• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: History ::.. » History of the ulster scots » Townies Not Welcome
Townies Not Welcome
CulzieDate: Sunday, 2010-12-05, 5:52 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
I have had a feeling for some time now that those who wern't born and residing in Ulster Scots areas were cold-shouldered or treated with indifference. If you wern't from these areas what are you doing with an interest in Ulster Scots. I think it smacks of elitism or maybe even arrogrance. But then maybe I've got it wrong.

Saturday, November 06, 2010

"Home-grown" versus "book-learnt"
For all of the opinions and perspectives within the Ulster-Scots world, and about the Ulster-Scots world, they tend to fall into two brackets. These are:

1. From people who grew up within, and are still part of, a local Ulster-Scots community* (home-grown).

2. From people whose only concepts of Ulster-Scots have come from things they've read (book-learnt).

You can usually work out which category somebody falls into within about 5 minutes of conversation with them. The paradox is that people in category 1 have knowledge, empathy and a lifetime of personal experience - but they tend to be quiet folk. People in category 2 usually know next to nothing - but have plenty to say. Of course there are vultures within each category, and good folk within each category. Everybody has something to learn... but not everybody has something useful to offer.

There are plenty of examples of Ulster-Scots being analysed, dissected and exploited by the "experts" of category 2, but precious few examples of the "experts" who have grown up within category 1** - or even of "experts" who recognise the deep importance of spending time with the people of category 1. I suppose living in libraries or staying stuck behind a keyboard is far handier than actually working alongside the "great unwashed". Ulster-Scots is not just fodder for media studies, it is a deep well for respectful folklife studies, and, if properly handled, has the potential to help our society. How? By restoring the true cultural triple-blend of Ulster-English, Ulster-Irish and Ulster-Scots - rather than the political two tribes enmity of British v Irish.

Knowledge is not the same as empathy. Theory is not as valuable as experience. Qualifications are not more important than understanding. So, give me home-grown every time. Book-learnt is a very poor substitute.

BBC and the Broadcasting Fund
A few weeks ago I was invited to take part in a BBC panel discussion which was held this morning; we did our best to give them an overview of everything Ulster-Scots from daily vocabulary and historic language literature, to general history and cultural stuff. There were about 40 programme makers in the audience, and they spent much of their time asking us questions - so I asked them a few in return. One of these was "How many of you were reared in rural Ulster - now, reared, not moved out to the country when you made enough money". Only 4 or 5 raised their hands. That lack of natural home-grown cultural understanding within the media, and indeed within the decision makers of Northern Ireland, is a huge part of the future challenge for Ulster-Scots. Projects which are being funded, and managed, by people who don't really "get it" are particularly risky and vulnerable. I threw in a few slightly mischievous comments as well, it'll be interesting to see if these surface elsewhere in coming weeks.

Posted by Mark Thompson at Thursday, December 02, 2010

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2010-12-12, 0:32 AM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
The thing these people miss, is that the people came from the Country to Belfast.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2010-12-15, 7:30 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Thats what I said RSAUB in the interview I did with the Aussie on the wee CD I made. Something along the lines of ''some people say that Ulster Scots is only for country folk but our people were all country folk at one time who came to Belfast''

Have to say, to be honest about it, that some townies have that attitude too....thats its only for country people. I have also heard that said by townies about the News Letter as well.

I remember at the start they had Ulster Scots nights in the Great Eastern on the Newtownards Rd and various Community Centres in the estates. Now it seems to be mostly middle-class,church-going people running it.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2013-02-10, 8:48 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
Here we are in 2013 and the attitude doesn't seemed to have changed. In fact it might even be seen as more severe. Is the phrase 'cultural snob' in order or 'inverted snob' maybe. I don't know, but it does seem that the cold shoulder is being shown in this article.

An idyllic photo of hard work outside an old Ulster farmstead that was taken across the Atlantic to Virginia. I visited it 15 years ago on honeymoon.

It is one of my favourite images and I am posting it here as over the past few days I have been thinking about the enormous social mis-fit there is here in Northern Ireland. It is not the 'two tribes' stereotype. It is the gulf between city people and country folk. It is vast.

The NI media and the majority of NI institutions are dominated by city-minded people. In cultural terms there is a version of Ulster-Scots heritage in the cities - but the authentic and natural form is to be found in the country areas. In landscapes not streets. City issues do not automatically apply to the country; city 'chips on the shoulder' are sometimes irrelevant in the country. City fights should not be assumed to exist in the country.

I have been spending a bit of time over recent months with some city-dwellers who are getting to grips with Ulster-Scots history for probably the first time ever. I think their self-confessed scepticism is starting to melt a wee bit. And fair play to them for being open-minded. But every now and again their urban mindset seems to struggle with things that country folk find natural.

Yes, Scotland is just over the water and we can see it every clear day. Yes, there are lots of folk out here who still use those words. And yes, we do try to get on with our neighbours even if their politics and religion are different than our own - we'll maybe bump into them next week in the shop, or down at the shore, or at the builders suppliers. And our grandparents probably knew their grandparents. And maybe even after all of that, they are our neighbours first and 'different' second.

As a local man once said to me '... d'ye know who it is that causes all the bother roon here? A'll tell ye - oul Bilfast yins...'. Life in much of rural Ulster is far from perfect, but it is not as polarised as in the city.

I know some lovely folk from Belfast, so the observation certainly doesn't apply to everybody. But, the next time you hear people arguing on our radio and tv channels, ask yourself if they are city-minded people. They probably are.

M.T. 7, February, 2013

Forum » ..:: History ::.. » History of the ulster scots » Townies Not Welcome
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: