Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Book of Reflection
Book of Reflection
CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-03-05, 5:21 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
records Lost Lives during the Troubles

The Associated Clubs of the Apprentice Boys of Derry 'Book of Reflection' was dedicated by Very Reverend Dean Morton during St Columb's Cathedral's public Service of Thanksgiving on the 323rd Anniversary of the Shutting of the Gates. The Book of Reflection records the lives lost as the result of the conflict since 1969 who were members of the Apprentice Boys of Derry. There are a total of 42 names recorded in the book,the youngest 19 years old and the oldest aged 71 years.

The first life lost was that of Joseph Forsythe,a builder's labourer aged 65,caught in an IRA van bomb blast (28th March 1972) outside Limavady police station where he had been sitting in his car with railway porter William Mitchell who also died in that instant. The oldest life lost was that of Kitchener Johnston,caught in the IRA bomb at Enniskillen (8 November 1987), Kitchener's wife also died that day,as did another member Edward Armstrong. Both Kitchener and Edward belonged to the same Enniskillen Branch Club. The youngest name,and the final name recorded,is William Campbell,just 19 years old who died in a pipe bomb blast.

William Moore,General Secretary of the Associated Clubs of the Apprentice Boys of Derry commented, 'Our Book of Reflection is a sad commentary on lives lost across decades of conflict. We have included all referred by our Clubs. From first to last it is a story of wasted lives. Most were caught unawares going about their business. Some were members of the security forces. It has taken a long time to bring this Book of Reflection together. Perhaps while we most reflect upon is how the beauty of such a unique creation could hold the story of such ugly brutality arising from conflict. Everyone in this book was some mother's son. They were fathers,uncles,husbands and brothers. Every one a life lost.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2012-03-05, 6:58 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
I'll have to get my hands on this book, glad to see a book like this being done. To many our prepared to forget the evils of the past.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2012-03-07, 8:08 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
I'm thinking this book is like a memorial type of thing held in the Catherdal. Maybe to view it and sign it. I'm not sure though.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

JohnDate: Sunday, 2013-09-08, 11:04 PM | Message # 4
Private
Group: Users
Load ...
The Book of reflection is held in the room of reflection in the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall and is open to view by the public. The ornate book contains the names of members of the Associated Clubs of the Apprentice Boys of Derry who have died the the "Troubles." It is a memorial to their memory. Each person killed has a separate page and pages are turned frequently and protected in a glass cabinet. This is positioned between a framed document showing all the names in the book on one side and a suitable framed prayer on the other. It is in a small room allowing visiting family etc to sit for a few moments of reflection if they wish. A word with ABOD staff could arrange to have the book open at an appropriate page for relatives/associates to view the entry of their loved one or friend.. Lest we forget. Billy Stewart ABOD No Surrender Club. c3po.derrywalls@btinternet.com

JWA Stewart

CulzieDate: Monday, 2013-09-09, 1:21 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Thank you brother for the information. No Surrender.

KathyLoebDate: Wednesday, 2022-07-27, 7:42 PM | Message # 6
Private
Group: Users
Load ...
I'm glad I found him. I enjoy reading books and would be interested in reading a book of reflections. But right now, due to studies, I have absolutely no time for my favorite pastime. I need a argumentative essay writer. Because writing essays has always been a challenge for me. And in college I almost got expelled for it. As soon as I pull up my studies I will immediately return to my favorite occupation.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Book of Reflection
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: