Monday, 2024-04-29, 4:10 PM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Union flag - What Loyalists Signed Up To
Union flag - What Loyalists Signed Up To
CulzieDate: Sunday, 2013-01-13, 4:30 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Or rather what their representives signed up to after the people voted for the Belfast Agreement.

'Its is understandable that some unionists see the restrictions on the flying of the Union Flag as diminishing the Britishness of Northern Ireland.But they do not. Any change in the Britishness of Northern Ireland occurred when voters backed the Belfast Agreement in 1998 - recognising the right to equal expression of both British and Irish identities here if we are to live together in peace.

It is this logic which nationalists drew upon in making the case for the removal of the Union Flag from City Hall,claiming that without an Irish equivalent alongside it,their national identity was not receiving equal recognition - that they did not have the ''parity of esteem'' promised by the Belfast Agreement'.

From NL Wednesday January 9 2013

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2013-01-13, 5:56 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Load ...
So Robinson seems to be confirming what was outlined in the first post. It is now a shared society and this may mean a diminishing of unionism and a promoting of nationalism. The population of Belfast is more or less evenly split between Protestants and Catholics,and as Robinson has pointed out we signed-up to a shared society and thats the way it has to be. If the Union flag is restored to flying all the year round then (by the terms of the Belfast Agreemen) it may be accompied by an Eire tricolour flying alongside it.... All a part of a shared society.

'Belfast city hall flag protest' BBC NI Sunday 10 January 2013

The Northern Ireland First Minister Peter Robinson has said the political process is the only way forward following another night of violence in Belfast.

Twenty-nine police officers were injured in rioting after a loyalist protest over the union flag.
Officers fired six baton rounds and used water cannon during the 40th day of street protests.

Mr Robinson said politicians had not given up on a "shared society".
"We took some difficult decisions, some might say historic decisions to build a shared society in Northern Ireland," he told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show on Sunday.
"I think it is important to tell the wider community in Northern Ireland and our friends in the rest of the United Kingdom that we are not giving up on that.

"We are very much of the view that we are determined that we build the kind of society where everybody can have a peaceful and stable existence."

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2013-01-13, 9:54 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
In the middle of all the protests etc Jim Allister had this to say in answer to Teresa Villers

NL Wednesday,January 9 2013

''But Mr Allister responded by accusing the British Goverment of establishing ''the template which has bred the belief that in N.I. violence sadly pays. He continued ''I say this not to excuse violence which I utterly abhor and condemn but to indicate the difficulty I as a politican have in countering the grassroots contention that violence can work. The tragic reality is that it is patently worked for the murderous IRA,causing the British goverment and others to pay the nortorious price of terrorists in government and relaese of prisoners though the iniquitous Belfast Agreement,contrary to how its proponents like to portray it,is living testimony to the triumph of terror.

He stated that violence on the streets was ''not only wrong in itself but that the cause of the Union Flag is far more noble and honourable than the grubby rebellion of the IRA and must not be sullies or betrayed by being brought down to their level''.

It seems to me Mr Allister wants it both ways. He talks of the 'triumph of terror' and going by that,that violence pays. Then he (like most politicans) changes tact and condemns violence on the street. Yeah they always have that as their 'get out clause'.

It would seem (as I have thought for a while) that using the gun is acceptable in a cause,but being on the streets for a cause is just loutish behaviour. That appears to be the way that the public in general look at it and not just politicans.

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2013-01-14, 5:26 AM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Interesting, i would agree with the perception of that analogy;nvolved in rioting your a thug, if you involved in inflicting a form of terror your a freedom fighter/revolutionary or what ever turn of phrase people want to use. I think our politicians basically want to ride the gravy train,earn enough money to set themselves up for the rest of their days and continue doing jobs that they obviously enjoy doing,however any notion of a phased society is absolute nonsense, what it is- is spin for the cultural destruction of our Ulster British identity and irishisation of British Ulster, last year not withstanding the countless attacks on war memorials and other memorials like that at pitt park,3 Scottish soldiers,kingsmills etc, we had republicans naming a play park after an Ira mass murderer, and SF/IRA Councillors on Craigavon council objected to a request from the British Legion to add a soldier who had been killed in Afghanistan to Portadown war memorial. Not to mention the attacks on our churches,orange halls and new battle fields regarding our parades by the republicans machine which is determined to destroy our culture, the people are waking up to an extent, with Robinson latest statement regard. a phased society it really shows how detached from the loyalist working class people he has became.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2013-01-14, 3:31 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Its a long litany of surrender and appeasement and the politicans (when these things happen)pass it off as 'no big deal'' Sinn Fein's McLaughlin is now to be the new Speaker at Stormont. Thse few lines are from the NL 12/1/2013

The position of principal deputy speaker - which is effectively 'Speaker in waiting' - was created after the last election after a private agreement between the DUP and Sinn Fein. That change was opposed by the UUP,SDLP,TUV, Green Party and independent unionist David McClarty but carried with the votes of the DUP and Sinn Fein MLAs.

So another cosy arrangement has been hatched.

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2013-01-15, 2:49 PM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
Yip, seems that way, and now the people are waking up to the DUP,we all know now that the Unionist vote will be split in pieces, and Sinn Fein will become the biggest party in Ulster. The greening of our land is well and truly in progress, and as for the DUP they deserve all they get.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2013-01-15, 4:03 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
As Eamon Phoenix said in his history column. Craig(James) knew the need for unionist unity and he achieved this by sidelining other minor unionist parties. This policy worked well until the rise of the DUP.

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2013-01-17, 2:08 PM | Message # 8
Colonel general
Load ...
Very true, I've been re-reading Enoch Powell-like a Roman;Enoch Powell viewed Ian Paisley and elements of the DUP as a Protestant version of Sinn Fein, he was right. They have done more damage to the Unionist cause than enough, all to get into power and ride the gravy train.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2013-01-17, 4:44 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Load ...
Enoch was indeed a man of vision. Though I don't know if his rivers of blood forecast will ever come about. Its the same old game of gradualism and the story of the frog. Thats how governments play it. But he was right about Paisley and even Cecil King one-tine owner of rhe Daily Mirror had dinner with Paisley and believed he was the man who could deliver the Protestants into a united ireland This was away back in the 80s. Maybe even the 70s.

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2013-01-18, 2:03 PM | Message # 10
Colonel general
Load ...
I suppose rivers of blood speech interms of violence may never happen but this part of the speech really hits home for me: "
We must be mad, literally mad, as a nation to be permitting the annual inflow of some 50,000 dependants, who are for the most part the material of the future growth of the immigrant descended population. It is like watching a nation busily engaged in heaping up its own

funeral pyre". For me that is exactly what we have done, we have destroyed our Nation.

Cecil King was indeed right about Paisley, a man much in love with his own ego and indeed money.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2013-01-18, 6:45 PM | Message # 11
Generalissimo
Load ...
Can't disagree with that at all. Powell was a man with vision and a man who held a principle and love of his country. I have a book about him which tells of how when the trouble started in Uganda it led to thousands of foreigners from there coming to Britain. As Enoch pointed out the responsibilty for these people was their own countries Pakistan and India. But the Westminster masters wouldn't listen to this valid point which he was making. So these people not having a British Passport the Westminster master
s opened up centres in Uganda where they could come along and get one. There was no obligation to do this...but they did it anyway.
So even though Enoch was right in every sense of the word these people took it on thmselves to ignore this and push ahead with their plans for a multi-racial UK. Again I believe that this was at the behest of America,though there were those in Britain too who were only too willing to comply.

Re Cecil King. I remember too that Merlyn Rees made a similar assessment of him. I watched that on TV when a programme dealing with the release of the 30 year old papers was on.

BaliarDate: Wednesday, 2024-03-27, 3:57 PM | Message # 12
Lieutenant
Group: Users
Load ...
Hey fellow forum members,
Let's dive into the topic of hiring back-end developers, a critical aspect of any tech project's success. I recently came across Glorium Technologies, a platform claiming to offer top-tier back-end developers with expertise in various technologies and methodologies. You can find more information about their services at Glorium Technologies.
I'm intrigued by what Glorium has to offer, but I'm also curious about your experiences with hiring back-end developers. Have any of you tried Glorium Technologies or similar platforms? How was your experience? Are there other platforms or methods you would recommend for finding skilled back-end developers?
Let's use this space to share insights, recommendations, and any cautionary tales about hiring back-end talent. Your input could be invaluable to others navigating the hiring process in the tech industry.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Union flag - What Loyalists Signed Up To
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: