• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Our Own National Song
Our Own National Song
CulzieDate: Friday, 2008-08-22, 3:26 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Reading this in the N.L. today Basil McCrea certainly thinks so. All the other three countries have thir own song. Why not Ulster? Perhaps we,more than the other three should have one.....yet we haven't.

Anthem row sticks in throat

NORTHERN Ireland's football anthem is in the spotlight after it was booed by the Tartan Army.
As is their tradition, the Northern Ireland players – backed by 6,000 travelling fans – stood before the game on Wednesday night for God Save the Queen, which was roundly booed by the home crowd.

Last night, the Scottish Football Association apologised and the Scottish government condemned the booing.

The Green and White army were also derided and jeered at when they tried to cheer the team on by singing the national anthem and Rule Britannia.

But the affair has reignited the debate about the use of the national anthem, with one Ulster Unionist MLA wondering whether it was time for Northern Ireland to claim a national song of its own.

Scotland fans claim The Flower of Scotland as their anthem, while Wales fans have Land of my Fathers.

Ulster Unionist Basil McCrea said it was "disappointing" that Scottish fans felt they needed to boo the national anthem, but said it was a "good idea" for Northern Ireland to claim an anthem of its own.

"Not to take away from the national anthem, but I think Northern Ireland could do with something else," he said.

"I think it would unite the country, something everyone could get behind, no matter their differences.

"The trick is getting something that everyone would be happy with. It could raise more problems, but I think it would be a positive thing on the whole."

He pointed to how England supporters get confused when they hear Northern Ireland fans singing the national anthem and waving a flag very similar to their own.

"My view – and this could be dangerous ground – but the people of Northern Ireland, from whatever tradition, are a race apart, they are different from our friends and colleagues in the rest of Ireland, Scotland and England."

He said a new anthem would be a good way "to bring us together".

But this view was strongly opposed by the DUP's Jim Shannon, who said: "We have our own national anthem, and it's God Save the Queen."

The football fan, who has taken his sons to see Northern Ireland play since they were boys, said it was "disappointing" to hear the jeers on Wednesday night, but suggested such fans might have been Celtic supporters, and "maybe feel more affinity with a different country".

He said sports fans should always respect another country's national anthem, but added: "I don't feel it's time for a change. I don't think there's any wish for that to happen yet, and I don't think there's any demand for that. It's not driven by any group of supporters to change. Nobody has said to me, 'let's change the national anthem'."

He said he felt "pride in my heart" when he listened to God Save the Queen being played when British athletes received their gold medal at the Olympic Games over the past two weeks.

"It represents the GB team, and the national anthem represents me."
The Scottish Football Association issued a statement which said: "The SFA is obviously disappointed that a minority of our fans chose not to respect the visitors' national anthem.

"The Tartan army have a richly-deserved reputation as fantastic ambassadors for their country.

"We do not condone this kind of behaviour."

FIFA confirmed they had received "no official information" regarding booing at the game. But the world game's governing body did appeal to all football fans to respect national anthems.

A UEFA spokesman said that the game was outside their jurisdiction but added: "We ran a successful campaign during the European Championships to get fans to respect their opponents' national anthems."

A spokesperson for the Scottish government said: "It is unfortunate that the actions of some supporters have tarnished the outstanding reputation of the Tartan army."

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2008-08-28, 4:06 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Load ...
I see a new N.I supporters song has been written by a Presbyterian minister. Its overdue I think.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

SlappataigDate: Thursday, 2008-08-28, 10:18 PM | Message # 3
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
i detest everything about the ifa

CulzieDate: Friday, 2008-08-29, 12:59 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
I'm not to happy with them myself. But at least they are not part of an all-ireland set-up Unlike rugby and the rest.

This is the song. Not given the full treatment,but it will give an idea of what it will be like.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/3425....9015.jp

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2008-09-02, 11:13 PM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
I would love something like Rule Britannia to be the National Anthem of all of the United Kingdom, GSTQ just doesn't do it for me. I wouldn't like Northern Ireland to have it's own sporting National Anthem, as at the present time the social engineers would have it as 'Irish' as possible to help with their 'Irishisation of Ulster'.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2008-09-03, 5:33 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Load ...
I dont see it like that RSAUB. I think it helps set out as distinct and separate. Like the Africaners have their own song. Rhodesia,Scotland,England,Wales and a host of others. It is something we have lacked though our whole existence. I think the irish nationalist/republicans are very aware of this and would be against anything which sets us out as separate......gives us a separate identity.

This below is from the N.L. There are those who are against Ulster having its own 'regional' song. GSTQ is the national anthem.....I'm all for that. But Scotland,England and Wales have had 'regional anthems' for years. Even back before devolution and the emergence of 'regionalism'. So for heaven's sake Ulster, screw the nut and catch up. And it annoys the irish nationalists/republicans as well, just to think of us having a 'national song'

From the N.L.

By: Rebel on August 28, 2008
at 8:32 pm
“Garbage” comes to mind while I listened to the tripe. The six occupied counties of Ireland we all know were never a country and need no anthem of their own.

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2008-09-03, 6:16 PM | Message # 7
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
I agree with what your saying, however I believe that if a new anthem is created the social engineers will have it as Irish as possible, very few words in it relating to Ulster or even Northern Ireland but plenty relating to Ireland and Irish, I just can't see anything being written and allowed to be used that is pro-Ulster and the Unionist cause.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2008-09-03, 7:27 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Load ...
Quote (RSAUB)
I agree with what your saying, however I believe that if a new anthem is created the social engineers will have it as Irish as possible, very few words in it relating to Ulster or even Northern Ireland but plenty relating to Ireland and Irish, I just can't see anything being written and allowed to be used that is pro-Ulster and the Unionist cause.

I can see what your getting at. I still think on balance though its something we should be going for. I'm thinking we have to see ourselves as a country,with as much right to be here as the irish. This is a big question that the loyal Ullish people have to ask themselves.

Do they see themselves still as colonists [as I think many do] holding the fort for the mother country,or as a people in their own right. I think this is the 64,000 dollar question that Ullish folk face. It sets the whole of what Adams and the shinners preach in a different light. They have said on numerous ocassions that Britain is the problem here. If Britain would withdraw that problem would be solved. Bearing in mind what happened in Eire after British withdrawal. ...the Protestant population dropped dramatically. As a guy said to me years ago ''if Britian's not here,then I'm not here''.

Lets hope Britain never withdraws,that we are never faced with that scenario. But in the meantime I think we should establish ourselves as a people in our own right with a claim to our own land. This can be done by having our own song for a starter. We need something that sets us out as different. Before 'Flower of Scotland' Scotland had its own song...'Scotland The Brave' as had England and Wales. So its nothing new. What is working for Scotland [and I'm against it there] could work to Ulster's advancement on this island. Giving us that distinction. If or when the UK was to break-up we could say ''oh hold on there...we are a separate country,we are not going into Eire. I think it is something that is imperative if we want to survive as a people. But on the other hand if we are colonists.....then the shinners are right. Get rid of the British presence and everything will fall into place. In other words people won't fight for a place they have no bond with or loyalty to. They will pull out as thousands of settlers did all over Africa etc. I think they called it 'taking the yellow trail'

I don't know if you've seen the words of the song. But my only beef with it, is the use of N.I. and not Ulster. But then the team is called N.I so its understandable. I think it should be used at the Commonwealth Games also. GSTQ is only played at the opening and closing [i think] . Each of the Home countries and the rest have their own anthems. So again....why not us? That Danny Boy song,the words are dodgy and it mentions saying an 'Ave' in it. Its words were written by an Englishman. However, the words of 'These Are The Days' were written by an Ulsterman from East Belfast.

I really think we should go for it. But I can't see the Ullish folk having the vision. ''Where There Is No Vision The People Perish''

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2008-09-03, 7:42 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Load ...
Here are the words. I would use lochside maybe. But overall its something that is long overdue.

These Are The Days (Tune: Londonderry Air second half of tune repeated)

These are the days that summon us to glory,
The dawn of hope that conquers pain and grief;
As from the ashes of the past we're rising,
Inspired by pride, by passion and belief.
From Antrim's Glens, to Lakeside of Fermanagh,
From Derry's walls, to Strangford waters blue;
From streets of Belfast to the Giant's Causeway,
Sweet Northern Ireland we will boldly stand for you.

And we shall rise above the noise of battle,
One nation strong, one people proud and true;
Sweet Northern Ireland, home of all we cherish,
Here we shall live, and die, and pledge our hearts to you.

©David Montgomery 2008

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Ulster news » Our Own National Song
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: