Tuesday, 2024-05-07, 11:29 PM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Death Knell For Unionists?
Death Knell For Unionists?
CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-04-16, 3:05 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Not often I agree with Alex Kane but I think hes got this right. A united ireland means that such a thing as political unionism would no longer exist. And a thing which I have often thought ...that we would have no chance to change things around again as thay have had. Unionism would be dead,finished, kapute.

This is just a part of his article. Its from the N.L.

A united Ireland represents the death knell for unionism. Republicans can remain republicans in Northern Ireland, for they have always something to aim for and reunification would represent an ultimate victory for them.
And even in the absence of reunification their political/constitutional agenda is encouraged and accommodated within the structures of the ongoing Good Friday/St Andrews agreements.

But once you have a united Ireland then there is nothing left for unionists – for they will not be given the option of periodic referendums to undo the decision and return to the United Kingdom. Their political/constitutional agenda will not be protected, let alone encouraged in a united Ireland. Their social/cultural/historical values will be wiped away in a united Ireland. There will be no place for unionism in a united Ireland because there can be no place for unionism in a united Ireland.

And in yet another part of the still partitioned Ireland, Sinn Fein’s national chairman Declan Kearney – who wants us all to say sorry to each other – was telling another graveside audience of the “need to keep moving the peace process into new phases and onto new ground because national reconciliation is integral to our strategic project”.
Let me decode the language and explain the strategy. Sinn Fein will say sorry, but only if unionists say sorry. Sorry, in Sinn Fein’s self-penned dictionary, is a word which, when heard from a unionist, allows them to justify and rationalise the IRA’s terror campaign: “The very fact that you are now apologising means that we were right to fight your oppression. It was your fault all along.”

“National reconciliation” has nothing to do with the people or parties across Ireland. In Sinn Fein’s dictionary the phrase means geographical and constitutional unity. No more and no less.

It means the destruction of Northern Ireland as a separate identity and the destruction of unionism as a political/philosophical belief. No more and no less. Sinn Fein does not respect unionism.

It cannot promise to respect and value the unionist tradition within a united Ireland, because, as I say, unionism cannot and will not be allowed to survive within a united Ireland.

Adams, McGuinness and Kearney are all saying exactly the same thing: albeit that the nuance may be tweaked depending on audience and location.
What’s not entirely clear, though, is whom they are really trying to fool with this orchestrated guff.

Their own core vote – who must be wondering how the link-up with the DUP advances unity?
The republican dissidents – increasing numbers of whom seem to believe that Sinn Fein has been outmanoeuvred?

A section of unionism – which may possibly be willing to believe that a united Ireland really would solve all of Ireland’s difficulties?

Or an untapped vote south of the border which might be willing to support Sinn Fein if it looks and sounds sincere and apologetic?

Only a few key people in Sinn Fein know the real purpose of this latest strategy. But I’m pretty certain about one thing: the language may have become softer, but it’s just as loaded and deadly as the bombs and bullets it now replaces.
Their war against the union, unionists, Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom is still ongoing.

This is one columnist and one unionist who won’t be saying “sorry” to Sinn Fein and who will never reconcile himself to the fundamental dishonesty, immorality and hypocrisy that continues to underpin their view of Northern Ireland and those of us who remain the constitutional majority. Enough is enough.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/communi....3737118

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Death Knell For Unionists?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: