and took a couple of photos of the ongoing work.

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2011-10-04, 8:31 PM | Message # 10
Colonel general
Load ...
Should look good with the mural on the wall beside it, as that is a fantastic mural one of the best in the Country.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2011-10-04, 9:02 PM | Message # 11
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yeah its a good un and I'm thinking it will be even better when the wall is completed and painted. They use to have the street light turned on it but don't know if that is still the case. It looked well even in the darkness with the light on it.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Ulster Day
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: