Tuesday, 2024-04-23, 6:16 AM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » the southron folks... (...and their love for the irish)
the southron folks...
SlappataigDate: Sunday, 2008-08-24, 6:47 PM | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
now PalmettoPatriot im sure is promoting it all he can, but it will take some time for the "irish" love in the south to change into what their forefathers wouldve really wanted.
just what set me off with making this topic is - the southron movement (im not saying the exact SLMNews team) is sadly linked the racist (KKK, neo nazis etc) and the irish republican movements and as ive witnessed on myspace - loads of confederate pages giving comments to and from such said scummy pages and pictures of the "irish" ('specially "Sons of Erin" - two flags of which are on sale in the DR shop) helping the confederates in the war - but on SLMNews homepage - the dixie republic shop advert - theres a big tri colour in the shop! (let me know if im wrong)

i know the ulsterscotsagency and such groups are helping change "irish america (and canada)" and lose sinn feins grip on them, but more folk need to know the truth! i remember stumbling on a klan site once where their was a flags of our fathers shop - wales/englands/scottish and... the tricolour for the irish! i registered so i could complain about it and was abused by the taig members, and thought crazy by the dixies!

let me know if ive mixed anything up - especially the sons of erin part - but if these sorta folks are taking to them i dont wanna be in anything theyre a part of

Message edited by Slappataig - Sunday, 2008-08-24, 7:05 PM

CulzieDate: Monday, 2008-08-25, 12:28 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Just wonderin Slappa.....what your point is.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

SlappataigDate: Monday, 2008-08-25, 2:38 PM | Message # 3
Colonel
Load ...
what needs to happen and when if ever will it be so mainstream to assosiate dixie culture to its proper brother - ulster rather than green oirish culture.

a taig would sit and hear somebody saying something about ulster scots, and he'd be quick to denounce it - as its british/orange culture but if he'd heard somebody talking about dixieland, he'd think nothing of showing support for it and the cause, when really it shouldnt be connected to that surprised

CulzieDate: Monday, 2008-08-25, 4:49 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
I think you can't say a whole people in an area are all for the irish. Its a bit like saying everyone in Ulster is a republican. There are those who would be, there are those who wouldn't.

If a taig supported Dixie there ain't very much the Dixie people can do about that. Maybe a bit like RCs in Ulster who are for the British link. What do we do? Tell them their support for the British link is not welcome ?

If some Dixie people do support the irish view. Then that is a challenge for us,to put them right.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

SlappataigDate: Monday, 2008-08-25, 4:56 PM | Message # 5
Colonel
Load ...
Quote (Culzie)
If some Dixie people do support the irish view. Then that is a challenge for us,to put them right.

thats what i meant - only the way i put it across made it seem the other way round ponder nervous

CulzieDate: Monday, 2008-08-25, 5:20 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Load ...
Oh I see what you mean......or I think I do. biggrin But anyway, as P.P. said there are around 25 million people of Ulster-Scots ancestery in Dixie. So thats the challenge . To make at least some of them aware of their background.

James Webb's book 'Born Fighting' has gone a long way in making these folk aware of who they are,where they come from.

If you go to Amazon and read the customer reviews on this book,you will see how many people are now aware of their roots. One old Granny even going out and buying a copy for each of her grandchildren. So the message is getting across. James Webb was elected as a Senator [or Congressman]. Some say it was because of this book.

SlappataigDate: Monday, 2008-08-25, 7:37 PM | Message # 7
Colonel
Load ...
well thats good to hear

CulzieDate: Monday, 2008-08-25, 8:15 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Load ...
It is indeed Slappa.

PalmettoPatriotDate: Monday, 2008-08-25, 9:14 PM | Message # 9
Group: Removed
Load ...

the thing you have to understand if you what to really get a grasp of what's going on in Dixie is that most native Southrons have been in our land for hundreds of years. We've endured almost a war every generation, when you think about it. We've been occupied for 150 years. So naturally the information in Dixie isn't the best. There are of course those with a vested interest in dirstorting the truth. Any time Southron nationalism has risen up someone steps in and violently puts it down. Most people in the App. Mts. (of whom I would venture to say perhaps 80-90% are Ulster-Scots) would simply say "American" if asked their ancestry. They have heard all their life about Ireland on TV, in movies, in music, in school books, etc and they know the expression 'Scotch-Irish' in many cases. And thus if pressed about where in Europe their ancesors come from, many would just say 'Ireland.' As far as the KKK, you have to realise there have been many version of the Klan throughout the 150 years of our occupation. The first Klan was composed of ex-Confederate soldiers focused largely on running the ocucpational regimes out of their States (for 12 years we were not allowed to vote or hold office, etc and during this time most of our remaining wealth, land, political power, etc. was stolen from us by the 'Freedman's Bureau and the occupying Yankee soldiers). The later Klan during hte 1920's was centered in the mid-west, not Dixie, and was incredibly strong. It had 2 million members and the governorship of a couple States. The later Klan born in the 60's was mostly people opposed to Intergration (which was forced on us by Federal court decree). It had times with very radical movements and was rather violent but small compared to the previous Klans. Today the Klan has very few members - perhaps a few thousand - and almost no credibility or power. Few people anywhere identity with the Klan today though some remember the older Klan - the origional one - which ran the Yankess and carpetbaggers and Scalawags out of Dixie. Anyhow, it would take books and books to explain all this but that's a general answer to a few of your quiries.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2008-08-25, 10:31 PM | Message # 10
Generalissimo
Load ...
Its a pity the term used had not been Ulster-Scots. It is more accurate,as very few immigrated from Eire at this particular time. And it also would have helped to make the distinction between the two peoples.

'The people from Ulster who went to America in the early 1700s were soon to find that there was to be much opposition and resentment to their settling in particular areas. A lack of goodwill was often sensed by them and this sometimes manifested itself in unfriendly comments to them by those who had already settled there. These on occasions,called into question their nationality. In one recorded incident a resident offical spoke in a slighting way to some new arrivals. Terming them as a ''parcel of Irish''

''We are suprised to hear ourselves called Irish people. We are people of the Scottish race in Ulster. It is hard in this new land to be identified with the very people to whom we have always been opposed'' Thus angrily and emphatically objected one of the Ulster clergymen to the disparaging remark. He landed in 1718 in Massachusetts along with 800 of his fellow countrymen. He himself,like many who had sailed with him,had taken an active part in the defence of Londonderry. It must have been extremely galling to veterans of that heroic stand in the 'Maiden City' to be classed as similar in race to those who had been attacking it and trying to drive them out of Ulster.

This careless lumping together of the two distinct races by the offical has often been repeated,and has led to much misunderstanding and,even more,misrepresentation. It has especially in America been very much to the detriment of those of Ulster-Scottish blood. As a result of the protest on that occasion and others later,the settlers from Ulster came to be known as the 'Scotch-Irish'. Whilst this term did make a distinction between them and the Celtic Irish it has often been taken as a combination of the two races,part Irish,part Scottish. It is a great pity the term used had not been 'Ulster-Scots' as it would surely have been more accurate and would have prevented the southern Irish and the so-called Irish Americans from claiming outstanding Ulster Scottish achievements in America to their advantage.

SlappataigDate: Tuesday, 2008-08-26, 1:17 PM | Message # 11
Colonel
Load ...
yes, the differences that wouldve been made if theyd been called the proper name first off, thats right though PP, the Ulster scots desire to become americans while good, made their culture suffer at hands of modern (well last 100 yrs or so) irish.

so who were these sons of erin that supposdly helped you in the civil war?

Message edited by Slappataig - Tuesday, 2008-08-26, 1:18 PM

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2008-08-27, 12:26 PM | Message # 12
Generalissimo
Load ...
Was at the Somme Heritage Centre yesterday. A good and informative day. But it showed you there the 'Sons of Erin' who had fought along with the Sons of Ulster.

I think when you have a common foe. You take help from wherever it comes. Hence the Ullish and the Irish fightin side by side. Don't like the idea much. But nevertheless,it was a fact of life.

SlappataigDate: Wednesday, 2008-08-27, 2:06 PM | Message # 13
Colonel
Load ...
i supose so

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2008-08-27, 9:05 PM | Message # 14
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yep, Although some people say they fought at the Somme together. I don't think so. At Messines....yes. But not the 1st of July on the Somme.

I think there were more Irish on the yankee side actually. Meaghers battalion. But on the same side we had the Ulster Guard form Ulster County in the Gatskilll Mountains. They had the motto A Hand and the words around it...'This Hand For Our Land'

But on the Confederate side we had General McCausland who's family had been forced out of Ulster by Roman Catholics. So there was no hard and fast rule. There were Jews and Black people fighting on both sides.

PalmettoPatriotDate: Thursday, 2008-09-04, 3:02 PM | Message # 15
Group: Removed
Load ...

Both sides had Irish and Ulster forces however the overwhelming makeup of probably a majority of Southrons is Ulster-Scots. Even those who aren't really Ulster-Scots who have lived in Dixie for many generations are in most cases Ulster-Scots culturally, so to speak. That's the mentality of the South. Most of the Irish voluteers on both sides were new arrivals in the New World. Many of them stepped off the boat in New York and stepped into a volunteer line because they had no other option upon their arrival. Many thousands of immigrant soldiers were recruited in Ireland and Germany by the Union (Yankee/Federal) forces. Meanwhile, relatively speaking, the defense of Dixie was a native effort. There were some Carlista volunteers from northern Spain and some Irish and Ulster folks and English, etc but very few relatively speaking. The native people of Dixie were basically fighting an invasion of their land - that was their motivating force. One time a Yankee soldier asked a captured Confederate why the South ws fighting anyhow. The Confederate replied "Because y'all are here." That about sums it up. If they had left us alone things for our people would be 100% better today.

Added (2008-09-04, 3:02 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
The Irish, when they came to America, settled predominently in the major cities of the North. Over time, as their numbers grew quickly (especially in the late 1800's) they gained political power in cities like Boston and New York, etc. These cities are of course centers of Yankee/Federal power in America. New England and New York are the ruling areas of the Empire for all practical purposes. It was a system where if you were Irish or Italian or Jewish when you stepped off the boat oftentimes there was a rep for the local ethnic political boss there to welcome you, perhaps set you up with a place to stay and some work and in return get your loyaly to whoever in your community was calling the shots. This situation was totally different than what was going on in Dixie. While in the Northern cities these ethnic ghettos were forming and different European ethicities were competing for power and control and jobs, etc in Dixie the people were basically of a similiar culture and most of them were farming. The South was divided by race - Black and White - but not amongst the White population for the most part. Anyhow, what I'm getting at is over time the Irish were placed in key centers of influence and power in America and their numbers grew as their power grew and vice versa. All history books in America come from NY or New England. The major media is controlled from there. Banking is controlled from there. So they were much better placed - especially having arrived basically as the Ulster-Scots in Dixie had just been defeated and disenfranchised under the Reconstruction regimes. Hope that helps explain things of little.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » the southron folks... (...and their love for the irish)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: