Forum » ..:: Culture ::.. » Orange Order » The O.O.in New Zealand
The O.O.in New Zealand
CulzieDate: Sunday, 2012-09-09, 10:22 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
An interesting link.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/irish/10

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2012-09-10, 8:32 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Good link, I wonder how many lodges are still active in New Zealand, there should still be a few.

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2012-09-15, 3:44 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
I know that there are still some brethren from New Zealand who come to Ulster for the 12th and the Grand Master of New Zealand has been one of them. They are still represented at the tri-annual meeting of the different jurisdictions thoughout the world.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2012-09-15, 3:54 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Load ...
There's still a few Lodges around Christ Church that are active, there is the protential for growth down in New Zealand as a lot of British and especially a lot of Ulster men and Scots are over there for work repairing after the disasters there a few years ago, and apparently there's enough re-building work to last for another decade.

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2012-09-15, 4:28 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Thats good news about Christchurch. I think that photo of them going into church ( in 1950s maybe) was in Christchurch. Sometimes I think the OO abroad is expanding more than those in Ulster are. One of the mates from the Shankill was telling me that an ABOD Club has opened in Limerick. All gist to the mill.

Think I mentioned before, the North Island was once offically known as New Ulster.

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2012-09-16, 11:34 AM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
Yeah, things seem to be going well in England, sometimes when you have to work at something that's when results happen, when you have it all like we have here things begin to stagnate.

The Belfast Twelfth for example is the best parade by a country mile for pure quality of bands. As you have the bands from Belfast and the likes of Mourne Young Defenders from Kilkeel and Omagh Protestant Boys from Omagh, along with Pride of the Maine from Ballymena and the best bands from Scotland, it's the only parade you get to see such good bands in any one place, even Derry day hasn't got this quality of bands on show. This leads to a problem where many bandsmen,Orangemen and loyalists in general would rather stand on the side of the road and watch the parade, rather than take part.

When you have to travel long distances to meetings etc, you value the chance to be amongst your own kind, where-as over here, we have our meetings which are a no-win situation, if they are short and sweet, some won't bother going as they see no point in attending and if they go on to long people get fed up, it's all about finding a happy medium.

Forum » ..:: Culture ::.. » Orange Order » The O.O.in New Zealand
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: