Wednesday, 2024-05-15, 1:12 PM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Ulster Day a holiday?
Ulster Day a holiday?
CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2010-09-29, 9:55 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Well Ulster Day has came and gone and I wonder did anybody even notice that it was Ulster Day yesterday (Tuesday 28 Sept 2010). Seem to be more going on last year at Ibrox etc. But maybe this is a good idea for the future. It is something I feel we should all get behind and push for.

' MAKE ULSTER DAY A HOLIDAY'

There were calls to make Ulster Day a public holiday last night as toasts were made across the province to celebrate the 98th anniversary of the signing of the Ulster Solemn League and Covenant.

One of the biggest events to commemorate the anniversary took place at the Ulster Reform Club in Belfast. News Letter editor Darwin Templeton was among the speakers,along with deputy Lord Mayor of Belfast William Humphrey.

Ulster Day can be traced back to 1912,when on September 28 almost half a million Ulster men and women signed the covenant or declaration voicing their opposition to Home Rule. The covenant was written in response to the third Home Rule Bill,introduced by the goverment.

The text was written by Thomas Sinclair with input from the Presbyterian Church who advised that the terms of the covenant should be confined to ''the present conspiracy to set up a Home Rule parliament in Ireland'' rather than binding its signatories to opposition in perpetuity.

Edward Carson was the first person to sign the covenant at the Belfast City Hall,followed by Lord Londonderry,representatives of the Protestant churches,and then Sir James Craig.

In total 471,414 signed in church,Orange and community halls across Ulster. Those at sea also had the opportunity to add their names. In signing the covenant,signatories pleged to oppose Home Rule and defend Ulster ''using all means necessary''.

The centenary of the signing of the Ulster Covenant will take place in 2012 and there are already working groups set up to organise events to commemorate it.

Mr Humphery said the day was of ''enormous significance'' to Northern Ireland and called for it to be made a public holiday. ''I believe that the covenant was a hugely significant and the day it was signed should be marked.'' he said. ''The Ulster Covenant clearly laid the basis for the galvinisation of the unionist people not just in Ulster but across the UK.''

The Ulster-Scots Community Network has produced a booklet detailing the events leading up to the signing of the covenant. For a copy write to 68-72 Great Victoria Street,Belfast,BT2 7BB or telephone 90436710. A limited number are also available from the News Letter office in Linenhall Street in Belfast city centre.

Additionally the Public Records Office of Northern Ireland have digitised all the signature and a database of all the names is on its website. To check a name,log on to http://www.proni.gov.uk

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

SlappataigDate: Friday, 2010-10-01, 10:35 AM | Message # 2
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
well #aware of it, there was also a 4 band parade in ballymena, yet i would say a lot of folk walking didnt know why.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2010-10-01, 2:41 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Think I mentioned before that a few years ago me and one of the mates went to Ballymena expecting an Ulster Day parade (there had been one the couple of previous years) but when we got there they told us in the bar that there was nothing on,that the local band usually held a band parade,but that year for whatever reason it wasn't taking place. So a wasted journey.

The only thing which was happening was a 'talk' in some O.H. on the outskirts of the town. Good to hear there was something happening this year. I think there is a parade from the Cosy now.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2010-10-07, 8:57 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Hopefully plenty of things will happen next year in the build up to the big one in 2012. Will be a long time before it will ever become a holiday, but the more events happening on the ground are the only way of starting the ball rolling, and then hopefully are political representives take up the fight of promoting Ulster Day.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2010-10-08, 8:03 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
I hope after we have the build up RSAUB and its not back again to the usual after its all over. I agree we need the politicans to push for this and Humphries has did so. Lets hope the momentum is not lost. It is perhaps a card to be played in answer to paddy day holiday calls.

I and another few lads held an Ulster Day parade a few years ago. We got about 90/100 there including two bands. So you can see the interest wasn't there. But what I have noticed is that sometimes it is noticed by others and taken up by them. So even if ours wasn't a success it can still be made a success by others. Thats all I'm interested in....the day itself never mind who runs it.

I think too whatever takes place it should be open to all not just the loyal orders etc. After all many people signed it who did not have Orange etc membership. It should be truly a day for all the loyal people of Ulster

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2010-10-10, 7:18 PM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
Yes it should be open to all those from our community, community groups, cultural groups etc. It was interesting to hear that the parade this year in Ballymena involved all the loyal orders. Unfortunately I never knew the parade was on so didn't get down to watch it.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2010-10-11, 3:15 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
Sometimes I wonder do they want it to be low key. Apparently on Ulster Day they had religious services in the morning and the religious people might be against having parades etc. Just a thought. I may be away off track. Most of these days which were once the preserve of the churches are now days for the people. I think Ulster Day should be the same.

My own opinion is that it should be a bigger day than the 12th as it was an Ulster thing and similar to the Siege in that respect wheras the 12th was more of an internationa affair.

Lets hope they get their act together.

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2010-10-12, 8:16 PM | Message # 8
Colonel general
Load ...
We can only hope so... for a community that loves its parades and collecting for bonfires and putting up flags etc, things that actually take time to do and physical effort, when it comes to more culturally important things like Ulster Day and maintaining/preserving the Clyde Valley etc, we're hopeless. I think it really comes from a lack a leadership on the political front and our community groups are just interested in grants.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2010-10-13, 4:40 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Load ...
Interested in grants says a lot. Thats the impression I have got over the years. Its not a genuine interest in the culture or traditions of our people. I may have mentioned it before but it was well illustrated to me when attending a meeting at the City Hall about Ulster Scots.

There were various groups there from different parts. Each representative had to briefly introduce themselves before entering into discussion. One of the points made was getting young people interested. They went on that they needed funds to do this. Believing them to be serious and really interested in Ulster Scots I suggested(in my naviety) getting street names erected in Ullans would be one way of bringing them on board. Hearing them talking about needing funds I seen this as a way where no funds would be needed. All that was required was a few of the young people to take on a street each and go door to door requesting the peope to sign a petition then on getting the required number take it to the local Council. The young 'uns would be involved in this and learn a bit and feel a part of the Ulster Scots movement.

Boy was I naive. They looked 'daggers' at me,practically ignored me and went back to talking about funding. We live and we learn,and I certainly learned from that experience.

SlappataigDate: Wednesday, 2010-10-13, 7:14 PM | Message # 10
Colonel
Load ...
^that sounds bad, unionists in suits just seem to be following greed on a massive scale since 2000.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2010-10-13, 7:56 PM | Message # 11
Generalissimo
Load ...
I would say your right Slappa. There are none of principle nowdays. The only two that I had any time for over the years were McQuade and Bradford and maybe McCusker. Have to say I never met any of them but what I heard and read of them I came to the conclusion that they were genuine people who cared for Ulster.

I don't get that feeling about any of them nowdays.

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-03-20, 8:24 PM | Message # 12
Generalissimo
Load ...
There was a big meeting in the Park Avenue Hotel to do with the forthcoming centenary celebrations. I was unable to attend this one but did attend a smaller one on Thursday night. They had whittled down the seventeen pages of suggestions which had come from the Park Avenue meeting and we had a discussion about them. There is also an event (book launch i think) at Craigavon House in the coming weeks.

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2011-03-21, 11:41 PM | Message # 13
Colonel general
Load ...
Sounds promising, this is the big one, so lets hope if nothing else instead of some kind of grand one off parade, that the foundations for this day to be really remember and celebrated properly for years to come. The key is education and dare I say it, I don’t even think a year is long enough to prepare everything that is needed to celebrate such an important event. The foundations should a been layed years ago with education at the forefront and events each year leading up to the climax that will be the centenary.

SlappataigDate: Tuesday, 2011-03-22, 11:19 AM | Message # 14
Colonel
Load ...
^^they have there's been a committee as couple years now. im not too sure though if actually much progress has been made.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2011-03-22, 4:09 PM | Message # 15
Generalissimo
Load ...
Slappa I heard there was 130 at the Park Ave meeting. There is another one this Thursday. I've been asked to go again so will keep y'all posted.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Ulster Day a holiday?
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: