I feel more British
CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-09-10, 10:36 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Belfast Telegraph

I feel more British than Irish, says Rory McIlroy

Monday, 10 September 2012

Rory McIlroy has given his strongest indication yet that he will compete for Team GB when golf becomes an Olympic sport in the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.
McIlroy cemented his place as the world’s number one golfer with a stunning victory in the BMW Championship yesterday, his second US Tour victory in seven days.

The Co Down golfer spoke of the major dilemma facing him as tries to make his mind on where allegiances lie for Rio 2016.

“What makes it such an awful position to be in is I have grown up my whole life playing for Ireland under the Golfing Union of Ireland umbrella,” he said in a interview with the Daily Mail.
“But the fact is, I’ve always felt more British than Irish.

“Maybe it was the way I was brought up, I don’t know, but I have always felt more of a connection with the UK than with Ireland. And so I have to weigh that up against the fact that I’ve always played for Ireland and so it is tough. Whatever I do, I know my decision is going to upset some people but I just hope the vast majority will understand.”

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2012-09-11, 10:17 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Good man, with him being so popular in America, it would do him a lot of favours to play on the "Irish" crap for all the Irish in America, so good to see him making this statement!

Forum » ..:: Sports ::.. » Other sports » I feel more British
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: