Tuesday, 2024-04-16, 5:19 PM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » British army on recruiting drive in NI
British army on recruiting drive in NI
S-KDate: Friday, 2009-06-26, 8:46 AM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Checked
Load ...
British army on recruiting drive in NI

THE BRITISH army is embarking on a recruitment drive in Northern Ireland which could see up to 100 people from the Republic enlisting, according to the senior recruiting officer in the North.

Lieut Col Dick Rafferty of the Royal Irish Regiment said that the numbers joining the British army from the South are increasing steadily and that, in the next intake of 500 soldiers, up to 20 per cent could be from the Republic.

The British army cannot advertise for recruits in the Republic but ads in the Northern media allied to “word of mouth” inevitably would see a large number of applicants from the Republic, he said in Belfast yesterday.

Lieut Col Rafferty, who has Donegal connections, said recruits from the island of Ireland tended to be superior to those enlisting in Britain. Some 26-40 per cent of British recruits did not make the grade under training, compared to just 15-18 per cent of Irish recruits.

He said more people from a Catholic/nationalist background were joining up.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspap....10.html

Germanic & European preservationists forum:

http://www.germanic-worlds.com

timmyDate: Friday, 2009-06-26, 2:11 PM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Users
Load ...
good read, although they have a cheek to join the british army after doggin them so many times.

The british army had a parade through belfast not long ago to, most catholics was out to protest against it.

S-KDate: Friday, 2009-06-26, 3:06 PM | Message # 3
Private
Load ...
Perhaps the Catholics should start realizing that they live in the UK, not in Ireland.

Dont like it in the UK?

Then get out to Ireland.

Germanic & European preservationists forum:

http://www.germanic-worlds.com

CulzieDate: Friday, 2009-06-26, 7:27 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
You've hit the nail on the head there S-K. I see it the same.

I think with the British/English administering the island as one unit,has had a lot with how some people see things. Its a bit ironic that those who cry most about this island being one unit,would probably favour the opposite on the British mainland i.e the secession of Scotland. So unity is OK with them in one island,but probably not the other. Personally I think at the lowest level it all boils down to a name....that name being Ireland. When it come down to it, thats what their whole argument is based on. There is no doubt in my mind that there are two different peoples on this island. There should have been two different names,for the two jurisdictions.

Sorry, I've went off topic a bit.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

SlappataigDate: Sunday, 2009-06-28, 8:52 PM | Message # 5
Colonel
Load ...
Quote (Culzie)
I think at the lowest level it all boils down to a name....that name being Ireland. When it come down to it, thats what their whole argument is based on. There is no doubt in my mind that there are two different peoples on this island. There should have been two different names,for the two jurisdictions.

Sorry, I've went off topic a bit.

nah its ok for your excatly right!

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2009-06-30, 7:09 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Cheers Slappa. And it seems like it ain't gonna change.,with the media talking in 'northern irish' terms. Of course it were those at Westminster who dreamt up that name....N.I. angry

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » British army on recruiting drive in NI
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: