Thursday, 2024-04-18, 6:52 AM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Blazing Row Over Lady Ga-Ga Irish Flag Stunt
Blazing Row Over Lady Ga-Ga Irish Flag Stunt
CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2010-11-02, 2:49 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Can't help feeling that part of this is our own fault. As long as 'irish' is in the name of the country then people from outside this place in the wider world are going to make the assumpation 'irish = tricolour

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news....93.html

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2010-11-02, 5:31 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
That's exactly it, she flys the flag of the Irish because she believes she's in Eire. Although somebody involved in the organisation of the event and is sure to have prior notice of this is sure to have known how controversial the move may be, so heads should roll.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2010-11-02, 8:32 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
I think there are so many of the other crowd now in these jobs nowdays that they ignore it or maybe even encourage it. I just forget who the artists were, might have been Westlife but thge wife and daughter were there and some in the crowd sarted to wave the tricolour. Of course the missus and daughter and a few other people objected to this. They then complained to the stewards ....but they did nothing. Hold on,I ask the missus there now she can't remember to well but she thinks the stewards told them to put the tricolour away. She did say that Westlife had the Union flag on stage. Think it was that year they were backing the British Legion Poppy Appeal.

But anyway taht sort of thing been happening for many years,away even before the 'troubles'. Different football teams playing in Europe had the tricolour run up in the grounds of the team they were playing. Also the Ulster flag doesn't fly at the Alamo. As far as Im aware the tricolour does. I read on two different ocassions over a period of intervening years about Ullish people visiting there had queried this and were told that they were represented in the Union flag. But so too were Scotland and Wales,yet they had there own flags there also.

Eric Montgomery's words still echo down though the years when he said the name NI. will forever link us to the irish/irish republic. But where there is no vision the people perish.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2010-11-04, 4:05 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
Couple of comments from the BT

Ironic that many of you do not have a problem with the tricolour being displayed at the concert but have a real issue with Union flag or Ulster flag being displayed at Northern Ireland international matches.

Now answer this question honestly. What wold your reaction have been if she had waved an Ulster flag?

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news....KWn2quN

I recall being at an Iron Maiden concert in Dublin a couple of years ago when the lead singer brought a Union Flag on stage. It was during the song "the Trooper" (as he always does for this song about the Crimean War) Despite being welcomed all over the world, and despite the fact the audience had all payed €60 a pop to be there, he was soon pelted with bottles until he had to leave the stage.

I think this story is testament to the tolerance of Northerners over their Southern counterparts when history dictates it should be quite the opposite.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news....KX1Axtp

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2010-11-05, 10:42 PM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Never knew about Iron Maiden being attacked in Dublin, but says it all about the Irish, especially when these same Iron Maiden fans knew before hand that they would probably sing the Trooper song. On Lady Gaga it all comes down to the word 'Ireland'. I think a lot of the security staff and safety stewards hired in for these big concerts and events are actually Prods, I know a few boys who do it and they all say it's mainly prods who seem to do it.

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2010-11-06, 3:22 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Load ...
Well thats some good new re the Prod security. Yes it does all come down to that word 'ireland' We can see on the mainland that the three countries have their names,but they also have a different name to cover the whole island. That is something we lack here. I think the same could be said of Haiti and the Dominican Republic and the different name for the whole island is Hispaniola. Also I don't think that there is a demand from either country that the other belongs to them. I haven't heard of an 'armed struggle' (murder campaign) going on to make one country part of the other. To be absorbed by the other. Of course I may have missed it.

But I believe that a major part of it not being the same as here is because they have two different names. So we come back to Eric Montgomery who said we should have dropped the irish name away back in the 1950s. But of course the Unionist clique at Stormont wouldn't listen. The men without vision overcame the man with vision

Of course I should perhaps have mentioned one Unionist who agreed with Eric Montgomery....Mr McCoy.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Blazing Row Over Lady Ga-Ga Irish Flag Stunt
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: