• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » I Do Not Feel Irish In The Slightest
I Do Not Feel Irish In The Slightest
CulzieDate: Thursday, 2016-09-15, 5:00 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
What this meant in practical political terms is that Northern Ireland really was as British as Finchley, to quote Margaret Thatcher.

We still had our own legal system and civil service, through which we were “directly ruled”, but who notices such technicalities? What was apparent was that government happened at Westminster, while “Northern Ireland politics” took place on the streets or in council chambers downgraded to a joke.So if you were a respectable person, as the “head-down” mentality of the Troubles encouraged most of us to be, you looked to the mainland for anything more important than collecting the bins.

You also said “mainland” without a hint of self-consciousness because that is quite clearly where everything was decided.

From the creation of Northern Ireland in 1921, devolution was intended to make everyone feel less British and ultimately to ease us out of the United Kingdom altogether.At first, unionists did not want “home rule” of any description, but they quickly grew fond of the feeling of having a little country of their own.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion....2788939

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » I Do Not Feel Irish In The Slightest
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: