Friday, 2024-04-19, 3:20 AM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Margaret Thatcher was not against a united Ireland
Margaret Thatcher was not against a united Ireland
CulzieDate: Thursday, 2010-12-30, 5:15 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
And Gradualism does it says Hunphrey Atkins. So are those unionists who are following the 'green brick road' part of this?

Margaret Thatcher was not against united Ireland
Thursday, 30 December 2010

Former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher's government privately signalled that it would not stand in the way of a united Ireland a year after sweeping to power.

State files released for the first time show the reputedly hardline Conservative administration told Dublin it had a greater interest in Northern Ireland than London.

But the then Secretary of State Humphrey Atkins confided in Foreign Affairs Minister Brian Lenihan that "there would be an explosion" if it emerged they were making plans towards reunification.

"One step would have to be taken at a time," he said, according to government notes of a meeting between the two on April 15, 1980.

"There was 'no way' he could go round promoting Irish unity. This was simply not possible. That was not to say however that it was something that the British Government would stand in the way of - but it could not promote it."

Mr Atkins insisted that persuasion was needed to remove genuine Protestant fears and apprehensions.

The previously classified notes of the meeting in Dublin show Mr Atkins - considered by many an uncompromising Tory - advised then Taoiseach Charles Haughey on the apparent British position.

"The Secretary of State indicated that he had said to the Taoiseach that the Irish Government's interest in Northern Ireland was greater than any other party except of course the people of Northern Ireland," the notes reveal.

A year later Mrs Thatcher memorably remarked that "Northern Ireland is as British as Finchley."

The documents released from the Taoiseach's office, under the 30-year rule, show the Irish Government was already pushing for a three-strand resolution focusing on North/South and British/Irish dimensions, as well as cross-community relations within the North. The model would eventually form the basis of the Good Friday Agreement 18 years later.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2011-01-10, 1:35 AM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Says a lot about the traitors we have at Westminster, make no mistake, they have destroyed many parts of the British mainland with the dreaded disease of multiculturalism. These people don’t care about their kith and kin. They are rats, I just hope that someday although it will probably never happen, that true British nationalists come to power in this nation and we are ruled by people who truly love this Nation. That’s not to say all politicians are bad, off-course a couple of Conservative party members paid with their lives due to their devotion to keeping the Union flag flying in this part of the U.K. and Enoch Powell ruined his political career for telling the truth.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2011-01-14, 2:23 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
True Ian Gow especially comes to mind and of course Airey Neave. And your right, having pride and a love for your country is scoffed,scorned and sneered at by some in the political classes. Patriotism has become a dirty word in some people's thinking in the UK and America

And of course for oul oireland,its OK to be patriotic even to go out murder and maim for oul oireland rolleyes

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2011-01-14, 8:16 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Load ...
Well said, you can be a proud Irishman, but a proud Briton, well then your a racist or a narrow-minded idiot.

As George Seawright said.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that you could not be a career politician and a patriot at the same time. I believe that career politicians whose prime objective is to gain and hold political office within the Establishment are the enemies of true patriotism, as true patriotism puts the welfare and destiny of her people before personal gain and political advantage. I notice that another Sunday rag spoke of my political career as being "in ruins" as I lose my council seat through this prison sentence. My response to that is so what? So long as I never lose my loyalist convictions. Indeed, they must be crazy if they think that by removing my freedom they could also remove my loyalist conviction."

Unfortunately while George Seawright never lost his loyalist convictions, he did lose his life because of them.

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2011-01-15, 5:54 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
So very very true, both your comment and Geordie Seawrights. He is on the money when he talks of these politicans being the enemies of true patriotism. I walked alongside of Geordie though the Tunnel and back down the Garvaghy road where he was moved in behind me as the micks were making grabs for him. A true patriot indeed, and its galling to see these other crap we have now who will lick ass and boots to further their own career.

Dare to be a Daniel,Dare to stand alone.

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2011-01-16, 2:24 AM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
Indeed a patriot of Ulster, and a man who isn’t remembered as much as he should be, the present batch of Unionist politicians, well you just can’t compare them to George Seawright, none of them have any fire in their belly..

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-01-16, 7:32 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
Aye Geordie was not one of them and it was a loss when he went. There was a fella from the Sandy Row/Donegall Rd area who formed an ABOD Club and named it after him. It was all go the go at one time. They held a parade in the Shankill area to a mural of him (might even been them who got it painted) and then they had a Memorial Service in the Spectrum Centre on another ocassion. They even had a banner (unusual for a Belfast Club) with his portrait on it. Then all of a sudden (to me anyway) they disappeared from the scene. Funny one that.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Margaret Thatcher was not against a united Ireland
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: