• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: History ::.. » History of the ulster scots » The Hound Of Ulster
The Hound Of Ulster
CulzieDate: Sunday, 2009-05-10, 12:30 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
I fail to understand why Eire has a statue in Dublin of Setanta. Once again it seems the old irish trick of claiming anything even if it is not rightfully theirs to claim. The nearest I came to finding an explaination of this particular claim to the Hound Of Ulster is that Patrick Pearse thought Setanta a great person because his name is still remembered centuries later. Pearse wanted the same for himself. Better to live for a day and be remembered, than live to a hundred and not be remembered. That is what he wished to do himself,and we are left with the results of his thinking even to this day. If anything it was to satisfy Pearse's ego,and generations later we are still paying the price of Pearse's inflated ego.

From the 'HOUND OF ULSTER'

1 Slieve Cuillen and Slieve Faud stand like warrior brothers to hold the Gap of the North,that was the chief way from Ireland into Ulster.

2 Iam Fedelma - 'As to what I do' - I weave the four provincies of Ireland together for the attack on Ulster

3 This is from Fergus MacRoy; to give me warning the hosts of Ireland will be in the Gap of the North within two days.

4 it was for him[Cuchulainn] to hold the pass against the whole war hosts of Ireland

5 The foreguard of the Irish hosts had not moved a bowshot from their last nights camp before their champion went down with Cuchulainn's spear through his heart.

6Maeve's army had all Ireland behind to feed them but Cuchulainn and Laeg had to hunt for themselves.

7 Laeg tended his wounds and looked out towards the hosts of Ireland that by now had all but reached the ford.

8 With Follaman the King's son for their captain they marched out to meet the war hosts of Ireland, for the honour of Ulster and he aiding of the Hound.

9 A great hoarse shout broke from Cuchulainn's strained and tortured heart and it came like a cry for aid to the men of Ulster.

10 Up! Up! Cuchulainn! The hosts of Ireland will be upon us now that their last champion is dead.

12 The Men of Ulster are being slain and the women carried away. The cattle are being driven off, Cuchulainn alone holds the Gap of the North against the four provinces of Ireland.

13 Do you understand that the war hosts of all Ireland are at the gates of Ulster and none but the Hound of Ulster to stand in the gate.

14 For I tell you my Queen[Maeve] that in all Ireland,in all the world, there are none who can lightly face the Men of Ulster in their wrath.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

SlappataigDate: Sunday, 2009-05-17, 1:20 PM | Message # 2
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
dont know much about this part of our history
but what is this lines from a book, and is setanta the hound of ulster? was the island just "ireland" to these clan/kindom chiefs?

CulzieDate: Monday, 2009-05-25, 7:54 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Sorry for not gettin back to you sooner Slappa,but was away on a wee bit of a break.

Yeah, the quotes are from a book 'The Hound of Ulster'by a Rosemary Sutcliff and it refers to Setanta.

Setanta was given the name/nickname 'Cuchulainn' after he had killed the hound belonging to a man called Culainn. Also,its the reason he is referred to as 'The Hound of Ulster'

Geograpically the island may have been referred to as 'ireland',but whether these men had a concept of a nation called 'ireland' is doubtful. The island was made up of different tribes or small kingdoms who were at war with one another most times.

Ulster had its own king,and its own capital(Emain Macha) where its royal family were situated. Its now called Navan Fort(near Armagh). Its a Visitor Centre nowdays and is open to the public.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

Forum » ..:: History ::.. » History of the ulster scots » The Hound Of Ulster
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: