• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Shoot The Boers
Shoot The Boers
CulzieDate: Monday, 2011-02-14, 2:37 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Its interesting how he sees a link between the the ira and the anc. Between the singing of irish republican songs and this song.

U2's Bono in new racism row over 'hate song'
Monday, 14 February 2011

U2 frontman Bono found himself at the centre of another racism row last night
as the band kicked off its South African tour.

For the second time in a week, the band was in the limelight for all the
wrong reasons after the lead singer appeared to show support for a controversial
anti-apartheid song, which includes the words "shoot the Boer" (or "shoot the
farmer").
The song prompted sustained debate after the murder of Eugene Terreblanche, a
white separatist leader who was hacked to death on his farm, allegedly by two
black employees.
Julius Malema, the head of the youth wing of South Africa's ruling African
National Congress, was reprimanded last year for singing the song, which was an
anti-apartheid anthem in the 1980s.
The song has been labelled "hate speech" by some members of South Africa's
white community and the country's highest court is currently considering whether
it violates the rights of Afrikaners.
But Bono compared its lyrics to Irish rebel songs about the IRA.
"I was a kid and I'd sing songs I remember my uncles singing. . . rebel songs
about the early days of the Irish Republican Army," he said.
"We sang this and it's fair to say it's folk music. . . as this was the
struggle of some people that sang it over some time."
But he cautioned that such music shouldn't be taken out of context.
"Would you want to sing that in a certain community? It's pretty dumb. It's
about where and when you sing those songs," he said.
The comments, made to a South African newspaper, caused a storm of
controversy about whether Bono was coming out in support for the firebrand
leader of the ANC's youth league, Julius Malema.
Mr Malema has been taken to court by an Afrikaner lobby group after singing
the song at political rallies.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news....33.html

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2011-02-14, 11:54 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
White farmers facing genocide in South Africa, being murdered, tortured, their women and children raped and bodies mutilated and you come out and say it’s fine to sing songs about shooting the boer?… Scum of the earth, a humanitarian and peace campaigner or a complete scumbag fenian bastard?

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2011-02-15, 8:21 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
And he made the lame excuse about irish republican songs saying the same. Though he may have a point in that respect. Its respectable to sing about the 'glorious' ira shooting loyal Ullish people so its ok to sing the same about the shooting of Boers. That is his logic. He learned that when he was a kid at his mother's knee and the hatred is still there with him only in this case its transferred to the Boers.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2011-02-16, 10:17 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Load ...
Aye exactly that is his logic and a basic concept held by a lot of the Irish. I seen a picture of him giving the comrades salute in South Africa two days ago, the salute of tyranny. So much for his liberal politics and international aid appeals, while being a tax exile himself, the man is a total hypocrite and his recent actions have him placed well and truly in the gutter.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2011-02-18, 2:52 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Say if it was turned around and a song sung entitled 'shoot the irish' imagine the outcry there would be from the usual suspects. It would probably be raised at the UN and the irish would go into overdrive about repression,supression and oppression. You mention hypocripsy and yes its unbelievable what they get away with in that respect. But they are very adept at playing that game. They have manouvered themselves into a position where nobody dare criticise them even when the criticism is valid people are afraid to say so. After all they are a perfect people,or so they project themselves as being. So they are above criticism. rolleyes

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2011-02-19, 3:26 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Load ...
U2 SINGER UNDER FIRE OVER 'PRO-IRA SONGS'

News Letter February 16,2011 by Emily O'Dowd Lewis

East Belfast DUP MLA Robin Newton spoke out yesterday against U2 frontman Bono,following a controversial performance in South Africa.

Bono claimed that the song Kill The Boer,(white farmer) which he sang at the concert,had its place in the same way as music supporting the IRA. Mr Newton said: ''Having again been caught up in another piece of controversy by singing a ballad urging violence against white farmers he has revealed he and his family sang pro-IRA songs. In an interview with a South African newspaper, Bono said: ''When I was a kid I'd sing songs I remember my uncles singing...rebel songs about the early days of the Irish Republican Army.'' He also described these songs as ''folk music''.

Mr Newton said: ''Following the Good Friday Agreement,Bono stood between David Trimble and John Hume,arms raised aloft on the face of it as a peace promoter. How can he justify this peacemaker image with singing songs glorifying terrorism 'in the right context?'''

Boer is an Afrikans word for white farmer,but is sometimes used as a derogatory term for white people. Popular Afrikaans singer Chris Chameleon joined the backlash surrounding Bono's decision to sing Kill The Boers by posting comments on his Facebook page. He said : ''If hate speech is part of your culture your culture needs to change.

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2011-02-20, 12:47 PM | Message # 7
Colonel general
Load ...
Gary, Cambridge
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM “If hate speech is part of your culture, your culture needs to change." I heard Bono live on BBC Radio 1 comment on the '800 years of oppression by the British' I heard some Cork historian tell a BBC audience that they were happy before the English caused the famine. One day the Irish will perhaps take a step back and realise that fascism is not acceptable. But then, we here the IRA propaganda every day on tv and films. I don't think this victim culture will ever progress, they are training up another generation.

[/b]A comment on the newsletter website, very true. [b]

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-02-20, 2:47 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Load ...
Gary has got right to the point. Except for a few the Irish will never take responability for anything at all. Everything is the fault of someone else. The reference to fascism in relation to the Irish is something I had never associated with them. It was a fella in work who first said this to me years ago and to be honest I thought he was talking rubbish. It was only with the passage of time and seeing how they operated that you got the picture. I have read articles by three/four different Irish people who could see how they operated. Yes there are some of them about, the exception that proves the rule.

Here are a few excerpts from Adolph's book. In it he mentions the use of a slogan and how valuable it is but also adds it must be repeated over and over again....''one man one vote'' maybe and even 'British rights for British people' which was used by the 'civil rights' crowd for a while. ''nibble at our own people'' could apply to those within the loyalist community who are swayed into believing the anti-unionist propaganda. Repeat them over and over again and never vary from that stance could well apply to Irish republicanism

To whom should propaganda be addressed? To the scientifically trained intelligentsia or to the less educated masses?
It must be addressed always and exclusively to the masses.

All propaganda must be popular and its intellectual level must be adjusted to the most limited intelligence among those it is addressed to. Consequently, the greater the mass it is intended to reach, the lower its purely intellectual level will have to be.
In consequence of these facts, all effective propaganda must be limited to a very few points and must harp on these in slogans until the last member of the public understands what you want him to understand by your slogan. As soon as you sacrifice this slogan and try to be many-sided, the effect will piddle away, for the crowd can neither digest nor retain the material offered. In this way the result is weakened and in the end entirely cancelled out.

the very first axiom of all propagandist activity: to wit, the basically subjective and one-sided attitude it must take toward every question it deals with.

it would have been correct to load every bit of the blame on the shoulders of the enemy, even if this had not really corresponded to the true facts
How effective this type of propaganda was is most strikingly shown by the fact that after four years of war it not only enabled the enemy to stick to its guns, but even began to nibble at our own people.

But the most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly and with unfiagging attention. It must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over. Here, as so often in this world, persistence is the first and most important requirement for success.

it pilloried the German enemy as the sole guilty party for the outbreak of the War: the rabid, impudent bias and persistence with which this lie was expressed took into account the emotional, always extreme, attitude of the great masses and for this reason was believed.
How effective this type of propaganda was is most strikingly shown by the fact that after four years of war it not only enabled the enemy to stick to its guns, but even began to nibble at our own people.

For instance, a slogan must be presented from different angles, but the end of all remarks must always and immutably be the slogan itself. Only in this way can the propaganda have a unified and complete effect.
This broadness of outline from which we must never depart, in combination with steady, consistent emphasis, allows our final success to mature. And then, to our amazement, we shall see what tremendous results such perseverance leads to-to results that are almost beyond our understanding.
All advertising, whether in the field of business or politics, achieves success through the continuity and sustained uniformity of its application.

SlappataigDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 3:53 PM | Message # 9
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
good lord I hate that eejit.

Message edited by Slappataig - Saturday, 2011-03-05, 3:54 PM

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-03-06, 11:50 AM | Message # 10
Generalissimo
Load ...
Maybe so,but the Irish seem to have used the things he preaches and its paid off for them. ''One man One vote'' was repeated over and over again. Most people in the UK and thoughout the world mistakenly thought that people were being denied the right to vote which wasn't the case at all. So that slogan being repeated time after time had the desired effect.

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2011-03-07, 0:03 AM | Message # 11
Colonel general
Load ...
In a political fight half the battle is propaganda regardless of facts or fiction.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2011-03-07, 8:35 PM | Message # 12
Generalissimo
Load ...
Here! Here!

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Shoot The Boers
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: