• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Videos » To Late To Talk To Billy
To Late To Talk To Billy
CulzieDate: Monday, 2010-03-22, 2:29 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Some clips from the 1984 'Play For Today'. It was filmed in the Donegall Road area around the 'Cool' streets. Coolbeg,Coolderry etc. One of the scenes is inside the old Sandy Row Rangers Supporters Club.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2012-02-22, 6:26 AM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Have been watching these on BBC 2 recently, showed us in not to bad a light, especially in the episode showing the band playing. Terrible accent by Kenneth Branagh, think he left Belfast when he was 9.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2012-02-22, 6:12 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yes he did indeed. I think he came from around the Mountcollyer area ..York St/Shore Rd. I think the Billy Trilogy showed that Protestants are a different people. I can't think of any similar plays about Catholics and them being shown in the same way ''warts and all'. They are usually shown as a people that are owed a living and that their troubles of life are everybody else's fault....not theirs.

Did you see the old SRRC in a couple of the scenes? I knew the Cool streets fairly well and have a relative who still lives in that area. Brought back old memories.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2012-02-22, 6:44 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Load ...
Aye I seen the Old Rangers in it, it did indeed show the Protestants as a different people, probably why it was only shown for a short period of time.

Yip, that’s were Kenneth Branagh was from, he still openly admits to supporting the Blues and Rangers, but I’ve never heard him come out with any pro-loyalist sentiment, although that would probably be career suicide for him.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-03-05, 11:13 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
The only man I could really say who did take stand about his roots was Charlie Lawson. Take me to the Shankill I'd rather be with them he said as they drove him along the Falls Rd.

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2012-03-05, 11:49 PM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
Aye, aul Charlie did do well on that show. Good to see him standing by his roots.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Videos » To Late To Talk To Billy
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: