Thursday, 2024-03-28, 3:34 PM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Haass, Irish an offical language in NI ?
Haass, Irish an offical language in NI ?
CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2014-06-24, 8:26 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Well I'm sure the Irish speakers on the Falls and though out Ulster will be 'cock-a-hoop' about this. And I'm sure so will the Newtownards Rd, Sandy Row and the Shankill. 

By Liam Clarke – 24 June 2014

Richard Haass has risked the anger of unionists after he said the Irish language should be considered for official use in Northern Ireland.Referring to the aspiration of many people for Irish unity, he said: "Irish identity could and should be respected in many ways within existing constitutional arrangements, possibly including a larger, official role for the Irish language."While Irish already has some legal protections, such a move would likely mean more use of Irish on roads signs, State documents and court proceedings – something unionists consistently and vocally oppose.

Dr Haass also said the Troubles museum was not included in his blueprint because it had "proved too controversial – but I am persuaded it is essential".He added: "The goal would not be to force or even seek agreement on a common narrative on what occurred, but rather to put under one roof competing narratives of what happened and why.

There would, I hope, be agreement on many of the facts if not the legitimacy of what was done."The Tipperary Peace Convention said although Dr Haass' plan had not been accepted, it "could yet form the basis for a deal".The former diplomat agreed."It was the result of compromise. But while there may be other ways to approach these challenges, there is likely to be a limit to what can change and still command broad public support," he said.[b][u][color=#0000ff]http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news.......b]

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Haass, Irish an offical language in NI ?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: