• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » UKIP...We Were Wrong
UKIP...We Were Wrong
CulzieDate: Friday, 2012-04-06, 3:23 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
On 3 February 2012 Nigel Farage MEP, leader of the United Kingdom Independence Party, was the guest speaker at a Making Politics Matter event in Christ Chruch University in Canterbury.

In the course of the meeting he expressed some surprising views on Scottish independence and the Irish nationalist demand for home rule.

Asked if UK independence should include Scottish independence, the once staunchly unionist politician said that though he used to be of the opinion that all of the United Kingdom should be ruled from London, now he realised just how ridiculous he was in believing this.

'I've now come to the view that if we listened to old man Gladstone in 1886, and we had given the Irish Home Rule, we wouldn't have had the IRA, we wouldn't have had thousands of deaths and all of the misery.'

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2012-04-06, 6:06 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
I think that this is him playing political games. I would imagine that he believes that there is no real electoral support to be gathered in fighting the case of the Union, there is no benefit for his fringe party that receives practically all of it's support in England to back something which is viewed now as a toxic brand (real Unionism)i.e. abolishing devolution and bringing back direct rule from London.

I would say we'll see the UKIP probably soon play on the English Nationalist card, looking for an English Parliament etc to tap into further electoral support.

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2012-04-07, 9:20 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yeah maybe a wee bit like Galloway changing tact and playing to the gallery. Ther'e all the same these politicans. In it for themselves. They try to judge if there is a feeling among the people about an issue and then talk the talk which they think will appeal to these people. Paisley was a classic example of this,but he ain't the only one.

Their principle is not to have a principle

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2012-04-08, 8:04 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Load ...
That's it, principles don't come into it anymore, it's all about propaganda and public relations, they will jump on any bandwagon, those with principles like Jim Allister are side-lined.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-04-16, 2:57 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Right RSAUB. Thats why I find it hard to put trust in any of them. I was considering voting for UKIP at the last election but as it turned out they hadn't a candidate standing in my area. Then reading how they stood against the ira parade in Liverpool I thought Great!. Now this man Faberge tell us we were wrong to fight against home rule. rolleyes

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2012-04-16, 3:52 PM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
Very true, the Liverpool branch is full of loyalists, a lot of fellas out of the Orange in Liverpool joined it and basically took it over, but that's just once branch.When you have the leadership who are more interested in winning over the English Nationalists voters your really up against it, in todays modern World I can't see the ordinary working-class men getting any-where near the positions of power in the main parties.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-04-16, 4:20 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
If they(working man) seemed to come near getting to the top of a political party you'd see the opportunists joining and pushing them to the side. I'm meaning by this, a party that started to do well and one in which all the ground work had been done by the faithful who would then be shoved to the side,or even got rid of altogether.

Its also hard to get true believers who stay the course they set out on. And then there are those who will put party first even if they know it has deviated from its original core beliefs.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » UKIP...We Were Wrong
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: