• «
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Stormont
Stormont
CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2012-03-13, 8:29 PM | Message # 16
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
More from the Stormont papers. Ignore the National Anthem. Though to be fair I think it was only here we did stand for it. Don't think they did in England or Scotland

Convent School Pupils and National Anthem The second matter deals with a report in the Press of a special invitation to the showing of a film in the Odeon cinema in Londonderry, attended by the Mayor and Mayoress and other representatives of public bodies. Two hundred seats were reserved for school children. It seems from the remarks of B.B.C officials who were there showing the film that it is customary always when a B.B.C film is being shown for the National Anthem to be played either at the commencement or at the finish of the programme, and in this case they carried out the usual practice. But unfortunately for the whole affair 50 school children from a voluntary intermediate school sat still when the National Anthem was being played.

The Press commented on this action of the children but what I want to bring the attention of the Minister to is that when an official of the school was questioned on this matter he said that it was a matter entirely for the pupils and that the school did not interfere. But the school must have interfered in the teaching of the children, grinding into them not to stand when the National Anthem was played. That is perfectly obvious, and if they interfered to that extent then I feel that there is no reason why they should not now be told that in future they will be expected to honour the National Anthem of this country since they are receiving grants of money to provide these schools.

I say it is an insult to our country and to our Royal Family for these children to act in this manner and I feel it is worse when the insult is tolerated by members of the school who themselves could have apologised on behalf of the children but did not do so. This calls for some comment by the Minister. The time must come when we will have to expect that those who receive public money will show at least some respect for the flag of the country, the anthem of the country, and the country in which they live.

The Minister of Education (Mr. May
The Londonderry County Borough Education Committee asked for permission from us, or approval from us, to regard attendance at school at the film "This is the B.B.C." which hon. Members may have seen, as an attendance for the purpose of relevant regulations about school attendance. We gave this approval because we thought this was a suitable film for senior pupils of the intermediate schools and for the grammar school pupils to see and in fact some 200 children from the intermediate and grammar schools attended.
This opportunity I should like to emphasise this to attend this film of an instructional nature was given to schools of all classes, voluntary and grammar. In other words, the Education Committee tried to give the same opportunities to one class of school as to the other. I have seen the Press reports of the incident in which it is alleged that 50 of these girls from the Convent of Mercy School in Londonderry a grammar school: not a secondary intermediate school did not stand at the time the National Anthem was played. I have called for a full report on the matter but it is not yet available, and in its absence all I can say is this.

If the Press reports are true and correct I must strongly condemn the disloyal
and ill-mannered conduct of these children. [Hon. Members: Hear, hear.] Their action might well have led to an unpleasant incident, and it reflects badly not only on the children themselves but on the school to which they belong and on the teachers responsible for their training. [Hon. Members: Hear, hear.] The local education committee which allowed children from both county and voluntary schools to attend are certainly not being encouraged by action of this nature to give the same opportunities to all children in the future as they have been in the past; and for a teacher to say, as is alleged, that this is a matter for the children themselves and not for the school is to my mind an absolute denial of responsibility.

Surely it is right that all the children in our schools should be taught to respect Her Majesty the Queen. No schools here in Ulster are in any way reluctant to accept any of the very substantial help we give towards the running of their schools and the payment of their teachers, and the least that we ask the least that we ask is that they should not be encouraged to exhibit such disloyal and ill-mannered conduct on any occasion in the future. [Hon. Members: Hear, hear.]Question put and agreed to.
Adjourned accordingly at Ten minutes past Four o'clock until Tuesday next, pursuant to the Resolution of the House of this day.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2012-03-14, 0:31 AM | Message # 17
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
What year did that happen?

Very interesting, that they attended the event knowing the Anthem was going to be played, recieve money from the British tax payer, but didn't stand for the anthem, typical of the fenians, but you have to admire them. Look at how many of our Ulster Protestant rugby fans and even players have stood for the Soldier Song when it's been played at Rugby matches down in Dublin.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2012-03-14, 5:28 AM | Message # 18
Generalissimo
Load ...
That was in 1961. I remember another ocassion when the same thing happened. This time it was in Belfast but again it was a school from Londonderry (might have been the same one). It was a showing of a Shakesphere film at the Opera House(could have been the Hippodrome beside it). They refused to stand at the end. Think the name of the school was Thornhill.

In the rugby the British Ulster flag is hardly seen at Ulster rugby matches nowdays. Another example of Prods falling over themselves to lick ass. Its sickening to watch them grovelling and see the difference between the stance of the two peoples.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2012-03-14, 5:36 AM | Message # 19
Generalissimo
Load ...
Another piece from Stormont. It comes thought that nationalists see themselves as the only people who had to put up with poor housing. It was 'par for the course' all over the UK and Eire at the time. But no, with nationalists its only they who have to suffer or so they want everyone to believe.

Mr. Burns: I had a request from a Protestant gentleman whose wife has been ill for the past two years. She has been in and out of hospital. They have two children. The doctor has told him that there is not much chance for his wife's recovery if he has to remain in the one-roomed flat which they now occupy, a flat which is damp and insanitary. That man must get a house. He also asked for one of these houses. When he asked me I realised that he was a constituent of my hon and learned Friend. That man did not receive a house. It seems to me that no matter what representation is made by any Member of Parliament the local authorities allocate the houses as they see fit and as they think best.
Mr. Diamond: They fall between two stools.

Mr. Burns: This man has not got a house. If the same opportunity had been offered to the gentleman about whom I speak as was offered to the man mentioned by the hon. Member for Mid Derry (Mr. Gormley) then he would
have been delighted and pleased even to go to the village of Park which is not very far from the city of Londonderry.

Mr. Gormley: There are plenty of houses in it yet.

Mr. Burns: I will let him know. We have been told about the wrongs of the Derry City Rural District Council.
Mr. Gormley: Derry City Rural?

Mr. Burns: We have also been told about the good points of Limavady Rural District Council. If my information is correct -I have not the facts and figures here-Limavady Rural District Council

Mr. Gormley: It is wrong before the hon. Member comes out with it.

Mr. Burns: I have not the figures with me, but I quoted them in this House some time ago.

Mr. Gormley: How many homeless are there in Limavady?

Mr. Burns: All the Protestants in Limavady looking for houses are homeless people. There are dozens of them.

Mr. Gormley: Did the hon. Member write to Limavady Council about them?

Mr. Deputy Speaker: The hon. Member should allow the hon. Member for North Londonderry (Mr. Burns) to continue without interruption. He himself got every opportunity to speak.

Mr. Burns: I gave the House the religion of the different appointees. I have not the figures with me now, but believe me I can get them very easily.

It being half past Six o'clock, MR. DEPUTY SPEAKER adjourned the House, without Question put, pursuant to the Standing Order.
Adjourned accordingly at half past Six o'clock

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2012-03-14, 10:43 PM | Message # 20
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Very interesting indeed, yet more evidence of the real truth!

CulzieDate: Friday, 2012-03-16, 5:30 PM | Message # 21
Generalissimo
Load ...
Have a wee duek there every now and again to see if I can find that piece about the 70 houses being built beside the OH and only 14 of them went to Prods. It was that man Joe Burns who brought it up and I think it was in the 1960s section but its hard to trace it as it covers a lot of debates.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Stormont
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: