Saturday, 2024-05-18, 9:55 PM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Protestant schools under threat in Donegal
Protestant schools under threat in Donegal
RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2012-02-12, 3:36 AM | Message # 1
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Protestant schools under threat in Donegal There are fears the majority of protestant schools in Donegal will be forced to close
Two Donegal clergymen have said they fear the majority of Protestant schools in the county will be forced to close because of education cuts.

Father John Joe Duffy from Arranmore Island and the Church of Ireland Minister in Ardara, Reverend John Deane have issued a statement condemning the move.

The Irish Government is considering closing or merging schools which have fewer than 20 pupils. One fifth of all primary schools in the Republic cater for fewer than 50 pupils.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
We feel we're losing part of our culture and identity and we're worried.”
End Quote
Rev. John Deane

Reverend John Deane said 27 out of the 31 protestant schools in Co. Donegal will be severely affected.

Father Duffy said it could have huge consequences.

"While these savage budget attacks are not directly aimed at Protestant schools, indirectly it will close down almost every Protestant school in Co Donegal and many throughout the country," he said.

"For every Protestant school in Co Donegal that will be affected, Three Catholic schools will also be affected.

"It will affect in total 101 out of 175 schools in Co Donegal."

Loss of culture
Rev. John Deane said the community is devastated.

"We are really worried about what's going to happen. We're not sure what's going to happen.

"Our small schools are particularly affected.

"We feel we're losing part of our culture and identity and we're worried.

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2012-02-12, 3:37 AM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Load ...
Sad news indeed, but with class sizes lower than 20, it is inevitable that the schools would close eventually due to falling numbers with an increase in mixed marriages, declining Protestant population and Protestant children also being sent to local Roman Catholic schools because of the superior learning environment that they probably offer due to their sizes and resources.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-02-13, 3:06 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Yeah its always a sad time when this sort of thing happens. Your part about mixed marriages rings true as thats what happens when you are living in a mostly RC area. It was probably worse in times gone past when people tended to say in a particular place and those around them were all RC. The Protestants of Eire are discriminated against and its not so long ago that I read of the only hospital with a Protestant ethos was up for closure. I can't remember all the details except that the COI minister/bishops were kicking up about it.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2012-02-13, 5:11 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Load ...
Sad times indeed, but this all boils down to a numbers game. Unfortunately over time if you haven’t got the numbers to sustain yourself, this is what ends up happening. Your community literally dies on its feet.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-02-13, 6:16 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Did this not happen too to the Mayan people. Maybe not being outbred so much as being forced at the point of a sword to convert to Catholicism but whatever way it happened they became absorbed and became Mexicans. Think thats what happened as I'm not au fait with the actual happenings. The Incas and the Aztecs went the same way. Will the Ullish people be absorbed too? Only time will tell. We survived worse in 1641,1688 and 1798 only this time it is more insidious,and so maybe harder to resist for the unsuspecting masses.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2012-02-15, 3:11 AM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
I think in the past, when we’re under-attack we will respond and fight back and dig our feet in. Now our people are like lambs to the slaughter and if they don’t wake up soon, they will wake up in the big green Irish bog, from some of the posts I’ve seen recently on other loyalist forums in regards loyalists getting Irish passports because their a few pounds cheaper and the numbers who now class themselves as Irish is not only depressing it’s downright disgusting!

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2012-02-15, 6:02 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
They would probably call themselves pragmatists. rolleyes Their principle is not to have principles. I have had the offer to go to Alacantic in April. I haven't made up my mind yet but if I do go I'll need a Passport. I'll not be gettin an Irish one thats for sure,even though I could get one for nothing. There are some things above money.

Waking up seems harder for them to do now than in days gone past. We have the dup mayor of Ballymoney going to a gaelic game. Robinson and McCausland have already gone to one. McCausland was a man who was always pointing out the ira connections of the gaa and using that as his reason for shunning them. As fas as I'm aware the gaa has still their grounds and trophies named after ira terrorists. So whats changed? Not the gaa,so it is McCausland and his dup colleagues who have sold out. Though have to say the first unionist I remember having any dealing with the gaa was Bob Stoker. But whatever...they are all licking ass and ''selling their birthright for a mess of potege''

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2012-02-16, 6:48 PM | Message # 8
Colonel general
Load ...
Indeed the GAA has stayed the same, yet our lot have bend-over backwards, traitors!

This DUP mayor is a complete joke and an idiot to boot.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2012-02-16, 11:29 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Load ...
'The love of money is the root of all evil'

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2012-02-17, 2:07 AM | Message # 10
Colonel general
Load ...
Indeed between their egos and money, complete recipe for disaster. In contrast the enemy is passionate and committed to their beliefs but this all comes down to having a strong sense of identity and belief in their cause. When I read these debates about Scottish Independence recently, it’s all about the economy etc, yet I never see mentioned is the desire for the safe-guarding of the British Nation, this is of no real surprise to be as they have been teaching very little of our British history in the normal state sector or even teaching our National Anthem in our schools and been force feeding our people for decades on such evils of Imperialism, basically making us feel ashamed of our former Empire and been promoting a Multi-racial society, where no particular ethnic groups culture is the dominant ethos but that everyone is supposedly equal, this has led to an absolute disaster and actual loss of identity, for our people it seems the British identity is all but dying out the same way our Ulster identity is being carefully eroded by our own politicians, the political establishment and their controlled media like the BBC.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2012-02-17, 10:02 AM | Message # 11
Generalissimo
Load ...
Summed it up there RSAUB. I have often criticised the Americans (or maybe the Feds is more appropiate) as being the people who pushed the multi-racial ticket. However, I must admit that along with that went the promotion of an American identity. The flag in the schoolrooms,in the courthouses. The kids singing their National Anthem in the schools with hand held on heart. The Star Spangled Banner being sang with gusto at various events. That sort of thing just hasn't happened in the UK. A good book to read is 'The British Empire' by Niall Ferguson. He gives a fairly balanced view of its existence. One of the things that sticks in my mind is how the sons of the fathers in the civil service rejected the old ways of their fathers and embarked on a different road. They didn't just reject them but attacked them and decided that things would change. When that malise set in it has continued ever since.

The Ulster identity was very strong at one time. I posted up the figures on here and at one time it was neck and neck between being Ulster and being British with Northern Irish nowhere near . But after the signing of the B.A. you could see the change starting to happen as the media started to use Northern Irish all the time. But now and again there is a wee chink of light shining though like last week when the fella reporting on Rory McIlroy used the name Ulsterman. I think the fella's name was McKay...it sounded like that. Its a joke when they proclaim that they say 'Derry' because 'Londonderry' is a bit long-winded,yet they can say Northernirishman when Ulsterman is shorter. Should be Ullish as that is shorter still and covers both sexes. But suppose thats asking for too much ha.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Protestant schools under threat in Donegal
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: