Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Regeneration in Shankill
Regeneration in Shankill
CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-03-05, 5:43 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
'is more than housing alone'

Social Development Minister,Nelson McCausland, has outlined plans to spend £37 million on housing in Shankill. Speaking recently at the Shankill Convention on Housing,the Minister set out plans for 170 new homes and improvements for a further 2,700,an of £37 million.

Addressing delegates,Minister McCausland said: ''My department has made a significant difference to life across the Shankill in recent times; transforming once derelict sites and bringing forward improvements to homes that will help people stay warm this winter. Though the provision of much needed new housing and the upgrading of so many homes,we are not only improving houses in the area,but bringing new opportunities and employment and building a sustainable future. ''It is true that for many years the Shankill suffered from under investment and sub standard housing,but not anymore. The scale and pace of this work should reassure local people that the Shankill is not forgotten and that despite a difficult and troubled past it has an exiciting and promising future. Linking the wider work of his Department to plans for the Shankill,the Minister concluded: ''Of course,our plans can not begin and end with a housing only solution. Regeneration is about much more. My department has invested a further £1.7million into the area though the Belfast Regeneration Office. This supports 37 full time and 19 part time posts across the community,each playing a vital role in the provision of services to local people. We need to adopt a more holistic approach so communities can have not only better homes,but access to more employment and training opportunities that will offer them a better future,''

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2012-03-05, 6:59 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
This can only be good news, some of the houses in the Shankill are in a terrible state with damp, and it's also good to see more houses build as there is a demand in the area for more housing.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-03-05, 8:44 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yes good news for a change which was long overdue. Though I would have liked to see 2,700 being built and 170 getting the improvements. biggrin Only kidding. Anything which improves our lot is to be applauded.

Have you been in the Row lately? I'm just wondering how the houses being built at the corner of Albion St and Scott St are going. I haven't been in the Row for a while now. Maybe take a trip to it next week sometime. They had started them a fair time ago so I'm reckoning the must be nearing completion.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2012-03-05, 11:36 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
I know a family from Taughy who are from the row, and are moving back down to it, who are getting one of these new houses, they haven't moved in yet as far as I know, but it's good to see that local people are being awarded the houses.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2012-03-06, 11:34 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Thats great news. Thats what I love to hear, lets hope that it continues and with N. McCausland in that job now he should continue the good work. Our people deserve to be considered and given hope after all which they have been though over the years. We haven't to many who take us into account when it comes to these things but at least those who represent us should do so.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Regeneration in Shankill
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: