Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: Culture ::.. » Loyalist Music » Help with the name of a song
Help with the name of a song
Curious_OutsiderDate: Wednesday, 2012-11-28, 12:56 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
Load ...
I hope someone on here can help me.

I am currently conducting an anthropological/historical study of songs surrounding WW1 from Ireland (North and South) as part of a PhD, and am having trouble tracking down a song that I once heard on a loyalist music website which appears to have now been shut down.

The song opened with something to the effect of,

"I walked towards the old Town Hall,
Crowd of my mates by my side,
Join up the Ulster Division,
I knew I was young, but I lied."

Other parts of the song as far as I recall included,

"We'd walk hand in hand through old Belfast,
through he streets that I love, Sandy Row.
But I know that it will never happen,
for tomorrow to battle I go"

and

"So I'll fight and I'll die for old Ulster,
For England, and the red, white and blue.
I will die for our leader Lord Carson,
YCV are all loyal to you."

If anyone has any idea as to the name of the song, and where I might get hold of a copy I'd be much obliged. I have tried googling the lyrics but so far have turned up a blank.

Many thanks.

Message edited by Curious_Outsider - Wednesday, 2012-11-28, 12:56 PM

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2012-11-29, 3:53 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
C_O I think I have heard this somewhere and I'm thinking I know the fella that sings it. Give me a bit of time and I'll see what I can find out.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

Curious_OutsiderDate: Thursday, 2012-11-29, 4:26 PM | Message # 3
Private
Group: Users
Load ...
Quote (Culzie)
C_O I think I have heard this somewhere and I'm thinking I know the fella that sings it. Give me a bit of time and I'll see what I can find out.

Much obliged, thanks Culzie. The song played in the background on a website called loyalistmusic.co.uk although this has since been closed down.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2012-11-29, 6:38 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
C_O. The fella I'm thinking off plays round the Clubs and I'm almost certain it was him who wrote this song. I was listening to him on Saturday night passed at a local Club. Its a pity your asking didn't come a week earlier biggrin But I'm hoping to be there this Saturday night and will ask when hes due back again and find out from him then.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Friday, 2012-11-30, 2:34 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Hi C_O. Was sittin thinkin this morning about the song and I started thinkin ''I might have that on a CD'' So went hunting through all the CDs and I found it,so if you want I can make a copy and sent it on to you or you could pick it up at the Club tomorrow night. Whatever suits. PM me if you like.

Forum » ..:: Culture ::.. » Loyalist Music » Help with the name of a song
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: