Friday, 2024-04-26, 2:28 AM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Plight of Village residents is being ignored
Plight of Village residents is being ignored
CulzieDate: Saturday, 2012-12-01, 7:17 PM | Message # 16
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
538 houses down to 114 houses. Must going to be a lot of empty spaces about.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2013-04-18, 4:31 PM | Message # 17
Generalissimo
Load ...
NL April 17 2013

NAMA SET TO FUND HOUSING DEVELOPMENT NEAR BELFAST

NAMA is an Eire government organization.  Eire is in a terrible finiancial position,having to get loans from the EU and the British government and yet they have the money to build houses in N.I. But Sammy Wilson says it is OK ..so it must be alright: rolleyes:

Wonder who will occupy these houses? Watch out Dundonald .

NAMA is to turn property developer it announced yesterday confirming plans to invest £9 million to build a 95-unit housing development at Millmount,Dundonald.

The scheme on the outskirts of Belfast will be funded by the National Asset Management Agency (NAMA) - set up in the Irish Republic to deal with collapsed property loans - though an agreement between the court-appointed administrator and a N.I.-headquartered construction company.

An estimated 100 jobs will be generated during the construction phase of the project which is expected to last for 18 months.

The first phase will consist of 95 mainly three-bedroomed and four-bedroomed houses,but the site has outline planning for 510 residential properties,which may be delivered in subsequent phases subject to market conditions and the success of the initial phase.

''This is a real statement of intent about our N.I. loan portfolio,'' said NAMA chairman Frank Daly. ''We are committed to supporting projects that can deliver a commercial return and I hope that there will be more projects like this in N.I..''

welcoming the news Finance Minister Sammy Wilson said the scheme demonstrated the ''positive role the Agency can play in N.I.''.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2013-11-10, 10:38 PM | Message # 18
Generalissimo
Load ...
An exchange of views on the re-development of the Village area of the Donegall Road between William Dickson and Nelson Mc Causland
November 2013

I am pleased that we have reached this stage in redevelopment but would point out that at the public inquiry in 2009, Mr Robin Hawe, Area planner with the Housing Executive said that the redevelopment zone would involve the demolition of 538 dwellings with the replacement of 250 new dwellings..When the planned three phases are complete, there will be a only 114 new houses in the redevelopment area..

8 November at 08:46

Nelson McCausland Billy, let's take this a step at a time - phase 2 is due fairly soon and then as work proceeds on phase 3 and the houses are filled I am sure the HE will want to look at addressing housing need. Experience elsewhere says that as new houses are built t...See More

8 November at 18:26 · Edited

William Dickson Do I have your permission to quote your words at the Design Team meeting on Monday as they give more hope than the wording in your letter?

Yesterday at 11:29

Nelson McCausland I don't have the letter in front of me but the level of housing need in the area is extremely important. All I am saying is that when good houses are built in an area it tends to increase the number of people who put their names down for that area as their area of choice. I make that statement on the basis of my experience in my own constituency. People are unlikely to put their names down if they think they are going to be offered poor housing or a poor environment and the reverse is true, good houses and a good environment tend to increase the waiting list. The HE has a process for calculating how many houses to build in an area and that starts with the number of people on the waiting list and in housing stress. If there is a need then the HE will want to look at addressing that need by building more houses. Moreover as the social housing is built and other improvements take place it will also encourage the building of affordable housing and a mixture of social and affordable is the best outcome. If 538 houses were demolished then a total put back of all types of houses would be around 250 - I assume that is all there is land for, since put back is usually around 50%. Keep the ultimate vision but approach it in an incremental way, celebrate every success and monitor the waiting list by asking for regular updates. You can certainly explain that to the CDT meeting.

Yesterday at 12:38 · Edited · 1

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2013-11-11, 7:12 AM | Message # 19
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
McCausland you should be ashamed of yourself, basically they have destroyed the loyalist community in the Village in terms of numbers I wonder if they'll still be able to defend themselves from attacks from the Falls and as for Unionist votes I l would go as far and say we now have no chance of having a Unionist MP again for South Belfast.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2013-11-11, 3:39 PM | Message # 20
Generalissimo
Load ...
Nail on the head. They have sat on their asses and let this happen,though have to add that there was no real pressure put on them [that I know of] by the residents. Billy Dickson and a few others seem to be the only ones making a kick-up about it. Our crowd are reactive let the things happen and then they start complaining when the deed is already done. Maybe I'm alone [or near alone] in metaphorically thinking that the barriers should go up at the end of the street and not at your front door.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2013-11-18, 11:27 PM | Message # 21
Generalissimo
Load ...
WD and BA talk about William's video and about the situation in the Village and what is its future.

WD ..I wonder how many recognise themselves as children in the film. Most of the them have grown up in the area and are still living in the wider Donegall Road area.

BA..Tell you the truth William I was a wee bit sad watching it. It brought back memories of how things were and not just in the south Belfast area. Ah well times change and we have to live with that. As the man said 'the past is a different country and they do things differently there'. That's good news about the ones still living in the area.

WD..Once phase 3 is complete we will ask for a breakdown of all those who have been allocated new homes; how many children and so on. To date there has been 46 allocations and offers have been made for new homes coming on stream. Of these, 30 have been made to local residents from the redevelopment area. Work will start on 27 houses and apartments next year and even if all these went to former residents, it would only bring the total up to 57. A more realistic total would be about 45 former residents. Over 500 houses were demolished -most of them good houses- to provide new homes for between 45 and 57 residents and the rest from outside the redevelopment area.

WD..All our political representatives have been invited to the Village & Monarch Community Design Team meeting today to discuss ongoing problems. I am very sad and yes angry that so many of my friends and neighbours were forced out of their homes and have moved out of the area, but with others we are determined to continue to do our best for those who are left and for new residents coming in to the area.

WD..I believe people in nationalist areas have always been more determined to stay and fight to remain in their areas. Loyalists have always acted the same way by moving out too quickly and even been prepared to move out of Belfast.. This was said about the Shankill and other loyalist areas. Then the second thing is that nationalist public representatives and community groups have been better organized and informed. A few nationalist areas have suffered from redevelopment but it is true to say that major redevelopment was responsible for the thousands of protestants leaving Belfast. That's why we no longer control Belfast City Council.

BA..Think you've summed it up William. The loyalist people get all steamed about things which could maybe have been avoided if they had taken steps to stop these things happening. Stable door,horse and bolting come to mind. I guess we'll never change. Dublin was at one time 70 per cent Protestant, of course that was in the late 1700s, but even in the 1800s, they were still parading to King Billy's statue there. Belfast ?

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2013-11-22, 9:18 AM | Message # 22
Colonel general
Load ...
The numbers quoted above are heart breaking, basically this area will be transformed forever and could very soon cease to be a loyalist area. This development practically eradicates any chance of a Unionist MP in South Belfast ever again and further eradicates what ever is left of the working class loyalist community in the centre of town.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2014-01-03, 8:25 PM | Message # 23
Generalissimo
Load ...
They built 'yuppie' apartments in Sandy Row opposite the Orange Hall and further down, in the street opposite the community centre. That didn't happen in any of the inner city nationalist area ie Markets, Short Strand, Grosvenor Rd, York St  etc etc

More houses planned in the old Autolite/Visteon factory site. Some nearby residents are against it. We'll see what happens.
Fold Housing proposes to build 244 homes, a community centre and business units at the site in the Finaghy area.Just under 200 of the homes will be for social housing, while the other 48 will be be classed as private 'affordable' housing aimed at first-time buyers.The Visteon factory closed in controversial circumstances in 2009 with the loss of more than 200 jobs.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news....u] 

Then we have the spin put on the 'achievement' in the Village. 538 houses demolished 114 to be rebuilt. ''the start of a bright future'' ''It is an exciting time'' ''welcoming back many of the residents who use to live here''. Certainly knows how to spread the spin about. No mention of the fact that just 114 houses are to be built when they had been promised 250 houses. No mention that only 47% of the 114 will be going to residents of the area and the rest will be going to newcomers.

South Side Advertiser Issue 70 - January 2014

BEGINNING OF A NEW CHAPTER FOR THE VILLAGE

Housing Minister Nelson McCausland has opened the first £3.5 million phase of a major housing regeneration project in the Village area of south BelfastThe Minister was on site to officially open 37 new houses completed by the Fold Housing Association. The new houses are the first of 114 new homes being built by Fold to replace those demolished as part of a major regeneration plan for the area. A second phase of 50 homes is due to be completed by December 2013, with a third phase of 27 homes due to start in early 2014.

Visiting the new housing scheme, Minister McCausland said: ''The completion of the first phase of this major housing investment in this historic area of south Belfast is the start of a brighter future for the people of the Village. It is an exciting time for the local community, welcoming back many of the residents who used to live here. '' I am proud that the Executive though my Department could contribute £2.5 million towards the construction of the £3.5 million first phase.''Replacing poor quality housing with bright modern homes is an important first step in supporting and sustaining this community. A total of 114 new quality homes will be built in the Village across three phases removing dereliction and reversing years of decline in the area''

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2014-01-07, 6:30 PM | Message # 24
Colonel general
Load ...
The very mention of the yuppy flats in Sandy row make my blood boil as we all know the sort of people who moved into them as was perfectly determinstrated by some of the new residents flying an Irish Tricolour out the window of one of the properties ten years ago now. As the banners use to say 'Beware of Peaceful Penetration', those days are gone, it's no longer a peaceful penetration it's a full on invasion our territory is wide open to being took over by demographic change.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2014-01-08, 9:37 PM | Message # 25
Generalissimo
Load ...
The powers that be did say that they were aiming for mixed housing developments, but it seems this will apply to Protestant areas only. But not only that...here's the rub. The people that lived in the area being developed will not be getting the majority of these new houses being built. No! these will go to newcomers. Its shocking and a disgrace but nobody seems to be able to do anything about it, or unwilling to do anything about it. We are urged to vote. I ask in all honesty ''how can you vote for those who have stood by and let this happen''.

The news to day was of Ballykinler closing. Ritchie of the SDLP was in right away about housing being built there. As said earlier it was the same when Mountpottinger Police Station closed. They had a big celebration party and sinn fein said the vacant site should be used for social housing....and it was. They are up now and well they look. Our side....silence.

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2014-01-08, 10:48 PM | Message # 26
Colonel general
Load ...
It's an absolute disgrace, yet it seems our politicians are content to let this happen even through it's a move that basically means that a Unionist will never win the South Belfast Westminster seat again.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2014-01-08, 11:27 PM | Message # 27
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yeah it is hard to understand. You'd nearly think, that they were thinking, 'the game is up' and getting as much as they can out of it before heading for the hills.. It certainly doesn't seem to me as if they are fighting tooth and nail for their people.

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2014-01-08, 11:51 PM | Message # 28
Colonel general
Load ...
Yes they're in appeasement mode, may be they live in denial  believing their own propaganda. Let's hope the people of the Village make sure that the houses will be occupied by our own people despite who ever the housing executive despite to stick in the houses.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2014-01-10, 9:23 PM | Message # 29
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yip they'll have to stir themselves and keep at them to the point where they get sick listening to them. I had a walk up that way yesterday and it presented a very desolate picture of flattened streets and the wind howling across this emptiness. I could see some houses at the other side of the emptiness and they all appear to be semi-detached. They were promised 250 houses lets hope they hold out for this number and that they go to the people from there.

A far as I know Nelson McCausland is the man with the final say? Lets see what happens.

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2014-01-10, 9:38 PM | Message # 30
Colonel general
Load ...
I've been down a few times myself and it's depressing seeing such vast amount of open ground and the new houses built aren't really needed.  Big houses who will probably be allocated to foreigners on the waiting list because they have big families and these type of houses built are for big families. Realistically how many village residents with 2 or 3 occupants in their previous houses are going to be offered a house the size of those being built?

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Plight of Village residents is being ignored
Search: