• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Torrens Exodus of Protestants
Torrens Exodus of Protestants
CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2014-08-06, 10:31 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Although I  believe this happened a few years back( 2004) it does give an idea of what is happening, and how Irish republicanism works. They always claim to be the oppressed, and unionists are the oppressors. Anyone has only to take a cursory look at a map, or at the statistics, to see that it was Protestants who were driven from their homes. Not one Catholic area has been taken over by Protestants, and yet the media and government believe the lies spewed out by the Irish Catholic republican propaganda machine.

I sincerely hope lower Oldpark is not next in line for those who have no interest in peace. Who's going to protect the PUL community.

Moving house is bad enough: being forced to move must be immeasurably worse. In Northern Ireland, where I grew up, hundreds of families move every year, because the petrol-bombs and death threats are getting a bit much. Usually, no one takes any notice, but last week one symbolic little exodus caught the attention of Radio 4's Today programme: the departure of the last 10 Protestant families from the Torrens estate in north Belfast.

Eight years ago, there were more than 100 Protestant families in the estate. As of last Thursday, there is none. Torrens was a small Protestant, unionist enclave within a largely Catholic, nationalist area, and its inhabitants were thus particularly vulnerable to the hail of sectarian taunts and petrol bombs that so often passes for neighbourly relations in Northern Ireland.

The Today reporter interviewed a Protestant mother of two, Elizabeth Ferguson, who was abandoning her home after 38 years. Three weeks ago, she said, "IRA" had been written on her window and her mother's fence. She said that she was often called "Orange bitch" by nationalist residents of the surrounding streets, and was now frightened to go to bed at night in case she and her family were petrol-bombed.

Ms Ferguson's 91-year-old grandmother, Betsy McClenaghan - who was also moving - told one reporter: "I have come through the blitzes and the 1932 riots but I've never known an upheaval like it." The intimate intensity of the cruelty in such places can be viscerally shocking. Earlier this year, in a Belfast newspaper, a 15-year-old Torrens resident called Sarah Kell - whose father, Trevor, a taxi-driver, was murdered by a republican gunman - described how certain local Catholic schoolchildren regularly shouted "Where's your da?" at her. Graffiti on their street echoed the taunts: "Sarah Kell, where's your da, ha ha ha."

I visited the Torrens estate not long ago: it was a depressing experience. I could see that it had once been a thriving working-class area with tiny but immaculate gardens. Now, many houses were abandoned and decaying, sealed up with steel shutters. A well-kept few were evidently still inhabited: they looked like a scattering of sound molars in a mouthful of bad teeth.

One might have thought that, at the sight of last week's pitiful evacuation, politicians of every hue would unite to condemn the intimidation that had triggered such desperate measures. Not so, apparently. A perfectly sanguine young Sinn Fein councillor for the area, Eoin O'Broin, was quick to deny that the Torrens residents had faced any kind of sectarian persecution at all.

Their problems, he said, came from living in "an interface community" which was naturally violent. "While these families have taken the decision to move out of the estate," he said, "it is not because of either a campaign of republican intimidation or ongoing sectarian violence."

I don't know exactly what Mr O'Broin calls abuse, petrol-bombing and the spraying of republican paramilitary names on Protestant houses, if not sectarian intimidation: perhaps he thinks of them as neighbourly exchanges and free exterior decoration.

Can he really believe that all these people are lying, or that a 91-year-old woman is abandoning her lifelong home on a sudden whim? I doubt it. But Mr O'Broin - steeped so long in Sinn Fein's myth that Northern Ireland's Catholics must always be oppressed and Protestants the oppressors - simply cannot bear to admit the truth about the intense anti-Protestant bigotry in many working-class Catholic areas.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment....ts.html

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2014-08-15, 11:33 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Suffolk has witnessed Protestant families being forced out by republican violence and the Lower Oldpark,Westland, Heights estate in Coleraine and Rasharkin, all in this year. A few words here and there is said, but nothing is done to highlight and combat the Irish republican beasts.

When Torrens fell, I remember watching it on TV, a young boy taking down the Union flag from outside his home, was a horrible scene to watch on TV, now the area is inhabited by Irish republicans. Other parts of Belfast are next on their list, in many of our areas they already have a very strong foothold, if we as a people don't wake up soon, never mind not having a Country left, we'll have to move, as once the Roman Catholics get a foothold, we only have to look at the history of our Ulster to see the way that they treat the Protestant people, a lot of our people don't give a damn, that's fair enough, there's nothing we can do with the wastes of space, but these idiots are in for a shock, as soon they will have no where left to run too, and the destructive evilness of Irish Roman Catholicism will soon be on their own doorstep.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2014-08-18, 8:50 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
That's the pity RSAUB, they have not wakened up and maybe never will. I think some have already accepted that its a lost cause. Its alright us talking to people of a like mind, whether in a bar in a loyalist area, or on loyalist Facebook pages. Its those outside this ring who maybe are a majority, and even if the're not it only takes a percentage of them to accept that its a fait accompli and its over. Of course the unknown quantity are those RC's who would vote for things to stay as they are. We cannot rely on Protestant numbers anymore, and plus the gerrymandering of the boundaries to ensure nationalist domination, things don't look to promising.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2016-09-25, 4:58 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
In 1996 Torrens was being attacked. There were those who thought to protect it but were faced down by other loyalist elements

An ugly stand-off ensued, with hundreds of republicans arriving in the area to ''rescue'' Catholics living there. Protestants in Torrens felt under threat and members of the local UVF went to an arms dump for weapons to defend their area. Shortly afterwards the UVF produced  an AK47 rifle and threatened to use it against Ardoyne republicans. News of this reached the Shankill and a UVF member from there arrived in Torrens and persuaded the local UVF men not to open fire on republicans and actually stood in front of the man who was holding the Kalashnikov. This action forced the local UVF to back off and the weapon was taken out of the area

8 years later 2004 the last Protestants were forced out of Torrens.

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2016-10-03, 4:05 PM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Load ...
Now the area has been completely redeveloped with fantastic new housing and is now a republican ghetto.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2016-10-05, 4:35 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Load ...
And so it continues..the one way traffic. When some were willing to make a stand but were not supported is it any wonder things are as they are.

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2018-05-07, 6:47 PM | Message # 7
Colonel general
Load ...
Very true, these loyalists who are selling Ulster down the river will have to live with what they've done to their own people. Republicans are pushing the boundaries throughout Ulster because they detect weakness in our community. A guy was recently telling me that Newington Housing wanted to move into Tigers Bay, they were putting out the feelers to see if they could get away with it, thankfully on this occasion they were rejected but we only have to look around us to see how much our territory is shrinking and even within our areas we have quite a number of mixed relationships, immigrants and people with no connection or interest in the local community as they view living in some of our areas as a short term thing.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Torrens Exodus of Protestants
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: