Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Ulster Museum biased
Ulster Museum biased
CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2015-04-29, 5:41 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
News Letter, Wednesday 29 April 2015

The publicly owned Ulster Museum has a “distinct bias” towards literature reflecting the nationalist and republican traditions, the Assembly has heard.

The comments were made by the DUP’s Brenda Hale who said she had been left disappointed after a visit to the south Belfast museum over Easter.
Mrs Hale said books telling the story of the Ulster-Scots and Orange history were “practically non existent”.

She said: “As a very keen supporter of culture, arts and the Ulster Museum, I was very disappointed on Easter Monday when I visited with my daughter to find a distinct bias in the books and literature for sale in the shop of all things of a nationalist and republican nature. Items of British, Ulster Scots or Orange or even the war time were practically non existent, thus providing a biased or one-sided view.”

During questions to culture minister Caral Ni Chuilin, Mrs Hale called for a more “balanced view” that would also include the arrival of the Vikings, Normans and Plantation settlers.

Speaking to the News Letter afterwards, Mrs Hale said: “By the till at the museum you had open shelves, and everthing on that shelving was to do with the Easter Rising, to do with Irish legends, the IRA, Michael Collins.

“There was nothing on display by the till that reflected Ulster, even as a nine-county province – there was nothing on the Covenant, on our guys who went to war or the Plantation...nothing.”

She added: “For a visitor coming in to the museum, that is the display that is most prominent.

“I eventually found a book on the Ulster Covenant and some on the First World War soldiers. but they were in a bookcase to the right of the till and tucked away. In commecial premises, the things you want to sell you give prominence to.”

Responding during the Assembly exchange, Caral Ni Chuilin said her department had allocated around £3.5 million to “enhance and enrich” literature in museums and other cultural facilities across Northern Ireland.

The minister said she would raise the concerns with the Ulster Museum but also queried how some groups had spent the funding.

“I am disappointed that the member wasn’t happy with her visit or indeed with the exhibitions or the literature sold.

“I am happy to write to the museum to that effect.”

Mrs Hale went on to say she was “really disappointed” that the minister had “used this opportunity to attack the Ulster-Scots culture,” and added: “I spoke to the Ulster-Scots Network, and they have been in contact with the Ulster Historical Foundation who say that DCAL and National Museums NI have not been in conact with them in any shape or form by way of consultation or asking what they should sell.

She continued: “The Ulster-Scots have used the money well – history books, poems and songs – and they haven’t been approached by Museums NI to see if they want to promote their stuff. We know what they are doing with their money. The literature, the courses, the books are there – they just can’t get access to put them into museums.”

A spokesperson for National Museums Northern Ireland said: “The Ulster Museum’s shop is an extension of the museum reflecting key themes, displays, events and exhibitions which are all inclusive.

“Our shop stock is reflective of the collections and visitor demand following detailed analysis of retail trends and in-store purchases.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news....6715476

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Monday, 2015-05-18, 6:13 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Another example of Ulster Scots big sell....I don't think. Grrrr

When are they going to get up off their arse and go out and promote their culture. They seem to want museums,councils etc to come to them...

“The Ulster-Scots have used the money well – history books, poems and songs –
 and they haven't been approached by Museums NI to see if they want to promote their stuff. We know what they are doing with their money. The literature, the courses, the books are there – they just can’t get access to put them into museums.”

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Ulster Museum biased
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: