Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Keep Increasing
Keep Increasing
CulzieDate: Thursday, 2011-02-10, 9:00 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
IN, Fri,Feb 4 2011

This day Feb,Feb 4 1942

Speaking at a meeting of the Derry Catholic Registration Association,its President, Rev John O'Doherty,CC, St Eugene's Cathedral,said: ''Last week the press reported a timely and able statement by the leader of the nation Eamon de Valera in which he referred to the Nationalist majority in Derry City. Now it depends on you to see this majority is maintained and increasing'.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2011-02-10, 10:05 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
And how it has increased in Londonderry, it's the areas like Magheramason, Drumahoe, Newbuildings etc, that boost up the Protestant numbers in the City. Even the loyalist estates in the Waterside have Catholics moving into them. Sad times are ahead for Prods up there, with the closing down last year of the tavern, only real prod bar in City side, with the mem only open on set occaisions and Rochesters in the Waterside hardly ever open now and the gallery were all the young Prods use to go, now a restaurant type bar, rather than a nightclub, only real prod bar left is Upstairs downstairs and the 3 mile in Drumahoe is closed as well I think.

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2011-02-12, 12:04 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
I remember an rc guy on Talkback saying that the population of derry was expected to rise by 30,000 (think that was the number quoted) in so many years. He went on to say that these will hardly be Protestants moving into the city. He had a point.

We had a pointer to what could happen. All we had to do was look at the three 'lost counties'but knowing that we just carry on as usual Dennis Norden style....''it will be alright on the night''

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2011-02-12, 4:47 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Load ...
Aye, more and more Protestants moving out of the City and every new development is almost exclusively Roman Catholic.

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-02-13, 2:34 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
I seen it in the reports of the Stormont proceedings a debate which was going on re housing in Londonderry. A Unionist member was complaining about housing which had been built beside an Orange Hall. There were 70 odd houses built, of these only 13 were for Protestants. Of course the Nationalist opposition made jokes about this along with a bit of whinging,saying that Catholics should have got them all.

This was in the early 1960s. So here we had a Unionist goverment building houses most of which for Nationalists and yet the whinge went on. Is it any wonder that some Prods said it was no use trying to work with them. Stuff em.

You would have a pretty long list if you wrote down all the social housing estates which were built in RC areas by the Unionist goverment.

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2011-02-14, 0:02 AM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
Yip after partition Londonderry’s Roman Catholic population increased ten-fold with R.C. moving over the border on large numbers from Donegal, during the Stoirmont years and even under the Unionist council in the City, mass building work was carried out on the Roseville flats and the Creggan for social housing, yes may be a few Protestants lived in these areas back then but the vast-majority of the housing went to the Roman Catholic community, while at that time the fountain area before it was all knocked down and rebuilt had some of the worst housing in the City, a bit like the Lower Shankill in Belfast which was classed as having the worst standard of housing in the City of Belfast.

It does say a lot about our own lot but, even when we held the balance of power, we still didn’t do enough for our own community. For me, obviously idealistic view-point, but the loyalist people and amongst them the most loyal of the loyal should have been looked after, especially back in those day when people were truly “working class loyalists” rather than an almost under-class that exists now, where people want to scrounge of benefits and have no incentive to work hard and lack of pride in themselves and their areas.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2011-02-15, 6:01 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yes I think all the honest 'experts' agree that as far as social housing goes the RC population were better looked after than were the working-class Protestants. Time and again this has been shown to be true,but the RC population had only to claim 'discrimination' and everyone believed them without looking into these claims.

Also in employment it wasn't all one-way traffic. In those days it was matter of ''looking after your own'' and this applied to the RC people as well as the Protestant people. It applied to families too where a member of the family would 'speak' for another family member to get them a job. This happened on the mainland also and I'm sure in other countries thoughout the world. I have mentioned before (I think) about the dockers and the deep-sea dockers. You had to have a 'button' to stand a chance of getting employed on the docks. The 'dockers' were mostly Protestant. The 'deep-sea dockers' were mostly Catholic. The 'dockers' had their Social Club in Lower North Street (now closed), The 'deep-sea dockers' Social Club is in Pilot Street.

The thing is,I think the Catholics could see how the world,the standards and the old ways were changing. How the student protests and other protests were taking off. They hitched themselves to this and played a brilliant game as a suppressed,oppressed,repressed people. Nobody but nobody was prepared to give a hearing to the Protestant side.

Though have to say the Protestants didn't see how things were changing and perhaps wern't interested, the world would stay the same and it was just a 'flash in the pan'

SlappataigDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 4:00 PM | Message # 8
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
- I was in Cloughmills last week and a GAA team passed me, jogging, I stared open mouthed at them till the went on by (i was in middle of estate up there) and then I cross over into petrol station, and there is 2 more GAA wearing scumbags in the shop!

My first time in the village in 4 years.

I asked about after this incident and turns out its nearly the same as Rasharkin/Randalstown getting, sickening as ever.

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 5:58 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Load ...
Its ongoing Slappa and I'm sorry to hear that. We can't plead ignorance,we can see what is happening but what to do about it is the thing. Off subject in a way but still similar is the Muslims and how they are expanding. They too have a goal and are organising towards achieving that goal. The WASP people on the other hand seem to be apathetic and have a couldn't care less attitude. In our own situation we seem to like 'playing bands' and parading rather than working to an agenda. There is more hot air spoken about parades and more kick-up and the things that really matter are neglected. If they would think more of holding their areas then the band/parades issue wouldn't have arisen....but they didn't.

Those who have a goal and organise themselves seem to be taking over. Those that don't bother will ultimately pay the price for their indifference.

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2011-03-06, 6:33 PM | Message # 10
Colonel general
Load ...
Yip, our community is famous for sticking their heads in the sand. They just don’t want to see what is going on around them, demographics are changing rapidly. We need to work to secure what ever territory we have left and by what ever means at the disposal of our community otherwise our Country will be totally overwhelmed.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2011-03-08, 5:25 PM | Message # 11
Generalissimo
Load ...
A few lines from 'The Birth Of Ulster' by Cyril Falls. A different age from what we have been talking about but still maybe some revelance till today.

Yet the first half of the century was a black epoch for Ulster. There was a flood of emigration to New England,mainly composed of Presbyterians,who,to add to their economic difficulties,were without legal freedom of worship and were debarred from holding even municipal office. In the place of the emigrants,Irish Catholics from the south drifted in and were violently opposed by the Protestants who had stayed behind. Protestant Peep-of-Day Boys engaged in horrible nocturnal struggles with Catholic Defenders.

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2011-03-10, 11:27 PM | Message # 12
Colonel general
Load ...
Indeed, this is exactly what’s happening. I was out in Belfast Monday week ago with a few student friends of mine from Londonderry all three are originally from the Bond street area of the City, one is moving to London, another is going travelling for a year, wherever he ends up in the World I can‘t see it being back in his mummys in the back streets of Londonderry and the third is studying medicine so the Worlds his oyster in a few years time when he’s fully qualified as a doctor and I couldn’t see him going back home to Londonderry and that’s three Prods who are studying in Belfast, god knows what ambition all those already studying over on the Mainland have of returning to Northern Ireland, most seem to return when there in their 40s or 50s when they fancy the quiet life or move back to be close to their elderly parents etc but for the young generation who get an education they all seem to fly away literally.

That quote from the book is interesting, shows that even then the Irish were moving up into the more industrialised North and also the dangers of what happens once Prods shift their ground.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2011-03-17, 2:02 PM | Message # 13
Generalissimo
Load ...
Maybe I feel it a wee bit more when the things you describe above happen. I was living in England and came back to Ulster. Not looking medals or anything like that but we stayed though all of the troubles and it does bug me a bit when others take off when we could be doing with them. I thank all those who did stay,,doctors,nurses policemen,UDR men etc etc. But maybe your friends will come back as we do need them and their skills.

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2011-03-17, 10:07 PM | Message # 14
Colonel general
Load ...
Indeed we do needs these young Protestants skills. I think this is where we are really going to struggle in the next few years. As we have a ageing Protestant population, particularly a ageing middle class Protestant population and an increasing highly skilled majority of Roman Catholics in the middle classes, it is in this area of highly skilled professionals that are community are really going to struggle on a numbers ratio with the Roman Catholics.

Another young Protestant I know who’s living in Belfast at the moment also studying medicine at Queens plans to join the RAF, so the chances of him staying in Northern Ireland are next to nothing.

Something needs to be done to encourage these people to stay here.

On a side note. I stood and watched a band parade there tonight and looking at those following the bands, it is as clear as day that there is a real under-class of scum being raised up within our community. And I’m a working class Protestant myself and grew up with some amount a eejits in my own age group, but what seems to be coming through is nothing short of being on a par-with west Belfast hoods!

CulzieDate: Friday, 2011-03-18, 2:50 PM | Message # 15
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yeah you got a point about the hoods. I can't point the finger at anybody I was a bit of a wild 'un in my younger days but tame maybe compared to what we see today. I think why at least some take off elsewhere is because they have no allegiance to their country. They stop counting at 1. By their country I of course mean Ulster, But if its a British identity is foremost in their minds then of course they could say 'Iam still in my country' if they go to the mainland. Don't mean any harm to your mates but it is a 'get out clause' for them or indeed anybody. If we had eveyone think Ullish and a very strong love and loyalty for the land of their birth then I think it would be a different matter.

I remember when in Rhodesia (think it was) when some of them panicked at the first instance and started to hit the trail it was referred to as the chicky or yellow trail something like that. We didn't go for the three counties and I'm meaning after the deal was done re the drawing up of the border. There was no gun or bomb campaign launched to return the three counties. I think that says a lot about the two different types of people.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Keep Increasing
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: