Friday, 2024-03-29, 1:59 AM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: History ::.. » History of the ulster scots » To Ulsters Credit by Sam Allen
To Ulsters Credit by Sam Allen
BillstickerDate: Friday, 2012-04-13, 0:45 AM | Message # 1
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
http://kuborange.wordpress.com/

URL above To Ulsters Credit by Sam Allen a history of the Ulster Scots

An Ulster Scots Journey

This blog is dedicated to those Ulster Scottish pioneers who upon leaving their homeland of Ulster in the 17th century made the hazardous journey across an ocean to start a new life and in doing so helped lay the foundations and place an indelible mark on what was to become the greatest nation on earth, namely the United States of America

CulzieDate: Friday, 2012-04-13, 1:38 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Its a good read and thanks is due to whoever put it on the net.Dedicated people like that deserve our support. I especially think this part is so true. WF Marshall called it 'the loophole' and added ''one which the irish were not slow to exploit''...

It is a great pity the term used had not more correctly been used “Ulster Scots” as it would surely have been more accurate and would have prevented in latter times, the Southern Irish and the so-called Irish-Americans from falsely claiming outstanding Ulster Scottish achievements in America to their advantage.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

BillstickerDate: Saturday, 2012-04-14, 1:23 AM | Message # 3
Lieutenant colonel
Load ...
It's my blog thanks for the praise. I have added some items to the original text like the part about General Lee being given work by Ulster Scots after the civil war which blossomed into the Eton of thre South

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2012-04-14, 1:34 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
I didn't know that mate. Well done. I'll have to look though it again and see that part about Gen Lee. They have Gen Lee as being from Ulster on the mural in North Belfast but I think (from what I've read) that he was of English stock.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

BillstickerDate: Sunday, 2012-04-15, 10:38 PM | Message # 5
Lieutenant colonel
Load ...
I didn't know that mate. Well done. I'll have to look though it again and see that part about Gen Lee.

http://kuborange.wordpress.com/their-heritage-from-john-knox-ch8/
On the afternoon of August 4th 1865 the trustees of Washington College – a small impoverished Presbyterian school in Lexington Virginia met to determinne how they could save their school. Founded as already mentioned, Liberty Hall Academy in 1749 it had become by 1796 Washington College in honor of the general. Most of its students and teachers had long since left to fight in the war in 1861, many of them joining the famous Stonewall Brigade. Along with the town of Lexington, the school had suffered severely from the occupation by federal troops in1864. The buildings had been badly damaged; the library and laboratory had been destroyed. The school was for all practical purposes, bankrupt. In spite of all this, the trustees -all staunch Ulster Scots Presbyterians were undaunted in the slightest. The need was greater than ever and thus God, they believed, would make a way. A primary purpose for this meeting of the trustees was to ‘choose a new president. Several individuals had been nominated and the vote was about to be taken, when one of the men mentioned a bit of news he had heard from a friend of the Lee family. It seems that a young woman, while visiting ,with the Lees, had been told by Mary Lee, daughter of the General that although the South stood ready to give General Lee anything he needed.

What he really needed was a job by which he could earn a living to provide for his family. The thought struck all present as most providential, and in a few minutes Robert E. Lee had been unanimously elected president of Washington College. The trustees’ elation over this decision lasted only momentarily, as the full realisation of what they had done struck them. They had elected the most prominent man in the South-without his knowledge -to the presidency of a college which had no prestige (It was hardly known outside the Shenendoah Valley no money, practically no student body, and hardly any ,usable buildings. The sheer temerity of it all was positively breathtaking. Ah but blood will tell. After a brief moment of solemnity and prayer, all agreed that what was done was done and, after all, nothing ventured nothing gained. They determined to press on. A letter of invitation containing the proposed terms of the call as drafted, and a member of the board was chosen to take the invitation personally to General Lee. Judge John W Brockenbrough was appointed for the task, but there was a problem: Judge Brockenbrough had nothing suitable to wear for the visit. His one suit was threadbare and utterly inappropriate for a meeting with General Lee. Furthermore he had no money with which to make the trip.

Minor problems to the Ulster Scots! One of the men loaned the judge a suit and another borrowed fifty dollars from a woman in Lexington who had recently sold some tobacco from her farm. That fifty dollars-in brand new United States green backs-was the only cash at the disposal of Washington College, and it was all designated to the cause of obtaining the consent of the new president-elect. So it was that Judge Brockenbrough arrived unannounced in mid-August, 1865, at the tenant house in which Robert E. Lee was staying. Lee had never met Judge Brockenbrough before, but he listened to his proposal respectfully. Although the terms were modest, considering the condition of the college, they were actually quite ambitious. A salary was proposed at $1500 per year (money which the college did not have but hoped to raise), plus one-fifth of the student fees (assuming the students who came could afford to pay), and a house and garden (which, thankfully, did exist and in need of only a few minor repairs).

Lee was left to consider the matter. It was evident that the college was in a low condition and that accepting this offer would place him in a situation that would involve many of those things to which he had the greatest aversion: paperwork, meetings, fund raising, public speaking, and correspondence. Yet, it was work; a work such as he had been seeking; a work that could be of great service to the people of Virginia and the South; a work that provided an opportunity.

BillstickerDate: Sunday, 2012-04-15, 10:46 PM | Message # 6
Lieutenant colonel
Load ...
TWO MORE QUOTES FROM MY BLOG:-

In several of the engagements, he was opposing two master strategists, generals Lee who had his own share of critical newsopaper editors to contend with. In a conversation with a Senator Hill, Lee replied much to the shock at first of the senator, “We made a great mistake, Mr. Hill in the beginning of our struggle, and I fear in spite of all we can do, it will prove to be a fatal mistake. The clearly shaken senator asked “What mistake General?” to which Lee replied “Why Sir, in the beginning we appointed all our worst generals to command our armies and all our best generals to edit our newspapers!

After the war during a ride in the country on his trusty steed Traveller, Lee remarked to a friend, “If I had had Stonewall Jackson at Gettysburg we should have won a great victory.” As it was Gettysburg eventually would prove to be the Confederacies Waterloo.

BillstickerDate: Sunday, 2012-04-15, 11:39 PM | Message # 7
Lieutenant colonel
Load ...
http://kuborange.wordpress.com/collate....d-ch-18

Lt Col Blair (Paddy) Mayne

Incidentally we made our second landing (from an assualt craft called ‘The Ulster Monarch) on the Twelfth. (The 12th of July is the Orangemans day in Ulster when a celebration of the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 is commemmerated with parades) All we needed was some drums and banners and we would have felt right at home. The attack was on Agusta. I wonder if you heard anything about it on the wireless or in the papers. Probably didn’t – we never had much publicity

The Colonel had one job which he knew would provide his corporal with a much-needed distraction. He asked him to go into the town of Chelmsford and pick up a vehicle from a signwriter’s premises. When Hull arrived at the shop he was led to a yard at the rear. To his astonishment,Hull found a jeep with the bonnet decorated with an Ulster flag, ringed with shamrock. decorated jeep, and drove straight through to Germany without stopping, his signals corporal was David Danger, who recalls: “He directed me to fix a public address system to his staff car with the aim of broadcasting rude words to the retreating Germans. We also fitted his gramophone to the back of the jeep, and all the way up through Holland we played John MacCormack, greatly to the astonishment of the convoys.

” Blairs brother also recalled a time when they were boys their father used to have a shed at their home in Mountpleasant Newtownards for hanging animal carcasses. On occasions this attracted rats. The two boys and their father would then open the shed chasing them out of it whereupon they shot them with rifles.

The rifles were a story in themselves as they were the remnants of those smuggled into Ulster during the ‘Home Rule’ crisis of 1912 aboard the ship the Clyde Valley. These arms were destined for the then Ulster Volunteer Force the men Lord Edward Carson had formed into a private army to fight against imposition of Irish Home Rule upon Ulster and one of whose members had been Blair Maynes father.

Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery

“I ruffled people’s feelings, Alex smoothed them.” A typical response from Monty upon being put in command of the Eighth Army in August 1942 read

Monty upon being put in command of the Eighth Army in August 1942 read:-

“…..I then cancelled orders about a further withdrawal. I issued orders that if Rommel attacked, we would fight him on ground where we stood: There would be no withdrawal and NO SURRENDER!” (Titled ‘Situation in August 1942.’)

Message edited by Billsticker - Sunday, 2012-04-15, 11:46 PM

CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-04-16, 4:32 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Load ...
Good read there Billsticker. I sorta knew that Gen Lee was involved with some college when he retired. But that was it,I didn't know the name of it etc. I have a DVD 'Warriors of Honor' which is about Lee and Jackson. It might have been on that,that it mentioned the college. Its a good while back when I last watched it.

Thanks for the other info re Blair Mayne and Monty.

BillstickerDate: Tuesday, 2012-04-17, 8:46 PM | Message # 9
Lieutenant colonel
Load ...
Good read there Billsticker. I sorta knew that Gen Lee was involved with some college

It became the Washington Lee University and below is their own history page

Washington Lee University

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2012-04-17, 10:18 PM | Message # 10
Generalissimo
Load ...
I see Billsticker that they gave the Scotch-Irish a mention as founders. Good to see it,though as To Ulster's Credit mentions its a pity the name wasn't Ulster-Scots. But at least it does make the difference between them and the others.

BillstickerDate: Wednesday, 2012-04-18, 7:23 PM | Message # 11
Lieutenant colonel
Load ...
Scotch-Irish will no longer be included in official US census figures- POLL
Shock move by Census Bureau as new Irish American figures announced
By
BERNIE MALONE,
IrishCentral Staff Writer
Published Friday, January 6, 2012, 7:32 AM
Updated Friday, January 6, 2012, 12:22 PM

Scotch-Irish will no longer be included in official US census figures
Photo by elizabethcelticfestival.com
Almost 35 million people currently living in the US claim Irish ancestry, according to the just released figures from the Census Bureau’s annual American Community Survey for 2010.

But in a controversial move the figures for the numbers of Scotch-Irish are no longer available. The Census Bureau has announced the change.

In a statement they said “While the ancestry tables will all look the same, the interpretation of the"Scotch-Irish" and "Other groups" estimates will change. ….Individuals reporting Irish-Scotch are no longer tabulated as "Scotch-Irish" but rather are included in the "Other groups" category.”

That information could well upset the millions of Americans who are of Scotch-Irish heritage which will no longer now be acknowledged as a separate heritage.

US Senator Jim Webb of Virginia has been an outspoken advocate of the Scotch-Irish and wrote a best selling book called "Born Fighting” about them.

Among the most famous Scotch-Irish are Andrew Jackson, Davy Crockett and President Chester Arthur.

Much of the appeal for Northern Ireland tourism efforts to woo American tourists has been aimed at the Scotch-Irish, primaily in the south. Now it will be far moredifficult to locate them.
The latest figures show a total of 34,669,616 people residing in the US claim Irish ancestry. Massachusetts continues to have the highest concentration of Irish, with almost one-in-four claiming Irish ancestry.

Hawaii has the lowest percentage, with less than one-in-twenty residents claiming Irish roots.

The data shows that the Irish are the fourth largest ethnic group in the US in 2010, representing a 11.21 percent of the population.

According to the census, persons of Irish ancestry live in all 50 states. A total of 11 states have more than one million persons of Irish or Scotch-Irish ancestry.

The Florida Irish Heritage Centre reports that Florida has the fifth largest population of Irish or Scotch-Irish ancestry (2,068,006).

Message edited by Billsticker - Wednesday, 2012-04-18, 7:25 PM

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2012-04-19, 4:23 PM | Message # 12
Generalissimo
Load ...
On two ocassions within a ten/fifteen year gap I read in the local press of people from Ulster visiting the Alamo and noticing that there was no Ulster flag among those on display. The first person told how he questioned this with those who ran the site. Being told that they didn't have an Ulster flag he promised to sent them one. However, years later the same think happened with another person from Ulster and he was told that Ulster was represented in the Union flag which was on display. But so too were Scotland and England,yet they had their own flags on display also. It seems that those in authority do not want to recognise Ulster people as being separate. All the more reason why we should keep pushing them.

BillstickerDate: Friday, 2012-04-20, 7:36 PM | Message # 13
Lieutenant colonel
Load ...
I remember visiting Disney in Florida at the Epcot exhibtions and I was able to buy a baseball cap with a huge Ulster flag emblazoned on the front along with an American car number plate with the same. They had a whole variety of stuff from car leather fobs with Ulster flags. Don't know if it's still doing this line today or not.

They had English Welsh and Scottish merchandise with the same appropriate designs for each region.

Message edited by Billsticker - Friday, 2012-04-20, 7:38 PM

BillstickerDate: Wednesday, 2012-04-25, 0:54 AM | Message # 14
Lieutenant colonel
Load ...
A Pic of the metal USA number plate I was able to buy in Disney Epcot in Florida four years ago I was able to also purchase a similar lapel badge which I wear on my collarette

Message edited by Billsticker - Wednesday, 2012-04-25, 0:56 AM

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2012-05-16, 5:38 PM | Message # 15
Generalissimo
Load ...
Good to hear that Billsticker. It is music to my ears biggrin Up to a point I don't blame those in far off climes not promoting Ulster. For heaven's sake our own people here can't even do that.

Good to see the pictures too. We need more of that. I think our people have to ask themselves....are we people of Ulster with a legitmate right to be here or are we still colonists?

Forum » ..:: History ::.. » History of the ulster scots » To Ulsters Credit by Sam Allen
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: