Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » DUP Councillor's Home Attacked
DUP Councillor's Home Attacked
CulzieDate: Thursday, 2008-09-25, 10:27 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
DUP councillor's home attacked

Published Date: 25 September 2008
THE home of a DUP councillor in south Armagh has been badly damaged in an arson attack.
Glenn Oliver - who sits on Newry and Mourne Council - was not in the house when it was targeted.

Windows were broken and flammable liquid was poured into the Newtownhamilton property. Graffiti was also daubed on a wall.

The damage is believed to have been substantial and a sectarian motive is a line of enquiry being pursued by PSNI in Newry.

This week, Mr Oliver's party colleague John Finlay has vowed he will not be forced out of his Cloughmills home after being subjected to an eighth attack.

The DUP mayor of Ballymoney believes he may have been targeted because of Ulster flags flying at the property.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2008-09-25, 11:20 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Cloughmills was once a loyalist stronghold, but this is what's happens when they get a foothold. Loyalist North Antrim-Not So Loyalist!

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2008-09-28, 12:31 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Cloughmills was once a loyalist stronghold, but this is what's happens when they get a foothold. Loyalist North Antrim-Not So Loyalist!

Not familar with it there RSAUB,but it seems to be the old story that has been ongoing in other areas.

Remember reading years ago where a journalist wrote, it is a re-drawing of the sectarian boundary lines. This has happened over the decades when trouble erupted. When the dust settled,usually the Protestants had moved back or out altogether.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

Gadsden1775Date: Monday, 2009-06-22, 12:05 PM | Message # 4
Private
Group: Users
Load ...
Cloughmills is still very Loyalist, to the extent that it is one of few places where flags can fly year round. Mr Finlay is one of very few council members prepared to that nationalists to task at their own game, namely whinging. If it worked for them over the years, why shouldn't we have a go? wink

Don't Tread On Me

CulzieDate: Monday, 2009-06-22, 12:23 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yeah its about time we started playing the same game. Though I would say it probably goes against the grain,as we usually think in terms of standing on your own two feet. But it has been proved that in this 'nanny' world that the biggest whingers get listened to. And they have medals for it.

I don't think we can ever reach their compentence in the 'crying game',but its worth a try.

RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2010-07-17, 0:15 AM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
In relation to Cloughmills its nearly 40% papist, so hardly a stronghold. Strong band in the Crown Defenders and the Accordian band is still doing ok. And as for Finlay he does try, has done a lot for the Prods being attacked in Rasharkin but the media just don't listen most of the time.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2010-07-30, 3:12 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
I like your point about the 40%. There is a tendancy among the Protestant community to concede a place is nationalist/republican even if thats not the case. I take too,areas where the Protestants would be in a minority...but only just. I have heard in the past ''oh such and such is a fenian hole'' while that is not the case. Its self fulfilling in a way when they talk like that. I think this has a knock-on affect where people who wern't even thinking that way become concerned and perhaps move out.

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2010-07-30, 11:14 PM | Message # 8
Colonel general
Load ...
Yes, once a area swings slightly the other way, the prods take fear and believe their being over-run so tend to move out and eventually a once loyalist area swings the other way. I think a lot of it has to do with community spirit/activity, taigs have a higher profile out running about playing their Gaelic games, sometimes gives the illusion that theres more a them about than there actually is and in a lot a mixed areas the residents associations usually have a higher proportion a papist members on the committee than prods. I even know of one loyalist estate in Coleraine Harpurshill thats about 30% R.C. and yet they control the local residents committee. Our culture activities like building bonfires, bands etc, prods wont do them in a mixed environment, many won't even wear a rangers top or fly a flag incase it offends one of their papist neighbours or leaves them open to attack, as usually taigs that move into mixed areas are usually republican scum who are part of the spill over from the vast-waiting lists in rebel areas of Belfast and Londonderry and basically every mixed area of the Province was at one time Protestant territory.

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2010-08-01, 5:39 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Load ...
I have seen some changes in areas here since the trouble started. The Grosvenor Road was the first. Although it was predominately Protestant at one time the left hand side stretching right up to the Royal Hospital was Protestant and the right hand side was about half Protestant up to near Leeson St,which the other end of started on the Falls Rd.

I knew some fellas who lived on the Prod side and they use to say to me how they were on good terms with the Catholics,they drank in their bars on the Grosvenor Rd etc. The troubles had not taken off in full,it was the time of the 'civil rights' or thereabouts. I didn't see them for a while and the next time I ran into one of them he was saying they were now living in Sandy Row. Another wee inoffensive easy going man who I worked with took the same line..that he was on good terms with them, and he was the last Prod living there and they'd leave him alone,but in the end he too had to get out. He too moved to Sandy Row. I did feel like saying .'I told you so',but it wouldn't be the right thing to say after what they'd been through. But the thought does come to the mind...'when will they ever learn'

And of course the O.O. had to stop their parade up the Grosvenor Rd.

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2010-08-01, 8:45 PM | Message # 10
Colonel general
Load ...
It's a familiar story throughout the Province but unfortunately a lot a prods tend to just bury their heads in the sand. In my work there's a scumbag who's came out with a few 'im irish' and 'pro-ira' comments in the past yet most of the prods in my work continue to talk to the piece of filth. And many of these boys are former are current bandsmen.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » DUP Councillor's Home Attacked
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: