Friday, 2024-03-29, 8:21 AM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Belfast Council and Irish Street Signs
Belfast Council and Irish Street Signs
CulzieDate: Monday, 2014-03-24, 3:53 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
''To promote the use of Irish language in public life '' So they should be grateful to Linda Ervine and others for helping them to do this.

Court challenge to Belfast City Council over Irish signs
News Letter 24 March 2014

Belfast City Council is facing a High Court challenge over its policy on Irish language street signs, it has emerged.

A resident in the west of the city has been granted leave to seek a judicial review over being denied dual-language name plates on her road.

Lawyers for Eileen Reid claim a method of surveying householders is irrational and unlawful. Ms Reid was one of those canvassed about having supplementary Irish street signs erected on Ballymurphy Drive.

Under council criteria two-thirds of those questioned need to declare themselves in favour before the new plates can go up.

It is understood that out of 92 eligible residents 52 confirmed they wanted Irish signs, with only one opposed. However, the remaining 39 did not respond to the survey.

According to Ms Reid’s legal team these non-returned votes were wrongly counted as being opposed to dual signage.

They contend that the two-thirds policy does not comply with a requirement in local government legislation for the views of residents to be taken into consideration.
Belfast City Council is also in breach of its obligation to promote Irish under the European Charter for Regional and Minority Languages, it is claimed.

In court on Monday a preliminary hearing to determine whether an arguable case has been established was not contested.

David Scoffield QC, for the Council, said: “Without prejudice to a vigorous defence of the case at full hearing we don’t propose to object to the granting of leave.”
With Ms Reid clearing the first stage in her challenge, Mr Justice Treacy listed her challenge for June.

Outside court her solicitor, Michael Flanigan, said: “My client is seeking to have this policy struck down because it doesn’t comply with the law.

“What is required is a policy that is consistent with the law and the Council’s obligations under the Charter, which is to promote the use of Irish language in public life''

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2014-03-29, 2:18 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Just shows despite this obviously being organised by IRA activists that a substantial number of people in even the most republican parts of Belfast don't want dual language Irish signs but unfortunately the rebels will keep fighting away until they get their way on this particular issue regardless of the feelings of their own community.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2014-03-31, 4:41 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Those who might oppose republicans within RC ranks may be a majority or minority. All we can go by is the election results as a guide. The thing is too, they are opposed to all things British so bringing cases to court all the time fouls up the system a bit. I wonder if it would be the same if they lived in Dublin, and I'm thinking of enquires etc.

Last week a case was in court where a man ran another man down deliberately. They were both cousins and both catholics as far as I picked up on the news. The family of the deceased said they wanted to now move on and forget about it. I wondered if it had been a Prod or a soldier, policeman driving the car would the family have taken the same view.?

I noticed an irish street name sign up at the corner of May Street. You can't get much closer to the city centre than that. About another 500 or so metres and it would be at the City Hall.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Belfast Council and Irish Street Signs
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: