• »
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: History ::.. » General history discussion » 1641 Massacres Online
1641 Massacres Online
CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2010-11-02, 5:23 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
The first number I can remember reading for those slain in the massacres was 35,000. Then Robert Kee in his book said 12,000. On morning TV a schools programe gave the number as 2,000. At this rate in another lot of years it will not have happened at all rolleyes

It will be interesting to see what these professors make of the depositions given by the victims at the time,or should I say what they decide to tell us. whistling

Accounts shine light on massacre of 1641

Published Date: 01 November 2010

THE mystery surrouding one of Ireland's most controversial periods of history is set to be untangled in what has been termed the world's oldest public inquiries.
Depictions of events of 1641 often adorn the banners of Orange lodges
but the events have always been murky with reports of the numbers
of Protestants killed by republicans ranging from 12,000 right up to

The violence was widespread throughout Ireland with Protestant planters robbed, forced from their homes and, in some cases, murdered.

But now for the frst time the accounts of what really happened are available online after academics spent three years painstakingly transcribing 19,000 pages of depositions from people who took part in all sides of the rising.

And, like most inquiries, the team behind the project is very diverse led by the universities of Cambridge and Aberdeen as well as Trinity College, Dublin.

Trinity have described the rising as "one of the least understood
massacres in European history, in which many thousands of men, women and children lost their lives".

The depositions make brutal readings at times with witness accounts of savage mass murder.

One example examines the story of Eleanor Price, a widow and mother
of six from Co Armagh, who was imprisoned by insurgents before five
of her children were drowned, along with other settlers, in the River Bann at Portadown Bridge.

The account describes how the rebels "then and there instantly and
most barbarously drowned the most of them: And those that could swim
and come to the shore they either knocked them in the hands and so after drowned them, or else shot them to death in the water".

The uprising by Irish Catholics in October 1641 followed decades of tension between settlers and the native Irish.

Professor John Morrill, from the University of Cambridge, one of the
project's principal investigators and chair of the management committee, said the events of 1641 transformed Irish history.

"GK Chesterton once wrote that the problem with the English conquest of
Ireland is that the Irish cannot forget it and the English cannot remember it," he said.

"Now, for the frst time, the Irish will be able to read about what
happened in full and the English will have complete access to an
episode that they have frequently overlooked."

The next stage of the project will be analysing the depositions, it is set to start next March and last for a year and will examine the reliability of the depositions.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2010-11-02, 5:40 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
This should be interesting. They are very quick to remember the actions of Cromwell at Wexford etc, but the genocide of Protestants was just a myth, never really happened that's forget about it and move on.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2010-11-02, 9:29 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Reminds me of one time in work and one of the 'usual suspects' was sounding off about Cromwell. I said to him ''mate does your history only start with Cromwell,what happened in 1641.. what about that'' He didn't reply.

But what annoyed me a bit was that there were others standing about letting him away with it. He later came out with similar remarks and I didn't bother. You get fed up with our people who have a couldnt care less attitude.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2010-11-05, 10:47 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Load ...
Aye I see it all the time on nights out all the time, you hear they come out with their rebel rubbish and songs, when you stand up to them they soon back down or run away. But i've seen a lot a prods who rather than stand their ground either walk away from the taigs when their shouting their crap, either at the end of the night or in the smoke areas etc or even shake hands with the bastards. It would sicken ya.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2010-11-08, 7:50 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
I always felt that there were people about like that even when the 'troubles' were at there height but kept a low profile waiting until their chance came to crawl out of the woodwork. Trevor Ringland fits into that category. There he was tonight addressing the GAA . When you add him to Tait,Blood and the others it reminds us that Lundy is still alive and kicking in the ranks of Protestantism

Think at times I have more respect for the other sort,than for the ass-lickers among our own. angry

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2010-11-09, 8:46 PM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
Aye, there is nothing worse than a traitor. They deserve to be swinging from the gallows for treason to their people.

SlappataigDate: Tuesday, 2010-11-16, 10:03 PM | Message # 7
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
Quote (Culzie)
Think at times I have more respect for the other sort,than for the ass-lickers among our own. angry
same here im afraid - i think about that often

CulzieDate: Friday, 2010-11-19, 10:18 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Load ...
You can't help but think it Slappa,anybody with a bit of wit and an eye to see can tell the difference. Though have to add our bloody goverment and politicans don't do anything which would inspire the Protestant people....but theirs do

They look after their own. Thats why the Markets lower Ormeau,Short Strand are not only holding ground but are expanding. We on the other hand.....well you know.

jacklinalbertDate: Friday, 2022-03-18, 2:21 PM | Message # 9
Private
Group: Users
Load ...
According to ghost editor they carried out a series of atrocities in the area, the most heinous of which being the Waterloo Creek massacre. Five white males were slain, but Major Nunn shot between 120 and 300 Aboriginal people from the Kamilaroi nation, making it Australia's greatest single massacre.

Ella_ElizabethDate: Friday, 2022-08-12, 2:18 PM | Message # 10
Private
Load ...
Cycling is a cardiovascular aerobic activity that has additional advantages like strengthening your heart, in line with Cardio Exercise bikes lungs, and muscles, according to Rowe-Ham. "Exercise bikes are wonderful for weight loss because they are a really efficient and effective way to burn calories," she adds.

Ella_ElizabethDate: Thursday, 2022-08-18, 2:44 PM | Message # 11
Private
Load ...
As stated by Best Novels Historical Fiction William Golding's The Inheritors is unquestionably the most amazing historical ventriloquism ever. Golding authored a number of historical books, such as the outstanding "The Spire," but this one is presented from the perspective of creatures that few authors would dare to conjure: the Neanderthals.William Golding's The Inheritors is unquestionably the most amazing historical ventriloquism ever. Golding authored a number of historical books, such as the outstanding "The Spire," but this one is presented from the perspective of creatures that few authors would dare to conjure: the Neanderthals.

portaitheapDate: Wednesday, 2023-03-15, 4:30 PM | Message # 12
Private
Load ...
Why Small Businesses need VoIP juice box solar

triflingpettyDate: Monday, 2023-07-17, 6:49 AM | Message # 13
Private
Load ...
This ought to be intriguing. They are ready to recall Cromwell's deeds at Wexford and other places, but since the Protestant genocide was a fable and didn't actually occur, they should forget about it and go on.
 happy wheels

lawrencejonishDate: Tuesday, 2023-07-25, 10:18 AM | Message # 14
Private
Load ...
It's fascinating to see how academics have transcribed 19,000 pages of depositions from all sides of the rising in 1641, shedding light on a least understood massacre in European history. "Non-Pharmacological Pain Management Approache" can be so effective, they might even ease the pain of untangling controversial historical mysteries! The brutality described in the witness accounts is heart-wrenching.

lawrencejonishDate: Thursday, 2023-09-28, 8:22 AM | Message # 15
Private
Load ...
Exploring the harrowing topic of Massacres Online was eye-opening. It's a stark reminder of the dark side of the internet. I recently had to complete a challenging flowchart assignment, and it's crucial to maintain ethical online spaces amidst such content. Let's hope for a safer digital world.

Forum » ..:: History ::.. » General history discussion » 1641 Massacres Online
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: