Sunday, 2024-05-05, 11:17 AM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Ulster-Scots spoken in House of Commons (Ulster-Scots spoken for the first time at Westminster)
Ulster-Scots spoken in House of Commons
PalmettoPatriotDate: Wednesday, 2010-06-09, 10:53 PM | Message # 1
Group: Removed
Load ...

DUP MP Jim Shannon's Ulster-Scots maiden speech

(includes video of Mr Shannon speaking in Ulster-Scots)

Mr Shannon, who says he is not a fluent speaker of Ulster-Scots but is a keen enthusiast, provided a translation for his fellow MPs.

"Having had the opportunity to acknowledge and express my Ulster Scots roots and thanking the Speaker for his tolerance, I'll say it so you can all understand me," he said.

"There are many good things that I could say about the people of my constituency, but first of all I count it a great honour to speak on their behalf in the House of Commons.

"It is a privilege to represent the constituency in which I have lived and worked all my life.

"The Strangford people are the salt of the earth and in thanking them for their support I would also assure them that I shall work and do for them the best I can."

Message edited by PalmettoPatriot - Wednesday, 2010-06-09, 10:54 PM

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Ulster-Scots spoken in House of Commons (Ulster-Scots spoken for the first time at Westminster)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: