• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Ervine relative speaks up for Irish
Ervine relative speaks up for Irish
CulzieDate: Thursday, 2011-09-01, 10:19 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Another step along the green brick road. Guess its only to be expected as none of the Ervines seem to have any interest in Ulster/Ulster Scots culture or Orange/Protestant culture. So they have no culture at all and of course they are then rudderless and open to anything that is going or is the 'in thing'.

Its a long way from the 'Irish Out' on the loyalist murals.

Ervine relative speaks up for Irish

Thursday, 1 September 2011

A relative of the former loyalist leader David Ervine has revealed she has started to learn the Irish language.

Linda Ervine, whose husband Brian recently stepped down as leader of the UVF-aligned Progressive Unionist Party, began her studies through a cross-community project.

But while Irish has traditionally been associated with the Catholic community, the 49-year-old said she was struck by research that showed how her Protestant ancestors also spoke the tongue.

The East Belfast teacher said more Protestants were becoming aware of their community's historic links to the language and wanted to see it freed of its political baggage.

Her brother-in-law David Ervine, who died four years ago, was a former UVF prisoner who later came to international prominence through his support for the peace process and his efforts to develop a political voice for loyalism.

But Mrs Ervine said her family history was an encouragement rather than a hindrance to taking up Irish. She said: "People may not be aware that David learned Irish while he was in prison.

"The first Irish I heard was from Brian, who knew it from place names, which always interested me. I suppose people might find it unusual, given my background, but there you go."

She said much of the Protestant community's link to Irish, including the role of Presbyterians in preserving and protecting the language centuries ago, had been forgotten.

"I think it's very sad people don't know that. That has been lost," she said.

"I feel that because the language has been politicised, sadly, it has been seen to belong to one community, which is nonsense. The language belongs to all the people of Northern Ireland."

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2011-09-03, 8:58 AM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
The very fact that she has gave an interview to a newspaper clearly shows she has been manipulated (if she even needed to be?) to encourage more Protestants to except their so-called irishness. People like her will lead us into a United Ireland. As for Davy Ervine learning Irish in Prison that doesn’t surprise me about that man.

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-09-04, 9:50 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
30 pieces of silver and fifth columnists come to mind when one hears and reads of these people. They are preparing the way so to speak.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2011-09-05, 0:30 AM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Load ...
Very,very true.

It's as clear as day for anybody who wants to see.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2011-09-05, 12:43 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
I think there is a school of thought which believes that if you follow the green brick road and accept irish ways,culture and tradition then the irish will come to accept that they are British, ie British-Irish. Personally I can't see this. If this is the thinking behind Ervine, Gallagher, Tait and others (and I'm only guessing) then it is a dangerous game they are playing. They will be gone some day but the children will have been brought up with the irish traditions handed down to them from them. Sucked into the Irish bog.

Ulster Protestants alone have been the only people to have withstood the enticement of the irish advances. However,one of the main things which help withstand the irish enticement was our religion. Nowdays when religion is fading more and more out of our daily lives that bulwark will be no longer there,and as people have not another bulwark to fall back on namely their identity as Ulster people they are easy prey for irish chauvenism.

So with irish cultural aggressiveness and Lundy's within only too willing to kow-tow to this aggressiveness things don't look to good for the land of our birth..Ulster

RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2011-09-10, 0:36 AM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
The way things are going are youth are well and truly being sucked into the big green irish bog, goodness knows what things will be like in ten years time if these current trends continue.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Ervine relative speaks up for Irish
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: