Friday, 2024-03-29, 5:32 AM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Carrots are Orange in tribute to William of Orange
Carrots are Orange in tribute to William of Orange
RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2014-04-12, 10:14 AM | Message # 1
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
For centuries, almost all carrots were yellow, white or purple. But in the 17th century, most of those crunchy vegetables turned orange. Why? It may have to do with Dutch politics. Next Nature explains:In the 17th century, Dutch growers cultivated orange carrots as a tribute to William of Orange – who led the the struggle for Dutch independence – and the color stuck. A thousand years of yellow, white and purple carrot history was wiped out in a generation. Although some scholars doubt if orange carrots even existed prior to the 16th century, they now form the basis of most commercial cultivators around the world. Presumably crosses between Eastern (purple), Western (white, red) and perhaps wild carrots led to the formation of the orange rooted carrot sub species.... Whatever the origins, the Long Orange Dutch carrot, first described in writing in 1721, is the forebear of the orange Horn carrot varieties so abundant nowadays. The Horn Carrot derives from the Netherlands town of Hoorn in the neighborhood of which it was presumably bred. All our modern, western carrots ultimately descend from these varieties.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2014-04-17, 9:02 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Good info there. Never knew about that. Going round Tesco's I said to the missus about the carrots there and was starting to tell her the the reason for them being orange. She's into the organic stuff and jumps in with two feet (as usual) '' that's them again putting stuff into the food with all their sprays and preservatives etc etc etc lol. When I managed to get a word in I said ''whoa this was in the 1600s''.....silence, and the ''oh I see'' lol

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2014-04-18, 4:26 PM | Message # 3
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Jumping in with two feet, that's women for you lol

CulzieDate: Friday, 2014-04-18, 9:03 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
LOL Aye indeed. smile

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Carrots are Orange in tribute to William of Orange
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: