Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Letters From The Past
Letters From The Past
CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2011-01-18, 9:04 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Some letters from bygone days.

First Class: As a non-Irish Ulster Protestant it never ceases to amaze me that there are still some Protestants that are prepared to call themselves Irish,even though it is patently obvious that they are only second class Irish.

The latest campaign by Irish Americans over alleged discrimination against Roman Catholics by one of our leading industries reinforces this fact, Does anyone honestly believe that if there was alleged discrimination against Protestants that Irish-Americans or the Irish would be remotely interested?

Are Irish Protestants happy that in films,literature,drama and radio etc the Irish are portrayed as either priests,nuns or IRA sympathisers and that Irish Protestants are unheard of? Deep down the Irish know that Protestants are not really Irish and only go along with it for propaganda and political reasons.

Iam delighted that Iam a first class Ulsterman and do not have to suffer as a second class Irish man every time Irish culture,identity and politics is highlighted. Non-Irish Bangor,Co Down,

RECENT correspondents to Writeback who have vilified the Ulster-Scots identity and heritage should note that the European Bureau for Lesser Used Languages has accepted Ulster Scots,a variant of the Scots language,as having the same status as that awarded to Irish gaelic,

Perhaps the various funding bodies and the media should heed the words of Jacques Santier,President of the EC, who stated: ''Raising awareness of this linguistic and cultured diversity is very important''. At present the Ulster-Scots output by the BBC is a disgrace when compared to the broadcasting time given to the Irish-Gaelic identity. Even worse is the attitude of the various Goverment funding bodies who are known to favour imposing an Irish identity for everyone living in Ulster,regardless of individual's perceived ethos.

The distinctive Ulster-Scots and heritage,in all its rich and various forms - folklore,symbolism and history - must be given equality of treatment with Irish-Gaelic. The singular promotion of an Irish Gaelic identity needs to be addressed so that the Ulster-Scots identity has parity of esteem,something evidently lacking at present. ULSTER-SCOT, Dundonald, Belfast.

Contrary to the sentiments of Concerned Commanche (Writeback,March 24), Non-Celt (Writeback,March 19) is justified in differentiating the Ulster-Scots from the Irish nationalists who emigrated to the USA much later.

They looked on themselves not as Irish but as Ulster-Scots and so astonishing were their achievements that Irish nationalists have hijacked much of their culture for their own self-interest and bigoted nationalist propaganda. The Ulster-Scots know all about genocide. The first known attempts in Ireland were perpetrated about 1,800 years ago when tribes from Connaught and Meath drove out most of the indigenous Ulster people.

The return of their descendants from Scotland in the 17th century brought fresh attempts of extermination. From the slaughter in 1641 to the recent ethnic-cleansing of Protestants,especially in Ulster's border regions,it is apparent nothing ever changes. ALBANACH EIREANNACH, Newtownabbey,Co Antrim.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2011-01-19, 6:14 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
The letters are first class.

The traitors who class themselves as Irish within our own community are either traitors or lazy fools who can’t be bothered learning or explaining their own ethnic and cultural identity.

The Irish in America have been very quick to steal everything about the Ulster Scots historical heritage, wither it be from the heroes who fought at the Alamo or the presidents of Ulster Scots descent and education and propaganda have played a major part, many who incorrectly perceive themselves to be Irish or of Ulster Scots heritage, although people have been waking up over last decade or so.

There’s an old saying that the truth will always win through in the end, this unfortunately isn’t true, but in today’s modern digital age with the internet used by practically everyone, people who have an interest in history and political matters can no longer live in ignorance.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2011-01-19, 8:33 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Traitors and lazy fools sums them up. They lazy fools are 'easy meat' for the irish who can easily give them a story and entice them to to an identity because they are too lazy or ignorant to search out and give recognition to their own. The traitors are either bought or have an agenda of irishisation of Ulster. But all is not lost some are asking questions about their Ullishness,especially when the wee Ulster songs are sang. Music is a way of gettin a message and an identity across. People will probably pick up quicker on a song and its words rather than a thousand written or spoken words.

Another letter. By the way these letters were published in the Tele in 1997.

I wish to take issue with the comments made by J.D. (Writeback,March 6), who stated that there was no such thing as an Ulster-Scots language. I can appreciate the feeling of consernation which he will experience on learning of the indisputable evidence which confirms the existence of the Ulster-Scots language.

This was the only language spoken thoughout the island by its inhabitants about 6,000 years before the Irish chose to invade it in 130 AD. To support the authority of this claim I would refer to the Etymological Dictionary of the Scottish Language which was published in 1808 by Dr John Jamieson,of Glasgow. A revised and enlarged edition was published by John Longnuir in 1867 which included a dissertation by Dr Jamieson on the origin of the Scottish language.

I feel privileged to possess this volume,which,for almost two centuries,has attracted the admiration of all who have to consult it. It is significant to note that Dr Jamieson's dictionary contains approximately 32,000 words and this figure should be augmented,as an additional volume is at present being prepared for publication by Edinburgh University.

Several renowned historians and linguists have clearly outlined the movement of the inital inhabitants to this island which occurred about 6,000 BC and have identified them as belonging to the Gothic Nation. They were a race of Germanic people who had originated from a region close to the Baltic Sea but had later settled in Norway. During the Roman occupation of Britain in 54 AD the Romans described the Goths in Ireland as Scotti (Scots) and it was from this source that the identity of the Ulster-Scots was first established. George A, Bowsie, Carryduff,Co Down

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2011-01-19, 9:07 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Load ...
Excellent letter again.

You are right, music is more powerful than literature as it simply appeals to more people and the words of a song, stick in peoples heads.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2011-01-19, 9:57 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
A wee bit of a drink on Saturday night there and sang one with an Ulster theme..an ordinary song,not political or sectarian. There were a few people asking about it afterwards. So they are interested and identifying with the song and its words. Don't forget there could be up to fifty people in the room and so its reaching them in the 2/3/4 minutes it takes for the song.

A few of the fellas who play at these places have asked for the words etc so if they are playing and singing at the different places they play its reaching a good few more people.

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2011-01-19, 11:23 PM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
Well done, good idea, wish I could sing myself, we need a few Ulster folk singers

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2011-01-20, 4:09 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
We all have our strengths and weaknesses some things I wish I could do too. But you usually find that most people are reasonably good at something. I'm not a great singer just passable. As Richard Hayward said the role of the folk songer is to tell his story not to compete with an opera singer. Thats my excuse as well. biggrin

The micks say we haven't the genes to write and sing songs. Its nice to prove them wrong. smile But they are a laugh. Danny Boy was written by an Englishman and another well known irish one by a Dutchman. Don't know if they claim Red Rose Cafe, but it too I believe was written by another Dutchman

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2011-01-20, 6:17 PM | Message # 8
Colonel general
Load ...
Aye according to them we are cold and have no passion while they are so artistic, aye i agree to an extent with them, they are brilliant at telling porky pies..

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2011-01-20, 7:34 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yip spot on, and also claiming things which they have no right to claim. Come to think of it I suppose thats the same as telling porky pies

KathyLoebDate: Wednesday, 2022-07-27, 7:33 PM | Message # 10
Private
Group: Users
Load ...
I never knew how to write such good letters. My writing skills are not strong enough. So as a student, I always turn to essay writing service uk for help with writing assignments. And it helps me a lot in my studies.

Ronald_TolkienDate: Saturday, 2022-09-17, 11:52 AM | Message # 11
Private
Load ...
I thought worthy and fair academic writing assistance websites couldn’t exist until I found proessays. It’s so relaxing to know that there always is a reliable source of help while studying. I got my life back on track since we started working together. Thank you, guys!

jamesnfoewn4Date: Wednesday, 2022-09-21, 1:41 PM | Message # 12
Private
Load ...
It's a pity that during my studies at the university I did not come across such useful and convenient tools, I hope now young people will talk less about their deprivation surprised

louisarthurDate: Thursday, 2022-09-22, 11:18 AM | Message # 13
Private
Load ...
Knowledge is not a past, when every we read any thing and our brain few thing which are informative or useful for us, I 'm a nurse and I read several different Health Care Dissertation Topics and every time I read the previous one I found more new things.

jamesnfoewn4Date: Wednesday, 2022-09-28, 12:17 PM | Message # 14
Private
Load ...
for the most part it is a useful experience that we use in our daily life for all of us

Bob194Date: Sunday, 2022-11-27, 10:30 AM | Message # 15
Private
Load ...
when you read these letters from the past, you are filled with some nostalgia. It always amazed me how it was possible to write such letters correctly and without mistakes. Writing anything is somehow terrifying for me. That's why I use RushMyEssay UK This applies to dissertations as well as homework. it's good that nowadays there is such a resource

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Letters From The Past
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: