Thursday, 2024-04-18, 11:49 PM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » WOMAN THREATENED WITH LEGAL ACTION FOR FLYING FLAG
WOMAN THREATENED WITH LEGAL ACTION FOR FLYING FLAG
RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2011-07-17, 2:35 AM | Message # 1
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
http://www.lisburntoday.co.uk/news....2843316

Published on Friday 8 July 2011 12:00

DUP MLA Jonathan Craig has hit out at Oaklee Housing Association after he was contacted by a Lisburn constituent who has been told to remove the Union Flag from her home or warned she will face legal action.

Mr Craig believes Oaklee’s policy on the flying of flags is “completely and utterly absurd”.

“I have spoken to them and this seems to fly in the face of the freedom to express oneself and goes against everything that our forefathers fought for in World War One, Two and many recent and ongoing conflicts around the world,” he said.

Mr Craig described the policy as “oppressive”, and added: “When I contacted Oaklee they informed me this was their policy in line with the aims and objectives of creating a ‘Shared Future’. This policy appears to suppress one’s right to express their culture. It is oppressive and does nothing for creating better community relations.

“There is nothing offensive about the flag of our nation and I do not understand what the problem is. Furthermore this resident has alleged that she has been threatened with being listed as being an ‘anti-social tenant’, she has also told me that she has been informed that she can keep the flag up but could be subject to a legal challenge.”

Mr Craig said he is calling on the Housing Association to show “some common sense”.

However another resident in the development says the Housing Association were very clear about the policy from the outset.

She said: “People are entitled to their culture and beliefs but not to blatantly disregard the wishes and feelings of their neighbours.

“When we all signed up to the shared vision for the development we were all in agreement that we would live together as one community. We all agreed with Oaklee’s policy of no emblems.

“I’ve no problems if people want to put flags up in their houses but not to cause anger and outrage. In a mixed area respect for diversity is needed.“

A spokesperson for Oaklee Housing Association explained the aims of the development are to promote community development and foster good neighbour relations.

“The principles of the shared neighbourhood programme include recognition by tenants that everyone in the area is equal regardless of religious, political or cultural belief”, they said.

“Before allocating accommodation each tenant was asked to sign up to a neighbourhood charter which encourages them to respect and to be sensitive to their neighbours and engender a community spirit. All our tenants signed the charter at the commencement of their tenancy,” they commented.

“This is a diverse cross community scheme which has successfully adopted these principles since 2009 and we wish to build on the success of the shared neighbourhood programme. Oaklee supports involvement by its residents in the management of their community and we will endeavour to continue to promote the shared neighbourhood programme for the benefit of all our tenants,” the spokesperson concluded

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-07-17, 4:54 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Its a bloody disgrace. A caller to the Nolan Show was giving off about the flags on lamposts,saying if people wanted to fly them they should fly them from their house. But your are not even allowed to do that with these Oaklee people.

These PC people have been getting their own way for too long now. They are the mind and body police. What is a person to do if they need a home? Its a form of blackmail of the worst kind.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2011-07-17, 6:08 PM | Message # 3
Colonel general
Load ...
Yip and practically all private rental homes and even some privately owned homes in newly build developments have it written in, in on the contract that your not allowed to flag a flag or any kind of symbol from your home. So much for freedom of expression. Good luck to this woman, only way to beat these bloody rules and the political elite is for we the ordinary people to start making a stand.

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-07-17, 9:02 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
Its hard to get around these things unless as you say we take a stand. Even on the mainland they bring in these laws which make it an offence for whatever they decide upon. People are then reluctant to step outside the law and for some they can use it as a way of not doing anything...''oh its against the law''

What we need is a radical change of goverment. But even then would ie the BNP stick to what they say? Must admit I have become a bit of a skeptic especially because of what I have seen here. Paisley and his dupers doing about turns. Can you trust any of them now. Its alright sitting on the sidelines shouting the odds but when they get the reins of power will they still be the same,or will they realise its a different 'ball game' when you have to work with other goverments and interests.

The people have had the chance to vote for the BNP and UKIP etc but they don't do so in large enough numbers to get them into goverment. When I hear some people going on about the number of immigrants I take it as just 'words on the wind' cause they could do something about it by voting for the above mentioned parties...but they don't. So ther'e only wafflers.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2011-07-18, 2:36 AM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Load ...
Unfortunately, by the time a British nationalist party makes it to power (if they ever do) their policys will be that watered down, there won't be that much difference between them and the rest of the political elite, although they can't do any worse than those in command of the ship at present.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2011-07-18, 10:01 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Load ...
I'm firmly convinced that America is behind all of this and have been from at least after WW2. America poured money into many countries but only on their terms. The Dutch were told to get out of South Molucca and if they didn't they would get no aid. Other countries were the same. Britain only paid back its debt about 5/10 years ago.

The South Moluccans were similar to ourselves. Protestants and very loyal to the Dutch Royal family. But their loyalty counted for naught as the Dutch pulled out and left them to the advancing communists. OK some of them stayed to fight the commies but they were up against it and on their own. Other went to the Netherlands and were tread none to well.

The only thing which might happen is the rise of China and the demise of America and that might throw the cat among the pigeons. It would be a whole different situation then. Though China may be bought over too.

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2011-07-21, 10:48 PM | Message # 7
Colonel general
Load ...
I would say the Americans are thinking and planning about the rise of the far east for many decades. China and India both rising super-powers. The only way America can compete is with Europe by it's side.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2011-07-22, 5:58 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Load ...
Got a point there. To be honest it never even occured to me. I wondered why Ameriaca would encourage a U.S.E.. Would it not be a rival? I only thought because of the two WWs coming from there, but you've thrown a new light on it for me.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » WOMAN THREATENED WITH LEGAL ACTION FOR FLYING FLAG
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: