Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: Culture ::.. » Orange Order » Attacks On Orange Halls Every 5 Days
Attacks On Orange Halls Every 5 Days
CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2010-04-13, 10:17 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Attack on Orange hall every five days
FIGURES released by the PSNI show there were over 70 attacks on Orange halls in Northern Ireland in the last 12 months.

Rasharkin suffered 10 separate attacks with two other halls being targeted on four occasions.

The Orange Order said the statistics which show there had been an attack on a hall every five days, were part of a sustained campaign against its members and the Protestant culture.

Ulster Unionist peer Lord Laird had requested the information and says he is "disgusted" by the scale of the problem he describes as "fascist attacks carried out by ignorant people"."

Lord Laird has appealed for those responsible to rethink their actions and said: "If people would just stop attacking the halls and take the time to find out more about the Orange Order, then I don't think we would have these problems.

"We seem to be living in a society where people can't live and let live which is very sad indeed."

Halls have been attacked right across the Province, but Dunloy in County Antrim and Clifton Street in Belfast have suffered more than most with four attacks each.

The Unionist peer believes the number of incidents is rising and sees no cause for optimism.

"If you look at the figures then the situation is definitely getting worse. When you consider there were 73 separate attacks right across Northern Ireland, then you realise this is a serious problem that needs stamped out.

"Whilst I call on anyone with influence to help end what is nothing short of fascism, I would also call on people not to be drawn into retaliation," he added.

Drew Nelson, Grand Secretary of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland said he "wasn't surprised" by the figures.

"In the last two weeks alone, I am aware of two more serious incidents at Orange Halls in Co Londonderry and Co Fermanagh," said Mr Nelson.

"This has a been a sustained campaign of vandalism right across the Province, with very obvious sectarian overtones, and the police must record all these attacks at the hate crimes, which they are. Any information must be passed to police directly," the Grand Secretary added.

Commenting on the attacks, a police spokesperson said: "The PSNI condemns attacks and criminal damage on all property irrespective of where it occurs or which community is the victim.

"We are aware of the concerns expressed by the Orange Order and others and want to assure them that we view these attacks seriously. Each incident is robustly investigated and all available evidence is obtained with a view to making any identified perpetrators accountable through the criminal justice system."

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news....6657.jp

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

SlappataigDate: Saturday, 2010-04-24, 6:05 PM | Message # 2
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
sickening

ViollaKaDate: Tuesday, 2023-10-17, 7:26 PM | Message # 3
Sergeant
Group: Users
Load ...
The essay service I've used consistently impresses me with their quality and professionalism. They've been a reliable companion in my academic journey.

Forum » ..:: Culture ::.. » Orange Order » Attacks On Orange Halls Every 5 Days
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: