Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » DUP doublethink
DUP doublethink
CulzieDate: Saturday, 2012-08-04, 6:21 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Maze project highlights DUP doublethink

Wednesday, 1 August 2012

I FIND it extraordinary that our elected representatives remain mute regarding an £18m spend on a number of precast concrete buildings on the former Maze prison site with questionable listing protection.
The H-Block buildings should have been delisted by previous environment ministers, when the department rejected the original request by Sinn Fein to retain them back in 2005.

However, this decision was reversed at a later review. I am at a loss to understand why this was not fully investigated to clarify why the original decision was overturned.
It is also ironic to find that Peter Robinson has worked in co-operation with a self-confessed IRA commander in jointly submitting the application that secured the EU funding for this project.

Obviously, contrary to the public stance of individuals within the DUP, they are now inextricably linked to assisting and supporting the Sinn Fein deal for the Maze.

I find this surprising, as I was of the opinion the DUP was fervently opposed to retaining the H-Blocks - especially when Nigel Dodds pointed out that the conflict resolution centre was "a shrine to IRA terrorists, no matter what way it's dressed up".
To involve and encourage past, or current, members of the security forces in this venture smacks of trying to sanitise an obnoxious project. How is delivering on this republican project moving Northern Ireland forward?

RUTH HOEY
Hillsborough, Co Down

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2012-08-04, 9:24 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
We then have the local UDA's main man in the area, chairing a meeting between Republican and loyalist prisoners at a hotel in Templepatrick. What's that old saying: money talks!

CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-08-06, 3:47 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Yes,thats it and more so among 'loyalists' than republicans I'm thinking.

Friday's BT had an article about the various political parties and their income and their speanding..

UUP...INCOME £353,583 EXPENDITURE...£345,274
DUP...INCOME £615,052 EXPENDITURE...£444,125
SINN FEIN...INCOME £1,266,079 EXPENDITURE...£1,163,106

It then went on to say..

Sinn Fein coffers are partly swelled because its elected representatives'salaries are paid directly to the party,which then gives them an 'industrial wage'of £22,000

Now I'm wondering do the unionists parties have a similar arrangement? Somehow I doubt it. Its mine,mine,mine seems to be the attitude of unionists in general. I'm reminded of the difference between Trimble and Hume when they won the Nobel Peace Prize. Hume donated his to charity. Trimble held on to is.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » DUP doublethink
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: