Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » The Ulster Coat
The Ulster Coat
CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-03-26, 2:55 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/?p=333

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2012-03-26, 4:24 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
I would buy one myself, brilliant looking.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-03-26, 7:26 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
The 'Ulster' I thought was the Saturday night paper until a fella told me years ago that there was a coat called the 'Ulster'. Its something like what Sherlock Holmes wore in the old movies.

Apparently it was made in the 1800s by a guy called McGhee with a shop/business in High St Belfast

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2012-03-26, 9:02 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Load ...
A lot of old designs like that are making a come back in modern fashion. Hopefully some day we'll see it worn back on the streets or on the fashion cat-walks smile getting the name out there!

CulzieDate: Monday, 2012-03-26, 10:21 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yes indeed and you are right about getting the name out there. I got this wee snippet

John McCoy Local Studies Librarian for the S.E.Education and Library Board Ballynahinch Co Down relates the history of the garment WHICH MADE ''ULSTER'' A HOUSEHOLD WORD.

So you wern't wrong when you said about getting the name out there smile It seems this man would agree with you.

http://www.jstor.org/discove....1815103

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2012-03-26, 11:59 PM | Message # 6
Colonel general
Load ...
It's a pity that Irish linen that was mainly produced in Ulster wasn't called Ulster Linen as it became World famous and really would have got across the word Ulster to the World.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2012-03-27, 5:39 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yes indeed. There was a debate I read on the Stormont site and a woman Dinah McNabb think was the name who was advocating this. But the nationalists shot her down and quoted some other unionists who the nationalists said had pushed irish linen as they knew the name 'irish' carried more weight. Mrs McNabb was a strong advocate of the Ulster identity. But like our present day Robinson and Emphy there were those who hadn't the will or the wit (and guts) to take a different road. The republican who said we cling on to Irish or English shirt-tails was one hundred per cent correct.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2012-05-09, 5:20 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Load ...
A couple more of when Ulster was to the fore. More than it is today anyway.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » The Ulster Coat
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: