Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: Sports ::.. » Other sports » The Belfast Spider
The Belfast Spider
CulzieDate: Thursday, 2009-06-11, 7:15 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Ulster's Own

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

timmyDate: Sunday, 2009-06-21, 6:33 PM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Users
Load ...
never heard of him.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2009-06-22, 10:04 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Timmy I'll get back to you. The greatest fighter ever to come out of this island and maybe in the British Isles. A wee bit before our time,but nevertheless....the best I would say.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2009-09-06, 9:55 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
I see they have Ali in Eire and giving him the freedom of the town where is great great great etc granny is supposed to have come from. Yet 'our Jimmy' is hardly given any recognition. I have written letters to both the N.L. and B.T.,but got no response. That was earlier this year. Anyway,here is a video about Jimmy.

http://www.histori.ca/minutes....d=14227

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2009-09-08, 10:34 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Ross v McLarnin. Jimmy lost this one. sad

http://www.sweetboxing.com/showthread.php?p=2697

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2010-10-27, 9:03 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Load ...

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2010-11-05, 10:55 PM | Message # 7
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
A prod from Hillsborough as well, another Ulsterman that's been forgotten about.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2010-11-12, 2:48 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Load ...
So very right RSAUB,and I'm been trying to recifity that for quite a number of years. Whether I'm getting anywhere is another matter. smile But I have left a few pictures etc of Jimmy in Sandy Row Rangers and asked them if they could put one up in their hallway where they have a number of Ulster sports stars including McGuigan. wacko I had already asked the guy who looks after the bar and left him a wee photo which I seen stuck between the optics, I have since been down and seen one of the committee men and left a bigger picture, stuff about Jimmy's Methodist upbringing and Sandy Row connections. We'll see what happens....if anything.

'There's nobody up here but us Orangeman'......Jimmy McLarnin

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2010-11-12, 10:52 PM | Message # 9
Colonel general
Load ...
I take it from that quote of his he was an Orangeman himself?

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2010-11-14, 12:29 PM | Message # 10
Generalissimo
Load ...
Not sure RSAUB. I'm thinking it was code for Ulster Protestant. It happened as he was being carried shoulder high from the ring and was being slapped on the back.

The New York irish gave Jimmy a lot of support I have to say. There was intense rivalry between the irish,jews ands italians. The irish had not had a decent fighter for some time and when Jimmy came along they seen him as the hero they were wanting. He went along with it as Pop (his manager/trainer) made it plain to Jimmy thet they were in it for the money,but on this ocassion its seems Jimmy forgot himself.

'Just before Pop rescued me at the door to the dressing room a giant of a man gave me a paralysing smack between the shoulder blades and yelled: ''The saints be praised,Jimmy boy!''

''Take it easy,'' I yelled back. ''There's nobody up here but us Orangemen.' Maybe it was just as well he didn't seem to hear,''

Another part of his biography says

'The Irish of New York are calling for Jimmy McLarnin.' reported the Los Angeles Times,'and they want him to fight in a neighbourhood where an Orangeman has to tread in fear of his life'

Dublin claimed Jimmy as theirs and said he was from there,but it has been proved beyond any doubt that he was born in NI. His family seem to be from around the Sandy Row/Lisburn Rd area. His mother was a Ferris and there were quite a few of that name in Blythe St.

But outside of that, his boxing record was outstanding and nobody from this island (or maybe even the UK) comes anywhere near Jimmy. He was twice World Welterweight Champion and beat at least 10 World Champions and other fellow Hall of Famers. His brother took up the boxing too and won a few fights as a professional but gave it up to study to become a Methodist Minister.

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2010-11-17, 10:03 PM | Message # 11
Colonel general
Load ...
Very interesting,will have to try and learn more about him.'

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2010-11-20, 12:42 PM | Message # 12
Generalissimo
Load ...
Heres a wee bit to be going on with RSAUB. Notice how McGuigan is on about the tricolour. They never miss a chance

The Belfast Spider...Babyface
Jimmy McLarnin was probably the best fighter ever born on this island. His family lived at the Lisburn Road end of Sandy Row. They moved to Hillsborough where Jimmy was born on 19th December 1907. Here is a brief account of his career from the Ring Magazine. Jimmy McLarnin consistently fought the best fighters in the world for 13 years. Among the great opponents he faced are world champions from seven different weight classes, spanning a total of 48 pounds. In 77 career bouts, he met 15 world champions and five fellow Hall-of-Famers. On five occasions, McLarnin beat a reigning world champion in a non-title bout.
A gifted boxer and dangerous puncher, McLarnin turned pro in 1923 and the following year he decisioned and drew with future flyweight champion Fidel LaBarba in a pair of four-round bouts. His competition got better from there.

In 1925, he beat three world-class fighters in a six-month span -- flyweight champion Pancho Villa in July, future welterweight titlist Jackie Fields in November and future bantamweight champion Bud Taylor in December.

McLarnin challenged lightweight champ Sammy Mandell in 1928 but dropped a 15-round decision. After beating the great Benny Leonard, McLarnin earn a title fight against welterweight king Young Corbett III in 1993. McLarnin knocked Corbett out in the first round. But his reign as champion was brief.

Barney Ross, who had held the lightweight and junior welterweight titles, took the title from McLarnin in May of 1934. He lost the crown back to McLarnin three months later but managed to reclaim the throne with a points win in May of 1935.

McLarnin fought three more times after losing the title. In 1936, he split a pair of 10-round decision with legend Tony Canzoneri and scored a non-title fight decision over lightweight champion Lou Ambers in his final fight.
He has been ranked at 21 amongst the all time boxers at all weights

MIRROR SPORT,Barry McGuigan 27/6/2009
McLarnin was a superstar in the days when boxers in the United States were sporting royalty.
This fellow was on firstname terms with Clark Gable and Jimmy Cagney. He played golf with Bob Hope. He made hundreds of thousands of dollars that today would be worth hundreds of millions.
I knew of McLarnin as a boy growing up in Clones. His name was lumped together with the line of boxing heroes wrapped in the Irish tricolour who became household names in America.
It was not until I opened an exhibition in New York four years ago dedicated to Irish-American fighters I realised what a superstar of Irish boxing McLarnin was. Born in 1908 in Hillsborough, County Down, he left with his family for Vancouver aged three. He was spotted in Canada as a 13- year-old by his mentor Pop Foster, and taken to the United States.
If you thought Naseem Hamed was the first to vault over the ropes like the Crimson Pirate, seventy years before McLarnin was cartwheeling across the rings of Chicago and New York in front of crowds of 60,000.
And boy could he box. He started as a lightweight then moved up to welter.

stellajonnesDate: Saturday, 2023-02-11, 12:16 PM | Message # 13
Private
Load ...
If we're talking about sports, I love American football, and this Lebron James Tiffany and Co Nike Jacket is my favorite team uniform. I enjoy online games as well, but this one is now popular.

markspencerDate: Monday, 2023-02-20, 7:35 AM | Message # 14
Private
Load ...
Thanks for sharing this best stuff with us! Keep sharing! I am new to blog writing. All types of blogs and posts are not helpful for the readers. Here the author is giving good thoughts and suggestions to each and every reader through this article. literature-essay Quality of the content is the main element of the do my paper for me blog and this is the way of writing and presenting.

robertjaceDate: Wednesday, 2023-05-24, 9:25 AM | Message # 15
Private
Load ...
I sport online many games. I like American football that Astros Sequin Jacket is my beloved games jacket and this jackets are a must have clothing item that can keep you warm dry and looking great no metter what the weather is like.

Forum » ..:: Sports ::.. » Other sports » The Belfast Spider
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: