Friday, 2024-04-19, 3:35 AM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: History ::.. » History of the ulster scots » A few newbie questions re: Ulster
A few newbie questions re: Ulster
OrthodoxUlsterDate: Monday, 2009-09-07, 7:46 AM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Checked
Load ...
Hey y'all,

Firstly, I'm not sure if this is in the correct section. I apologize if it isn't.
Secondly, thanks for giving me the opportunity to ask a few ill informed questions.

OK. I guess I need a history lesson as I'm not exactly sure why many Ulstermen (and ladies) are so loyal to England (though this does explain the Orange loyalty as well). Personally, I'm not that enamored with England. Could any of you point me to where I could learn more? I've read James Leyburns' "Scotch-Irish" and really enjoyed it.

Thanks,
Christian

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner"

CulzieDate: Monday, 2009-09-07, 2:28 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Hello Christian,

There are quite a few books out concerning the Ulster-Scots. My three top ones are 'God's Frontiersmen' 'Ulster Sails West' and one written by a fellow countryman of yours James Webb's 'Born Fighting'

Billy Kennedy has written a whole series of books on the Ulster-Scots in the different parts of America. Mostly in the Southern States I may add.

Sadly 'God's Frontiersmen' is out of print,but you still might be able to pick one up somewhere. There was also a documentry made with the same name and produced at the same time as the book. It is on the Streaming Video section here. The video covers the movement from Scotland to Ulster to America, wheras the book also takes in the Ulster-Scots in Canada,Australia and New Zealand. The video is about 3-1/2 hrs long,so best watched in stages I would say.

Yeah the relationship with England is a complex one. Maybe best summed up by a similar hypothetical situation in the USA.....if there was a demand by Mexico for the return of Texas, a murder and bombing campaign was started by Mexicans within Texas to back up this claim by Mexico,then I believe those Texans who may not have much time for the Federal goverment would rather throw their lot in with Washington,than face goverment by Mexico.

I agree though it was England's treatment of the Presbyterians that forced many of them to sail to the New World. Though have to say there were other reasons too.

Ps I have given a site (blog) on here, where another book dealing with the Ulster-Scots can be read. The book is 'To Ulster's Credit'

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

JonathanDate: Monday, 2009-09-07, 10:11 PM | Message # 3
Lieutenant
Group: Administrators
Load ...
here is the video that culzie was referring to, its a good watch, but as he said its rather long.

http://sonsie.info/load/2-1-0-1

BillstickerDate: Wednesday, 2012-04-18, 7:43 PM | Message # 4
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
Could any of you point me to where I could learn more?

Check out my blog below To Ulsters Credit by author Sam Allen
http://kuborange.wordpress.com

BaliarDate: Saturday, 2024-01-13, 12:08 PM | Message # 5
Lieutenant
Group: Users
Load ...
Unleash the potential of Durable Medical Equipment (DME) management with top-notch software solutions!

BaliarDate: Saturday, 2024-01-13, 12:08 PM | Message # 6
Lieutenant
Load ...
Unleash the potential of Durable Medical Equipment (DME) management with top-notch software solutions! Dive into the advanced features of DME software at https://nikohealth.com/. NikoHealth brings you cutting-edge technology to streamline operations, enhance patient care, and optimize workflows. Elevate your healthcare experience with state-of-the-art DME softwar

JoeyHorneDate: Saturday, 2024-02-24, 2:55 PM | Message # 7
Private
Load ...
Explore Ulster's complex history to understand loyalty dynamics. Delve into books like Leyburn's "Scotch-Irish" for insights. Different perspectives enrich understanding. Recently posted my 99papers.com review and I'm impressed! Timely delivery, quality content, and reasonable prices. A reliable writing service that exceeded my expectations. Highly recommend!

johnsnowDate: Thursday, 2024-03-21, 7:12 AM | Message # 8
Private
Load ...
Looking for a skilled Traffic lawyer Warren va? Our legal team specializes in handling traffic-related cases, including speeding tickets, DUI charges, and reckless driving offenses. With extensive experience and a commitment to client advocacy, we strive to achieve the best possible results for our clients. Whether you're facing fines, license suspension, or other penalties, we're here to provide expert guidance and representation. To arrange for an appointment and go over your legal alternatives, get in touch with us right now.

Forum » ..:: History ::.. » History of the ulster scots » A few newbie questions re: Ulster
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: