• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Dutch Protestant Resistance Group WW2
Dutch Protestant Resistance Group WW2
CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2014-11-04, 8:18 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
From Wikipedia Trouw was started during World War II by members of the Dutch Protestant resistance. Hundreds of people involved in the production and distribution of the newspaper were arrested and killed during the war. The newspaper was published irregularly during the war due to lack of paper. In August 1944 the Nazi occupying forces tried to stop publication by rounding up and imprisoning some 130 of the couriers. They issued an ultimatum to the leaders of Trouw; however, the editors did not give in and all of the captured couriers were executed.
Amongst the people that lost their life during the war due to their involvement with the newspaper was Trouw co-founder and resistance member Wim Speelman.[3]

After the war the paper became a daily, its allegiance Reformed Christian. By 1967, though, the paper's chief editor made it clear that Trouw was not to be considered a paper only for Christians: it wanted to be a paper for everyone. In the course of time the percentage of Trouw readers that belong to the Reformed churches shrank considerably: in 1965 69% of readers belonged to one of those churches, but by 1979 this had dropped to 48%, and by 1999 to 28%. Circulation at the end of the 20th century was a little over 133,000.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....u]

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2014-12-23, 7:45 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Quite an interesting piece of information, although just another example of the decline of Protestantism throughout Europe, then we've never been very good at supporting our own.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2014-12-26, 9:22 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
I would say ' aye aye' to that. I have experienced that attitude over the years.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Monday, 2015-01-05, 7:01 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
I remember an aul fella who drove the lorry where I worked telling us that he walked past an RC newsagent and a half-mile further up the road to get his papers. There was a good bit of that feeling about in those days...but not now. Having said that, it worked both ways the RC's too generally supported their own. And THEY probably still do.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Dutch Protestant Resistance Group WW2
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: