Saturday, 2024-05-18, 11:54 AM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Ballymena runner won’t appeal Olympic snub (Replaced by 2nd best from eire)
Ballymena runner won’t appeal Olympic snub
BillstickerDate: Wednesday, 2012-07-25, 9:52 PM | Message # 1
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
Ballymena runner won’t appeal Olympic snub

Joanna Mills
Published on Wednesday 25 July 2012 14:11

BALLYMENA runner Joanna Mills will not appeal the decision to oust her from Ireland’s 4x400m Olympic relay team.

In a s hort statement issued through her online Twitter account, she said that she would not be taking her case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Switzerland.

“I’ve decided that even though I may have grounds to win the appeal I’m not going to take it to CAS!”

She added: ”I wish the 4×4 success at London 2012.”

Mills had been left gutted on Tuesday after the decision from Athletics Ireland to pick Catriona Cuddihy, who was ranked one place below Joanna when the teams were originally chosen earlier this year

On her twitter account, Joanna expressed her thanks to the messages of support she had received since the controversy began.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2012-07-26, 1:10 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Seems there has always been a tendancy by these people to favour those in Eire rather than those from Ulster. I remember the same thing happened with the boxers. The fella from here had beat the Free Stater on quite a few few ocassions and yet the guy from Eire was chosen.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

BillstickerDate: Thursday, 2012-07-26, 8:31 PM | Message # 3
Lieutenant colonel
Load ...
Well if they will represent a foreign country then they deserve all they get.

I understand that Joanna was the better runner of the two. Now could it be that a good catholic southerner is more acceptable and that miss mills was leaned on not to appeal to the Swiss authorities so avoiding exposing a nasty scandal prior to the games commencing............

I wonder!!!!

Message edited by Billsticker - Thursday, 2012-07-26, 8:32 PM

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2012-07-29, 9:40 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
You could be right,I certainly agree it would be better if she hadn't have got herself in that position. But seein as Ulster never cut all these sporting links with Eire it became part of the Eire set-up and those from Ulster are usually in all-Ireland sporting bodies. Though I'm not sure if this is the case with the athletic people.

A while back the Labour MP from here Kate Hoey complained that youngsters from NI weren't able to avail themselves of the British Lawn Tennis Asscciation's coaching courses. She was told by that body that their coaching should be done though the Irish body.

So its something that has become ingrained in most of the sporting life in Ulster.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

SlappataigDate: Sunday, 2012-08-26, 3:25 PM | Message # 5
Colonel
Load ...
^ thanks in no part, for the deafening silence by NI fans to ever change their celtic cross, irish promoting, green wearing get up the NI football team is always sporting.
never had any green interest in them (or the IFA) for that reason, especially when they realised they green, white and yellow scarves and flags. used to green white and blue.

one way to get into working class loyalist psyche is to promote it through their beer filled football days i guess.

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2012-08-26, 8:38 PM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Yip, those in power realise just how important sport and particular football is to the ordinary working class Protestant, and it's yet another step towards the green bricked road to a United Ireland if not politically certainly culturally.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Ballymena runner won’t appeal Olympic snub (Replaced by 2nd best from eire)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: