• »
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Stormont
Stormont
CulzieDate: Friday, 2010-12-31, 10:55 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
From a debate on the floor of the Ulster Parliament.

I am not relying entirely upon my own judgment in a matter of this kind and I should like to quote for the House what a right hon and learned Member who cannot be said to be unfriendly to the Government recently wrote in the Belfast Telegraph. He said:

"Today after 20 years there was no sign of such a return to the Christian virtues. The moral disintegration continued unchecked, and the country, already on the slippery slope, was going downhill at an accelerating pace. Today Britain was morally at the lowest ebb in all her long history and they were touching depths never previously plummed." That was said by the right hon and learned Member for St. Anne's (Mr. Warnock), as reported in the
Belfast Telegraph of 23rd January, 1962.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2011-01-01, 3:00 AM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
And that was back then, if he seen this nation today, it's changed beyond belief.

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2011-01-01, 2:13 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Aye I wondered what he would make of it now. The writing was on the wall away back then. I'm not being elistist far from it but I think something which might have had some bearing on things was that for the first time entrance to university was made mor widely available. The Labour Party brought that in in 1945 I think. Those born around that time would have been coming out of the universities in the 1960s

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-01-09, 7:49 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
Page 9,1961
Mr. J. F. Stewart: I live in Dungannon, as the Prime Minister knows. [Laughter.]The Prime Minister: I am not accusing these Protestant gentlemen of being members of the Communist Party but I am accusing the Connolly organisation of being a Communist organisation. I am satisfied further that the Connolly Association was responsible for this telegram. I am not and I cannot be responsible for every statement or every pamphlet that is issued in this country and I refuse to be so, but I want to draw the attention of hon. Members opposite if they are accusing us of discrimination to an advertisement in a County Down paper addressed to the Catholic electors of Downpatrick advising them how to vote for the nine Nationalist candidates for the Downpatrick Urban Council. I think what I have said reinforces my view that there is no good purpose to be served by stimulating the efforts of a body like the Connolly Association or any other to build up sectarian feeling in this country.

Pages 35-36 1961

Mr. W. R. Boyd: (NI Labour) One can only say that despite this activity and interest in the workers engendered by this prodding either from behind or at the flank of the Nationalists they still cannot discuss the rights of the workers or anybody else without bringing in these old hoary charges and re-opening old sores. That is a thing against which I must once again protest. I protest against this business of trying to make it appear that discrimination is exercised by one section of the community only against the other, and that, in fact, unemployment is the lot of one section of the community only.
It is quite evident that discrimination is practised by people of different political and religious persuasions and I am quite sure in my own mind that there are Roman Catholic employers just as there may be Protestant employers who practise discrimination. It is not confined to one section. It may be that in Northern Ireland, since the majority of employers are of the main denomination, one has more cause to talk about it, but my view is the least said about these things the better for the progress, security and the future of our country and our people. There are so many
things we could do, so many things we could usefully talk about. As Members elected by the people to serve their interests we could very usefully give much more time to discussing the purely economic affairs of Northern Ireland without recourse to these old sores.
At the weekend about 700 workers were paid off from the shipyard. I am quite sure, as every hon. Member is quite sure, that the vast majority of those workers were Protestant, many of them from my own constituency, Woodvale, which is on the Shankill Road. I know my people are suffering unemployment but I am not going to say that my people are the only ones suffering unemployment. This matter should be treated on the basis of our Northern Ireland economy and not on the basis of any particular minority.
Again, we are told that Roman Catholics are denied employment because of their religion, but despite our probing we have never yet been told on what basis employment is to be offered. Are we, for instance, to decide that according to the basis of population so many Protestants and so many Roman Catholics will be offered employment in a firm? I do not believe in this kind of thing and I am sure that hon. Members behind me who voice protests in the matter would not wish to subscribe to this idea either. We have simply to forget about these things. Let the people live peaceably. Let us concentrate on the real, powerful economic factors in our community. Let us see how we can help all our people to become more prosperous, live more peaceably and bring greater stability and security to Northern Ireland.
We in Northern Ireland are at a disadvantage compared with the rest of the United Kingdom in so far as we are separated from the main market. We have our difficulties in the lack of raw materials and things like that, and there is always the idea at the back of certain people's minds that we ought to work for less. I shall be quite frank. I believe that the hard-headed Ulsterman already works harder than his counterpart in Britain. I am sure that if we were to ask anyone living across the Channel he would subscribe to the point of view that our people are more industrious. That is as it should be.

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-01-09, 8:04 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Pages 51-52

Mr. Scott: (Unionist) While thanking the Minister for his reply might I ask him whether he is aware that in many cases in Belfast a rent of £4 10s Od is imposed for the use of two small rooms with as many as five families sharing the toilet and bathroom? Would he not agree that this is exploitation by certain individuals due to acute housing shortage?
Mr. W. J. Morgan: I am not aware of some of the cases mentioned by hon. Members, particularly the one mentioned by my hon. Friend the Member for Bloomfield (Mr. Scott). I would remind the hon. Member that the Excessive Rents (Prevention) Act was originally enacted in 1941 to deal with abnormal housing problems arising from the air raids and that persons whose homes were damaged might be compelled to pay unreasonable rents for alternative accommodation.

Pages 135-136
W.R. Boyd (NI Labour) I am entirely and utterly opposed to the Common Market idea. It would be far better for our country to seek increased trade with the United States of America where there are almost 200 million people or on the other hand with the Soviet Union where there are over 200 million people. Here are two tremendous blocks in the world today where we could expand our trade.
Mr. W. R. Boyd: If Britain does, in fact, join the European Common Market it will break our close bonds of blood, race and culture with the Commonwealth. It will also break our economic ties. I believe that America is waiting to take over. I would reinforce what the hon. Member for Cromac said. The British Commonwealth is the greatest institution for peace and progress in the world. Not only for Ulster but for Britain the way forward is to increase enormously our trade which has been deplorably and disastrously allowed to go down the hill in recent years.

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2011-01-10, 9:18 PM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
Mr Boyd was right, and its all turned out so true.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2011-01-10, 9:56 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yip and he said this away back in 1961. But there were other stronger forces at work... and Mr Boyd even then mentioned ''I believe America is waiting to take over''

CulzieDate: Monday, 2011-03-21, 5:29 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Load ...
Mr. Minford: Maybe they are changed times, but no one from that side of the House has ever come out into the open and said that that statement is wrong. I would sincerely trust that those who do not hold those views will support me in my Motion. It is because of this flag that our people have a very wide field of freedom. They can express their views as they desire provided they do not advocate the use of force. I want the Minister of Education today to give us the assurance that this symbol, the Union Jack, will fly freely and proudly at all our county schools during the teaching days. This, I think, should appeal very much to a loyal man such as the Minister is.

I do not think that that for which I ask would be using the flag in an unworthy manner. What is wrong in letting our children have before them on all school days the Union Jack, the flag of our country? At Parkgate school, near Templepatrick, which my youngest son attends, the Union Jack is raised every morning and taken in every evening. This is done by one of the pupils in the senior form, to which my son belongs. I think that this benefits the school, and it is only fitting and proper that what is done at the school at Parkgate, a local school, should be done at every other school.

I personally can see no reason why it cannot be done. I believe our children should be given the chance of understanding that this is the only symbol that can guarantee them the British way of life and secure for them a free and honourable and prosperous future. If it should ever happen that Northern Ireland should cease to be a part of the United Kingdom the Union Jack would lose its true meaning; so in maintaining our Constitution we are literally keeping this glorious and historic flag flying. I want it to be made perfectly clear today that it is the Government's intention to
keep this flag flying. Let our children see our determination in having it flown at all our schools.

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2011-03-21, 11:25 PM | Message # 9
Colonel general
Load ...
How many decades ago was this speech made?

If only our people were encouraged to be proud of our flag and Country.

Oh one can dream…

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2011-03-22, 10:08 PM | Message # 10
Generalissimo
Load ...
That was in June 1967 RSAUB. I may have mentioned before but the school my kids went to had both the Union and Ulster flags in their Assembly Hall. They were in holders on the wall above the platform.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2011-03-25, 7:52 PM | Message # 11
Generalissimo
Load ...
Joe Burns was Unionist member for North Londonderry (county). The poor Micks were downtrodden while the Prods were living in 'white mansions' at least that was the story that the 'civil righters' and catholics put out in the sixties

Stormont 1960 697-698.

Mr. Burns: North Londonderry. Does my right hon. Friend realise that in my own constituency I can call to mind 11 houses under the control of Limavady Rural District Council that have neither water, sewerage nor light, that these houses were built over 10 years ago and that this state of affairs occurs in many areas in the rural districts?

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2011-03-25, 11:25 PM | Message # 12
Colonel general
Load ...
Yip, they set out their pitch and sold their story fantastically well, regardless of historical facts or reality. Nothing gets in the way of a good story when it comes to the Irish.

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2011-03-26, 11:55 AM | Message # 13
Generalissimo
Load ...
They built up the sympathy over many years and to try and get the truth out was near impossible.

I was trying to find where Joe Burns had been speaking before about housing and saying that seventy-five houses had been built beside an Orange Hall. Out of these seventy-five only thirteen went to Protestants. This beside an Orange Hall! Of course McAteer came in with the old sneering,scoffing remarks again...'we should have got them all'

Then some people wonder why the Prods got fed up trying to please/work with them. What was the point. No matter what you did it was never enough, nor ever would be. It was another agenda they had.

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2011-03-27, 4:48 PM | Message # 14
Colonel general
Load ...
Yes that is indeed the problem, no matter what we do to appease them, they will always look for more. Like spoilt children always looking for more.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2011-03-28, 5:21 PM | Message # 15
Generalissimo
Load ...
And they look at it too as its all taking off the state. Its all gist to the mill. Sometimes I think we are good value for it as we sit like dummies and don't put our side of it. More so the politicans but the ordinary Prod too doesn't seem interested in challenging these things they come out with. One has only to look at the housing estates which were built by the Stormont Unionist goverment. The Catholics got more than their fair share of these. Yet our politicans say nothing about this. It was left to people like Dr Gudgin to point these things out.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Stormont
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: