Because He Was A Protestant
CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2012-12-25, 10:21 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
News Letter
By GEMMA MURRAY
Published on Monday 24 December 2012 10:17

THE widow of a man taken out of his digger and shot by the IRA 35 years ago last night said the news that his memorial had been stolen “is just all I need coming up to Christmas”.

Betty Clarke, 62, spoke to the News Letter after discovering a mahogany memorial she had cemented in place just one year ago on the site where her husband was abducted near Mullaghabawn in south Armagh had been stolen.

On April 2, 1977, Hugh William Clarke, 31, was found lying on the roadside on the Belleeks to Crossmaglen Road.
He had been shot three times in the head by the IRA.

The father-of-three had been digging drains at a farm in Mullaghbawn when he was abducted by three armed and masked men.
He was driven a short distance before being shot and his body dumped at Redmond’s Cross, about five miles from the border.
Mr Clarke – whose wife Betty was expecting their fourth child – then lived in Fairview, Newtownhamilton, Co Armagh.

“When I heard this today, well, it does not help me coming up to Christmas,” said Mrs Clarke.
“It is 35 years since Willie was shot and it feels like yesterday.
“The people who did this are nothing but scum.
“I have no words for them.
“My daughter rang me in hysterics when she found out what had happened. That’s all we need coming up to Christmas.
“I don’t know when it happened exactly.
“We put the memorial there about a year ago. We had been hesitant to do it because we thought it would have been destroyed. But it was OK for a year so we thought it would last.
“But look what has happened.”

Mrs Clarke, who now has 13 grandchildren, said: “My husband has missed out on so much, on all his grandchildren and everything.
“But sure they don’t care.

“Willie was in nothing. He wasn’t even an Orangeman.
“His crime was being a Protestant. When he died I was 26 years old and expecting our fourth child.”

At Mr Clarke’s funeral a Presbyterian minister said he was not a member of the RUC or the UDR, “nor was he in a paramilitary organisation or group, as some would have the world believe”.

At the time SDLP representative Paddy O’Hanlon also said: “He was murdered by the IRA because he was a Protestant as well as being a man who worked for a living.
“The perpetrators of this foul deed like their compatriots in the UVF would crucify Christ if he appeared in the north of Ireland this week and the leadership of the IRA would show no hesitation in supplying the nails.”

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2012-12-27, 6:01 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
You have to wonder with another story like this, the Kingsmills memorial being vandalised, the three scottish soldiers memorials being almost destroyed, a war memorial vandalised in Glenavy, a long with two attacks on local orange halls and an attack on the local Protestant church, a long with our Union flag being removed at City hall, can we ever hope to have piece in this Country with these evil scumbags?

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2012-12-27, 8:46 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
The hatred lies deep with them and even in supposedly peaceful times they won't let it rest They have 26 of the 32 counties on the island. Most people would be well contented with that and learn to live and let live,but not the evil ones they want everything and use everyway to obtain it.

But I noticed O'Hanlon at the time of this man's murder could not condemn the pira and leave it at that. No! any statement they have mades over the decades have always been equivocal statements. He hadn't the guts to say it as it was and lay the blame where it belonged,full stop.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2012-12-27, 9:26 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Load ...
Very true, the reality is while Prods want a quiet life the enemies of Ulster will never stop until they succeed in their objectives.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2012-12-27, 10:24 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
That about sums up the difference in the two peoples.

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2012-12-28, 2:37 AM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
Unfortunately it does, the enemy have their political convictions (regardless of how warped and twisted they may be) and cultural and political aspirations. In contrast most people on our side want an easy life, and rather than face reality will call those on our side who are dedicated to the cause as ‘bigots, political dinosaurs, thugs and whatever other buzz word is floating around at the time’, the same people on the more militant side of our community, will want a quick fix solution and demand an unrealistic objective when the enemies of Ulster succeed in eradicating another part of our identity and heritage the same people aren’t prepared to fight the long hard process of securing a future for our people they are only interested in banging a drum and complaining that the press doesn’t want to hear our side of the story or blaming our politicians.

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2012-12-29, 11:53 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
Its as you say and it seems like it will continue like that as there appears nobody or group with a worked out strategy.

SlappataigDate: Sunday, 2013-01-06, 2:41 PM | Message # 8
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
Truely sickening that the mentality and culture that got him murdered is the one in our media all the time in this country, and stuck in our government!

I wrote a post fitting in with what you were talking about here folks on pulse if anybody here is still on that site

http://www.pulseresources.org/forums....e2

by all means check it out and put in your input!

i do hate that place but go every so often to let out a rant or 2.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2013-01-07, 5:16 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Load ...
Slappa,I'm sure its been about 3 or 4 years since I've been on the Pulse site. No big fall out or anything like that,just got fed up with those that were taking an irish line. There were some good folk on it like Scatty Cat and another one or two,but most of the rest loved the irish stuff and as I said I decided it was time to move on.

Sooo I went to your link but it would mean me having to sign up again. Could you not copy and paste it on here?

SlappataigDate: Tuesday, 2013-01-08, 0:29 AM | Message # 10
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
wouldnt go on it very often myself as well, as i cant stand most on it!

Originally Posted by yosserbsfb
can anyone ever see the day when all factions within loyalism can unite...

we have that many factions within our people and always arguing/point scoring its getting worse nowadays

churches/ political parties/ football/bands/ flags/paramilitary groups/ you name it we will fight over it what will it take for us to unite ...i really do despair nowadays i always believed that a fellow loyalist who stood side by side was my comrade regardless of what grouping he came from what team he supported what colour he is what way he voted as long as they were loyalist and wanted to defend our rights....sadly im very much in the minority these days or i still believe in the old photograph of the farmer on his tractor and his wife standing guard with a shotgun in her hand....

THEN MY RESPONSE...

brilliant post, i feel exactly the same, however there is groupings of what i would call "true loyalists" left.

Small groups across the country made up of hardliners that see apathy and lundyism everywhere, from paid off "community leaders " conspiring against us, paramilitaries who for the sake of profit ruining loyalist villages/communities like the provos could have never done, to political parties comfortable in their suits and not much else, the greening of ulster population wise, the medias against us, modern liberal attitudes have everyone thinking that your "bitter" or "old fashioned" by standing up against this rising tide of demoralising hopelessness that we feel.

Which is brought on by the divisions everywhere you look at our culture. even this board, someone puts across a point and generally speaking, its shot down 5 different times in the next 5 replies, from different sections of loyalism.

We dont have a carson in this generation as its obvious if there was one he would be shot down, marginalised by the powers that be so not to rock the boat and would left looking daft. thats how bad its got. as well as our culture getting dilated with each passing day. sure ulster day was a great success and refreshing to see how wonderful it was, but theres a severe feeling off dread and doom lingering below, thanks to all that ive mentioned.

so as just an average prod, im sorry what some will see as a rant but ive no voice representing me anywhere (do the TUV even still exist or has the peoples attitudes to them marginilised them into obscurity?) and thought id write it here, hopefully to show a glint of light into some readers of similar opinions so that they dont think they are completely on their own.

"the 1st thing a true patriot will experience and learn to cope with his heartbreak, as he relises not everyone sees the world as he does."

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2013-01-08, 3:24 PM | Message # 11
Generalissimo
Load ...
Good post Slappa and thanks for posting it up to have a look at. I think with those words and sentiments you speak for a lot of folk. Of how they feel. What way we handle it is another matter,cause as you point out we are hopelessly divided and a house divided against itself cannot stand. But as you say we have to keep on battling.

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2013-01-08, 3:45 PM | Message # 12
Colonel general
Load ...
Well said slappa, we all know that this recent trouble with the Union flag in Belfast were Sinn Fein/IRA managed to have the flag removed. Will the paramilitary godfathers who are earning thousands break of their schemes of making thousands a pounds with the IRA in various EU funded projects are will they continue to meet their IRA comrades? I think we know the answer, and are these men loyalists?, regardless of what they may have or not in the past, in my opinion they most certainly aren't!

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2013-01-09, 11:12 AM | Message # 13
Generalissimo
Load ...
True RSAUB. Its the old thing of ''pulling rank''like ''I did time for my country...what did you do''?. Of course whether they did it for their country is a moot point. Think some didn't mind gettin banged up so they could take that attitude. Of course I know all don't fall into that category. Some were genuine patriots and I salute them.

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2013-01-15, 2:56 PM | Message # 14
Colonel general
Load ...
Yes, there is no doubt about it, these men are pulling rank and using their positions of influence to keep their own men and others within our community quiet about some of their activities, what happened recently with the IRA memorial to the traitor in East Belfast is a classic example.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Because He Was A Protestant
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: