Friday, 2024-03-29, 1:03 PM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: Sports ::.. » Other sports » When all Ireland rugby happened.
When all Ireland rugby happened.
CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2012-08-07, 10:26 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Growing up as a boy and later, it seemed to me that Ulster was the place where the matches were always between Ulster (NI) teams. There was no all Ireland league or competitions. This changed, but I wasn't too sure when this change came about. According to this it appears it was 1990. And that would be about the time tenative moves were being made towards the eventual 'blending in process'.

League of Ireland

Until the advent of the European Cup and then the Celtic League, clubs in the reference level home in Ireland. Clubs competing for the championship of their province, the rest of the season is composed of friendly matches. In early 1990, a unified Ireland championship was created: the All Ireland League with fourteen teams.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_%C3%A0_XV_en_Irlande

Sorry that came up in French. It was originally French and I hit the translate button for English but its went back to French with the link

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2012-08-08, 0:24 AM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Interesting indeed, as has been said before, these things don't just happen by accident. The blending in process is well under way and it's there is very little or no desire within our community to put an end to it but then their is none so blind as those who just don't want to see/accept what's really going on around them!

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2012-08-08, 9:24 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yeah true. I'm just reading a book now. I had it years ago lent it and never got it back. But the missus and son-in-law were able to get one for me (its hard to get). You might have heard of it 'Orangeism Thoughout Ireland and the Empire' VOL2.

It tell in one part how Dan O'Connell put on an Orange sash and a green one. He also wore a medal with King William on it and preached about how we were all one. All Irishmen. The Orangemen wouldn't bite. He tried other things to suck them in but still they wouldn't bite. Frustrated he reverted to form and played hell about the OO at Westminster and up and down the country both on this island and the mainland. It ended up with the OO being forced by the goverment to close down. But of course the OO came back again.

Seems we were not as easy to fall for their oul blarney as the present day Prods are.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2013-05-07, 8:37 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
Think this might throw light on that period when there was an Ulster League

Ulster Senior League (rugby union)

The Ulster Senior League is a rugby union competition for senior clubs in the Irish province of Ulster. It has traditionally being ranked second in importance to the Ulster Senior Cup. It has declined in importance due to the formation of the All-Ireland League and growth in importance of the Heineken Cup.

The Senior League has had a chequered history. Its value was marred in the amateur era by periods when the elite clubs like North, Instonians and Collegians withdrew from the league to allow them to fulfil more friendly fixtures - particularly against English and Welsh opposition. This attitude from some of the senior clubs even lead to the scrapping of the league in 1930, and it was not re-established until after World War II. The practice of withdrawing from the league finally died out in the 1970s.

Mostly the league was played in one section on an all-play-all home and away basis. However with the expansion of the number of Senior Clubs in 1980, two sections were formed and the top two teams qualified for semi-finals. This allowed for a showpiece final at the end of the season.

The two section arrangement continued until 1990 when the advent of professionalism and preparation for the All-Ireland League, saw the league separated into two sections based on playing ability. Promotion and relegation between the two sections was introduced at this time.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Senior_League_(rugby_union)]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Senior_League_(rugby_union)[/url]

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2013-05-07, 9:25 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Another piece

History

The league (all Ireland) was inaugurated in the 1990–91 season. It was not sponsored in the initial season, but was sponsored for six years by Insurance Corporation of Ireland and since the beginning of 1998 by Allied Irish Banks. AIB ended their sponsorship of the league at the end of the 2009–2010 season.[3] A replacement sponsor has been announced. It is Ulster Bank

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2013-05-10, 5:34 PM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
Good work Culzie, some interesting information there.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2013-05-10, 7:31 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
I had memories of that period RSAUB but as the years passed and talking to some people they thought I had got it wrong. I started to think that myself.:D  However  I still could remember teams from Ulster only playing each other and not teams from Eire. The above backs that up.

RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2013-05-11, 9:24 PM | Message # 8
Colonel general
Load ...
All part of the greening of Ulster, long drawn out process, it's the same with the football and the Setanta Cup, a bit of price money to be won, but in reality it's just a long drawn out process to bring about an All Ireland League, even recently seen the National Anthem being dropped from the Irish Cup Final, but then the word Irish say's it all!

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2013-05-14, 7:47 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yeah its a pity they hadn't more foresight and took a different line. Our people are hopeless at original thinking and are more apt to just go along with things especially if it has been set in place by the Westminster masters.

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2013-05-14, 9:44 PM | Message # 10
Colonel general
Load ...
Very true, just like lambs to the slaughter.

Forum » ..:: Sports ::.. » Other sports » When all Ireland rugby happened.
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: